The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Giant desert hairy scorpion

Go down 
+4
*Connie*
Bayss
Venom
jcopela3
8 posters
AuthorMessage
jcopela3
Hadogenes
jcopela3

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2009-01-22

Giant desert hairy scorpion Empty
PostSubject: Giant desert hairy scorpion   Giant desert hairy scorpion Empty1/25/2009, 12:08 am

is it true they can live 15- 20 years?
Back to top Go down
Venom
Centruroides suffusus
Venom

Number of posts : 2834
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Giant desert hairy scorpion   Giant desert hairy scorpion Empty1/25/2009, 12:55 am

While it's rare.
Yes.
Back to top Go down
Bayss
Tityus
Bayss

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Giant desert hairy scorpion   Giant desert hairy scorpion Empty1/25/2009, 2:04 am

I would guess the length of time would depend on a lot of factors. I've read that temperature matters a lot. If you keep scorpions at the upper end of their suggested temp range they will mature/age faster. Same if you keep them at the lower range of their suggested temp, they might live longer.

I do know that this is a great species to keep. They are big...have interesting coloration and like to sting their food and not just pull it apart...all of which makes it a lot of fun to observe. They are also easy to care for in that you just need an enclosure with sand and a hide. I tried to keep a male/female pair and that failed. I would only house one in an enclosure, but some people have kept them communally. Keep the temperature in the mid 80s. You don't even need to add water because if they are fed regularly they get all their moisture needs met. Mine would eat 1-2 medium crickets once a week. If its a subadult you could mist a corner once every couple weeks, or add a second hide and just mist under it occasionally. That way it can hang out in its own little sauna as needed for molting. If its an adult no need. You don't want to have much humidity as it will kill this scorpion or give it mycosis. Most sites suggest 50% humidity. I personally like this species more than Emperors.
Back to top Go down
jcopela3
Hadogenes
jcopela3

PostSubject: Re: Giant desert hairy scorpion   Giant desert hairy scorpion Empty1/25/2009, 2:22 am

so really all you have to do is get a tank and fill it with sand substrate so it and burrow and just leave it as dry as a bone?
Back to top Go down
Bayss
Tityus
Bayss

PostSubject: Re: Giant desert hairy scorpion   Giant desert hairy scorpion Empty1/25/2009, 4:18 am

Yep...you CAN mist one corner of the tank if it makes you feel better, but it won't do much for your desert hairy...too much humidity will be fatal. I really researched desert hairys before I got one because my first scorpion was an Emperor and I kept it dry and on sand. That didn't turn out so well as you can imagine.

I would just let the desert hairy get all its humidity from food. Especially if its an adult. If it still needs to molt that can be done with some humidity tricks. Abyss is the expert...double check what I have said with him to be safe.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Giant desert hairy scorpion   Giant desert hairy scorpion Empty1/25/2009, 5:17 am

what you have said Bayss is correct.
Although its recomended to mix the sand with excavator clay. Im unsure of the ratio. I think its 20% clay and the rest sand.
To allow it ALL to dry out before introducing the scorpion.
The clay helps burrows to remain strong and for the scorpion to have burrows that dont fall apart Smile

An adult doesnt need ANY humiditiy. A juvi will. but only a small bit under a hide so when its time to moult it can decide where to go.
Any humidity given to an adult will give it mycosis.

im yet to buy a "desert hairy" but in the shop we go to, its never under a heat lamp, in a container in the middle of the shop and the shop is HUMID and I always seen the tell tale dark spots so never buy.
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: Giant desert hairy scorpion   Giant desert hairy scorpion Empty1/25/2009, 2:38 pm

The ratio is around 1/3 or 30% Excavator clay, and 2/3 or 70% sand. (Use whichever ratio is easier for you to measure.) Mix it up well, get it completely wet, and let it dry out completely. Does WONDERS for a Hadrurus's ability to burrow.

*Connie* wrote:
Any humidity given to an adult will give it mycosis.

I'm not sure I can agree with this statement. Yes, humidity will be detrimental to an adult's health, but there's still debate as to what actually causes mycosis. One theory is that they pick up fungal spores from contaminated substrate and moisture allows those spores to develop -- the fact that most mycosis often begins on the pectines or near the booklungs supports this theory (as well as the fact that many WC scorpions have it), and it advocates for the sterilization of substrate.
Back to top Go down
Bayss
Tityus
Bayss

PostSubject: Re: Giant desert hairy scorpion   Giant desert hairy scorpion Empty1/25/2009, 4:59 pm

Is cooking or freezing sustrate the better way to go?
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Giant desert hairy scorpion   Giant desert hairy scorpion Empty1/25/2009, 5:08 pm

some folk stick it in the microwave or oven I think.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Giant desert hairy scorpion   Giant desert hairy scorpion Empty1/26/2009, 12:28 pm

I would think cooking. Freezing goes below developmental thresholds, but doesn't denature proteins.

