The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

4ft aquarium conversion

Go down 
+10
Kuma
Kejser
SickOfYou
LXDNG79
Bayss
lycanlord
*Connie*
Mr. Mordax
scorpion111
LadyRiotControl
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

Number of posts : 2631
Registration date : 2008-07-12

4ft aquarium conversion Empty
PostSubject: 4ft aquarium conversion   4ft aquarium conversion Empty1/22/2009, 10:17 am

As a few of you know I am converting my old 4ft fish tank into compartments for my scorpions... basically to house all my hets

The false bottom thread was very useful to help me with this, although instead of using mesh between the stones and the substrate i cut up the under gravel filter Smile after giving it a good clean i might add!

Anyway first off was to order the glass which cost under a tenner for 4 sheets. this means each compartment will have a floor space of 10" x 12"
Siliconed the glass into place, 10" apart (my tank is an odd size, i say 4ft but it is actually 50", but makes it easier to space the glass anyway!

I left a 1mm gap under each glass sheet to allow the water to disburse throughout the false bottom

The advantage of using an undergravel filter is that they have tube fittings so the water tube stays fixed in place, and has a cap on it to prevent any accidents.

Anyway due to the fact kids are driving me nuts i will have to post pictures later on.
The heterometrus beccalonae is now house in the 1st completed enclosure, purely because she had the coolest enclosure.. not that this seemed to bother her she has eaten well! but it bothered me.
About 3" short on the substrate but that will be sorted tomorrow, the main thing was to get her into a warm enclosure with a heat mat (she was sitting on top ov a vivarium getting heat from that) and she has a good 3" to dig at until tomorrow

so pics later tonight people...
LRC xxx
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: 4ft aquarium conversion   4ft aquarium conversion Empty1/22/2009, 11:44 am

well good luck lisa. Smile

I got a 20 gal the other day and I'm still not sure what to do with it lol.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: 4ft aquarium conversion   4ft aquarium conversion Empty1/22/2009, 11:50 am

I'm looking forward to the pics. Smile

I want to do a tank that big, but just as one community for H. longimanus.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705

PostSubject: Re: 4ft aquarium conversion   4ft aquarium conversion Empty1/22/2009, 12:39 pm

good luck! it sounds wonderful and i look forward to seeing pictures!
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: 4ft aquarium conversion   4ft aquarium conversion Empty1/22/2009, 4:41 pm

ok here's yesterdays work.... scorpion went in late this afternoon

1) took out all the decor from the aquarium... lovely and smelly under the undergravel filter lol
4ft aquarium conversion DSCF5526

2) Tank now cleaned and 1st dividing glass in place
4ft aquarium conversion DSCF5527

3) There is a rad behind the tank so it cured the silicone over night Smile so in went the stones, cut up filterplate with tube and the substrate... followed by the het. becalonae. Extra substrate going in tomorrow. water has not yet been added for obvious reasons lol!
4ft aquarium conversion DSCF5528

So tomorrow all going well the two het. madraspatensis will be going in
Note the small heat mat in the becalonae. this isn't a permanent fixture just temp until i affix the big heat mats to the back.
And finally to add this picture... it shows the black and brown dappled effect of the colouring which is a pain to catch on camera, this is the first time i have got it properly

4ft aquarium conversion DSCF5531
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: 4ft aquarium conversion   4ft aquarium conversion Empty1/22/2009, 4:52 pm

pretty cool. Smile
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: 4ft aquarium conversion   4ft aquarium conversion Empty1/22/2009, 5:34 pm

4) finished this about an hour or so ago. all the dividing panels are now in
(I need to get some vinegar solution on the glass... far too many streaks for my liking!)
4ft aquarium conversion DSCF5532
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: 4ft aquarium conversion   4ft aquarium conversion Empty1/22/2009, 5:52 pm

man that's so cool! it's deep enough to keep deep burrowers too... you could keep like 10 haplopelmas in dividers in that giant lol.
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: 4ft aquarium conversion   4ft aquarium conversion Empty1/22/2009, 6:19 pm

oi dont go giving my hubby idea's!!!!! it's my chuffing tank!

But I am building him a shed load of smaller tanks for all his haplopelma's and various other earth tigers.

Sit them along the top of the water dragon viv, so yes we could get about 10 on top of there because that is 4ft long too!
Works out a lot cheaper building your own, especially when you buy the glass in bulk Smile
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

Number of posts : 2916
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: 4ft aquarium conversion   4ft aquarium conversion Empty1/22/2009, 6:42 pm

Looks great lisa

Im thinking of doing something similar for pokies Very Happy
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: 4ft aquarium conversion   4ft aquarium conversion Empty1/22/2009, 8:29 pm

i'm kicking myself really because it is such an obvious thing to do if you are practical enough, i wish i had thought of doing something like this years ago!

