The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones

Go down 
+6
Venom
Mr. Mordax
scorpling~
LXDNG79
The-Scorp-Whisperer
cocogecko
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
cocogecko
Pandinus

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2009-01-05

New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones Empty
PostSubject: New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones   New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones Empty1/14/2009, 8:40 am

Hi, i just went to a pet shop and they had just received some het spinifers! Very Happy But they were starving and surely wild caught because there was mud on them and all.1 had a part of its finger broken.They were so hungry that all of them were eating in the light and out in the open.1 scorp was holding 2 cricks in its claws and 1 in its mouth.1 that was eating 2 crickets almost killed another 1.I thought it was eating 1 cricket because it was not holding anything in its claws but there were 2 cricket heads in its mouth.It grabbed the claw of another scorp and they started fighting and running.Then they stood high( for big scorpions) and started shaking.When the 2 started shaking, the other scorps also started shaking.Is this a way for them to show territory or 'juddering'? affraid Neutral
Back to top Go down
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus
The-Scorp-Whisperer

Number of posts : 539
Registration date : 2008-12-16

PostSubject: Re: New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones   New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones Empty1/14/2009, 8:47 am

I opened a discussion about this same juddering with my emperors here's the topic : https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/the-burrow-in-ghana-emperor-zone-f34/emperors-talking-t2241.htm

As for them being hungry they mustve been starved for weeks for them to be THAT keen to eat im surprised they didnt eat each other in the pet shop.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bebo.com/The_Scorp_Whisperer
cocogecko
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones   New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones Empty1/14/2009, 8:56 am

The scorps were just received and here they are normally wild cought, so they most probably starved in their habitat?
Back to top Go down
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus
The-Scorp-Whisperer

PostSubject: Re: New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones   New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones Empty1/14/2009, 9:01 am

in that case they probably havent eaten since they were captured because remember they came from vietnam n thailand and that place is hoaching with bugs Razz
Back to top Go down
cocogecko
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones   New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones Empty1/14/2009, 9:44 am

I live in Malaysia.Het spinifers are common in the forests here.Maybe het longimanus too? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
LXDNG79
Tityus
LXDNG79

Number of posts : 605
Registration date : 2008-10-16

PostSubject: Re: New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones   New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones Empty1/14/2009, 9:54 am

Well, I'm from Malaysia and maybe I can give you some kind of insights as to how scorpions from here end up int the pet trade. More often than not you will often see souvenir shops with trinkets like these.
New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones Trinke10

The one I got this was run by a whole-scale insect supplier. After some persuasion and convincing, he sold me live Het spinifers for 10rm which is equivalent to less than 2 USD per scorpion. I bought 10.

Wild caught Hets were stacked up against the wall to die by the hundreds in little cookie jars still with traces of earth and mud. This is because they hire the indigenous people to collect them from the forest by the thousands for peanuts.

P.S. could somebody ID that buthid its been bugging me for awhile... I'm thinking Lychas mucronatus but I need a second opinion...

Last edited by LXDNG79 on 1/14/2009, 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LXDNG79
Tityus
LXDNG79

PostSubject: Re: New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones   New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones Empty1/14/2009, 9:56 am

cocogecko wrote:
I live in Malaysia.Het spinifers are common in the forests here.Maybe het longimanus too? Very Happy

Longimanus are restricted to Borneo in parts of Kalimantan and Sarawak. Longimanus distribution is replaced by Spinifer in the peninsular.
Back to top Go down
LXDNG79
Tityus
LXDNG79

PostSubject: Re: New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones   New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones Empty1/14/2009, 10:05 am

Oh and in general Spinnys are always hungry all the time. Most of mine adult (especially the females) and juveniles are the definition of gluttony. they stuff themselves fanatically and can bulk in one straight sitting lasting a day or two if you constantly throw in a cricket every now and then. They will corner down crix in their tanks until they have their traps stuffed and they run out of claws
Back to top Go down
scorpling~
Centruroides
scorpling~

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones   New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones Empty1/14/2009, 10:50 am

they r indeed! mine even ate 2 crickets d same week she molted..
whr's d pet shop at?
i wanna get a few more of h. spinifers
i live in KL..
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones   New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones Empty1/14/2009, 11:21 am