If you want to be really thorough, get your hands on an autoclave. Very Happy I know where to find a couple on campus and at least one is regularly used to sterilize soil.
Back to top Go down
Bayss
Tityus
Bayss

PostSubject: Re: Giant desert hairy scorpion   Giant desert hairy scorpion Empty1/28/2009, 12:01 am

Oh wow...my brother owns a funeral home and has an autoclave...NO way would he let me sterilize soil in it...haha. I don't need it for substrate...was just wondering. Although it might be good in case I found a cool branch or rock to put in an enclosure. I just had my first experience with coco fiber...cool stuff...I'm hooked. Just need to find some sand to mix with it to make it more interesting in the communal tank. I have sometime to find the right sand as I'm raising the babies in their own little containers til they moult. I'm really thinking about mixing the Glo-in-the-Dark sand with the coco fiber.
Back to top Go down
jcopela3
Hadogenes
jcopela3

PostSubject: Re: Giant desert hairy scorpion   Giant desert hairy scorpion Empty1/28/2009, 12:36 am

why is it that people have difficulty with giant deserts and moulting?
Back to top Go down
Bayss
Tityus
Bayss

PostSubject: Re: Giant desert hairy scorpion   Giant desert hairy scorpion Empty1/28/2009, 12:49 am

I believe it has to do with getting the humidity right. They need to be kept dry to not get mycosis (a scorpion fungal disease). But for them to properly moult they need to have the right humidity for it to be successful. I have read that in the wild this species can easily burrow to get the right level of humidity...not something they can do easily in captivity. Hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
jcopela3
Hadogenes
jcopela3

PostSubject: Re: Giant desert hairy scorpion   Giant desert hairy scorpion Empty1/28/2009, 1:02 am

so in ur experience are desert hairy's very active?
Back to top Go down
Bayss
Tityus
Bayss

PostSubject: Re: Giant desert hairy scorpion   Giant desert hairy scorpion Empty1/28/2009, 1:25 am

Yes. Mine really was active. I had a Hadrurus Arizonensis Pallidus...the real light colored variety. I kept her in an aquarium with a medium sized Exo Terra hide, a cholla log for climbing on...she would run through it when it was flat more than climb on it a lot. All on the Repti Sand for substrate. I would mist the enclosure once in awhile which never caused problems. Mine was a big adult so never had to deal with moults. She was a lot of fun to watch and I really wish I had kept her, but alas, I moved and it would not have been feasible. I really think this is a great species and was what I planned on getting again until I learned more about communal tanks. I am partial to desert hairys and will most likely own another before long. Seeing the picture Abyss posted for the contest made me really miss mine. If you want another scorpion I say get one. They are nice, big, active scorpions that are very beautiful...

If I keep this up I'm gonna have to make another order...hahaha
Back to top Go down
jcopela3
Hadogenes
jcopela3

PostSubject: Re: Giant desert hairy scorpion   Giant desert hairy scorpion Empty1/28/2009, 2:17 am

one more question...i know giant desert hairy's are hardy creatures and my room temperature is about seventy degrees. Do you think i will need a heating device? ive heard they accept food in temperatures as low as the 50's
Back to top Go down
Bayss
Tityus
Bayss

PostSubject: Re: Giant desert hairy scorpion   Giant desert hairy scorpion Empty1/28/2009, 2:28 am

All I had was one of those Under Tank Heaters (UTH). I put mine under the hide...the advice now is to only use these on the side of the tank...so maybe stick it close to the hide on the side...down low...oops. I doubt you need a heating device. They are usually ok in the 70s. Abyss is really the best to ask about desert hairys from what I have read...he has been very successful with them. I only had one, but in my experience I doubt you need a heat bulb or ceramic emitter. You will really love this species. They go full out on their food which makes feeding time a lot of fun. I have read you can mix excavator sand and plain sand...let it dry completely and they make burrows. I don't want a "pet hole" so just use a log or plastic hide which they will use instead. Keep searching online and read posts everywhere you can. Now go buy one...post lots of pics and make me jealous so I'll have to get one again Smile
Back to top Go down
B3Nut
Pandinus

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Giant desert hairy scorpion   Giant desert hairy scorpion Empty1/28/2009, 11:38 am

I can attest (as a relative newb) that these guys are fascinating to watch hunt and eat. Two of mine (recent acquisitions) are really active, the one I've had for a fairly long time not so much. I'll attempt to post a recent photo:

Giant desert hairy scorpion 3230576998_0061f83853

Todd in Cheesecurdistan
Back to top Go down
jcopela3
Hadogenes
jcopela3

PostSubject: Re: Giant desert hairy scorpion   Giant desert hairy scorpion Empty1/29/2009, 10:13 pm

so can one desert hairy live in a five and a half enclosure? is that enough room?
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Giant desert hairy scorpion   Giant desert hairy scorpion Empty1/29/2009, 11:18 pm

yes but 10 gallon is reccomended.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Bayss
Tityus
Bayss

PostSubject: Re: Giant desert hairy scorpion   Giant desert hairy scorpion Empty1/30/2009, 12:03 am

I kept mine in a 20 gal. which was big and kind of a waste of space. A ten would be just right and you could make it really nice.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Giant desert hairy scorpion   Giant desert hairy scorpion Empty1/30/2009, 1:40 am

Mine's in a two-gallon and does fine. It has a cool burrow against the glass.
Back to top Go down
jcopela3
Hadogenes
jcopela3

PostSubject: Re: Giant desert hairy scorpion   Giant desert hairy scorpion Empty1/30/2009, 1:40 am

do you use a heater or does room temp work fine for yours?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Giant desert hairy scorpion   Giant desert hairy scorpion Empty1/30/2009, 2:27 am

The room is heated. It spends most of the time in its burrow, though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Giant desert hairy scorpion   Giant desert hairy scorpion Empty

Back to top Go down

Giant desert hairy scorpion
Page 1 of 1