And i reckon a row of pokies would look good too!
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: 4ft aquarium conversion   4ft aquarium conversion Empty1/23/2009, 1:57 am

Looks awesome. Very Happy Now I want to see it with each section filled!
Back to top Go down
Bayss
Tityus
Bayss

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: 4ft aquarium conversion   4ft aquarium conversion Empty1/23/2009, 2:26 am

That looks really really nice. I have been working on my 20 gal tank...building a mega hide out of cork tiles that will allow me to see them when they are napping out. I hope it works. Keep giving us more pics Lisa Smile
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: 4ft aquarium conversion   4ft aquarium conversion Empty1/23/2009, 6:24 am

Mr. Mordax wrote:
Looks awesome. Very Happy Now I want to see it with each section filled!

Hahahaha that wont tank me long mike! 2 more are about to go in!

And Bayss, sounds like a good idea you have there you will have to get some pics when it is finished Smile Only problem i found with 'peek-a-boo' hides is that they never use them unless you cover the viewing area with card or something. And just take it off to have a nosey Smile
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: 4ft aquarium conversion   4ft aquarium conversion Empty1/23/2009, 10:24 am

4ft aquarium conversion DSCF5535

enclosure 1 is just about finished finished. Substrate level topped up close to 6". heterometrus madraspatensis female in #2 and the het.madras' male is in #4

as you can see enclosure #5 has the filter in place ready for substrate and #3.. i ran out of undergravel filter by about an inch!!!! HOW ANNOYING!

A partial lid is on until I get a full size lid next week. The temperature is pretty snug in there, as a guess it's about 80 degrees... even at the other end of the tank where there is no heat mat.

Sooo planting. I know spiderplants and sweetheart vines grow pretty well in anything, does anyone have any other suggestions for planting?
What have you had in your terranium that grows well?
I think I have seen umberella plants in newly set up terraniums but i dont know how well they do in the long term
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: 4ft aquarium conversion   4ft aquarium conversion Empty1/23/2009, 10:26 am

omg that is soooo sweeeeeet!
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: 4ft aquarium conversion   4ft aquarium conversion Empty1/23/2009, 10:27 am

cheers connie Very Happy
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: 4ft aquarium conversion   4ft aquarium conversion Empty1/23/2009, 10:28 am

for my wedding present, I would like one of those please thank you Very Happy
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: 4ft aquarium conversion   4ft aquarium conversion Empty1/23/2009, 10:30 am

hahahaha! I can just see that on the wedding gift list!

microwave
toaster
other household stuff
big scorpion tank with lots of compartments
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: 4ft aquarium conversion   4ft aquarium conversion Empty1/23/2009, 11:43 am

In regards to planting, I hear that most live plants don't tend to do well with burrowing scorpions. Although spider plants would be pretty cool . . .
Back to top Go down
LXDNG79
Tityus
LXDNG79

Number of posts : 605
Registration date : 2008-10-16

PostSubject: Re: 4ft aquarium conversion   4ft aquarium conversion Empty1/23/2009, 1:19 pm

All I can say is WOW!!! What's going in 3 and 5?
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: 4ft aquarium conversion   4ft aquarium conversion Empty1/23/2009, 3:37 pm

the spinnifers will be going into #3 and the swammerdammi will be going in #5

the spinnifers are 2" at the moment and about to shed so i think they will be fine to go in once they have popped. They are one of those species that you can rely on to eat and shed ok, pretty much leave them to their own devices with little or no problem

the swammerdammi is fat and hardly eats at the moment. it hasn't eaten in ages. so once that has shed a couple of times it can go in too. It's only 1" at the moment so i want to grow it on a little.

I think i may put in spider plants as they are soooo robust and do feed on a lot of stuff that isn't good for other plants.. good air cleaners too if you smoke - as i found out the other day.
~I know sweetheart vines do exceptionally well in these kinds of enclosures. In my last 4ft tank i planted a 3" vine.... 12 months later it covered the entirety of the back glass panel, looked pretty sweet. when i eventually took the tank apart, the longest vine was 8 feet long and had thrown out about 6 runners... thats a lot of plant!
Back to top Go down
Bayss
Tityus
Bayss

PostSubject: Re: 4ft aquarium conversion   4ft aquarium conversion Empty1/23/2009, 8:56 pm

That is looking soooo good! Check out Earth Star Plants...crypthanus I think is the proper name. They do good in terrariums and look really cool...interesting colors and stay compact. They kinda mound up and look like a starfish. Thanks for the tip on my peek-a-boo hides. Maybe they will at least like to climb around on it.
Back to top Go down
Bayss
Tityus
Bayss

PostSubject: Re: 4ft aquarium conversion   4ft aquarium conversion Empty1/24/2009, 1:51 am

Here we go...Cryptanthus Bivittatus or Earth Star
4ft aquarium conversion Pdb_jody_2002-09-24_1032863381988
Back to top Go down
Bayss
Tityus
Bayss

PostSubject: Re: 4ft aquarium conversion   4ft aquarium conversion Empty1/24/2009, 1:53 am

Or Not! Anyway...you can see it online. Apparently they don't want to let anyone see it Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 4ft aquarium conversion   4ft aquarium conversion Empty

Back to top Go down

4ft aquarium conversion
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next