The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Would different wood be safe?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Bayss
Tityus
Bayss

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Would different wood be safe? Empty
PostSubject: Would different wood be safe?   Would different wood be safe? Empty1/23/2009, 3:14 am

I'm building a jungle gym of sorts for a big mega hide for my communal tank. I'm using cork tiles at slanted angles (like a series of ramps going up and down with landings inbetween) instead of the cork bark slabs because it is thinner and more symmetrical. Basically it will be 12 inches tall and run along the back wall. The idea here is so there will be multiple hides that allow me to observe the scorpions while they are napping without having to always move bark around or reach inside. It will kinda look like this when viewed from the front:
/-\__/-\__/-\__/-\__/-\
/ \ / \ / \ / \ / \

The first question is would it be ok to use thin unfinished wood trim/molding on the edge of the cork tiles to provide a structure and rigidity to the tiles? If I just silicone the 1/4 inch tiles together I doubt it will hold. I know soft woods should be avoided due to resins in the wood. So thin hardwood trim or maybe thin strips of plastic or vinyl could be siliconed along the edge of the cork. Also...do you think silicone will hold cork together or is it just good to stick the cork to the glass? I've never used silicone before. If it doesn't hold wood on wood...is it safe to use a waterproof wood glue in the tank? This will be like a row of cubbies they can hide in. I will have some of the small coconut shell hides in the tank for a different types of hides in case they totally shun my condo. I also got their first individual homes...courteousy of tupperware Smile I have been poking holes all night. The communal tank won't be home til they grow up.
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

Number of posts : 2631
Registration date : 2008-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Would different wood be safe?   Would different wood be safe? Empty1/23/2009, 6:53 am

if the cork is cleaned off from any loose bits of muck i dont see why the silicone shouldn't hold so long as you leave it to set properly
And use aquarium silicone.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Would different wood be safe?   Would different wood be safe? Empty1/23/2009, 11:51 am

Aquarium silicone will be fine as far as safety goes, and it should do fine for holding cork-to-cork as long as it doesn't get too wet (may change the shape of the wood and cause problems).

For using wood molding / trim / whatnot, I would just avoid any particle board or composite materials -- most of the glue in those doesn't hold up well to moisture.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Would different wood be safe?   Would different wood be safe? Empty

Back to top Go down

Would different wood be safe?
Page 1 of 1