In a situation like that, the juddering may have been territorial, as in "these are MY crickets!" Ordinarily it has to do with courtship.
Back to top Go down
Venom
Centruroides suffusus
Venom

Number of posts : 2834
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones   New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones Empty1/14/2009, 11:46 am

Don't forget to give it water.
Back to top Go down
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus
The-Scorp-Whisperer

PostSubject: Re: New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones   New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones Empty1/14/2009, 7:59 pm

LXDNG79 wrote:
cocogecko wrote:

Longimanus are restricted to Borneo in parts of Kalimantan and Sarawak. Longimanus distribution is replaced by Spinifer in the peninsular.

I knew that the scorp that was on "Expedition Borneo" was a H. Longimanus cause I said to my dad when we were watchin' it "i bet you I could tell you what scorp that is" so I said H. Longimanus and I've been trying my best to find out if I was right and I was Very Happy

but anyways back to the topic at hand, I've never had a problem feeding my spinny whereas all my other scorps have stopped eating althogether.
Back to top Go down
cocogecko
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones   New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones Empty1/15/2009, 4:43 am

Wild caught Hets were stacked up against the wall to die by the hundreds in little cookie jars still with traces of earth and mud. This is because they hire the indigenous people to collect them from the forest by the thousands for peanuts.

Wow, that is very very cruel... and for peanuts?Why do they want peanuts?If they continue this, will het spinifers become extinct here?? No
Back to top Go down
LXDNG79
Tityus
LXDNG79

PostSubject: Re: New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones   New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones Empty1/15/2009, 10:58 am

cocogecko wrote:
will het spinifers become extinct here?? No

the issue is because inverts are rarely ever on Malaysia conservation concern, no one has a hold on assessing wild H. spinifer populations. I intend to put together a team of Malaysian enthusiasts to go together with me and live with the orang asli (indigenous people) to learn how they collect wild scorpions for traders. I've been told they know how to catch them by the thousands. Which also gives me hope regarding their resilience since the yields have remained stable over the years.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones   New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones Empty1/15/2009, 11:41 am

LXDNG79 wrote:
since the yields have remained stable over the years.

Something that I learned in a conservation class I took this fall -- a large number of specimens can be removed and nothing happens, but suddenly you go past a critical point and then they all disappear.
Back to top Go down
LXDNG79
Tityus
LXDNG79

PostSubject: Re: New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones   New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones Empty1/15/2009, 1:15 pm

then that critical point would be sooner than i expected as the yields are in fact increasing over the years; based in interviewing the store lady...
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones   New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones Empty1/15/2009, 1:22 pm

Take a look at this graph:

link

Ignore the numbers, but think of the horizontal axis as population and the vertical axis as stability. You can take out a lot of animals and they'll stay stable in the wild, but at a certain point the stability drops to nothing.
Back to top Go down
LXDNG79
Tityus
LXDNG79

PostSubject: Re: New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones   New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones Empty1/15/2009, 1:47 pm

that is indeed troubling....
Back to top Go down
LXDNG79
Tityus
LXDNG79

PostSubject: Re: New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones   New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones Empty1/15/2009, 1:49 pm

I know that spinifers in the east malaysia are being harvested at an unregulated rate and longimanus are severely losing their habitat; causing them to wander into urban homes where they risk a certain end.
Back to top Go down
cocogecko
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones   New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones Empty1/16/2009, 8:10 am

If they keep on taking so too many scorps they will surely dissapear..... No
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

Number of posts : 2916
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones   New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones Empty1/16/2009, 8:27 am

they may dissapear from the wild but aslong as people like us are out there we can always try repopulate
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones   New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones Empty1/16/2009, 11:44 am

There's issues on reintroducing specimens to the wild that I learned about in that class, as well . . . come to think of it the whole class was a real downer.
Back to top Go down
pandinus
Hadogenes
pandinus

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2009-01-16

PostSubject: Re: New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones   New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones Empty1/18/2009, 3:37 pm

ecology and environmental control classes typically are Crying or Very sad

John
Back to top Go down
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EKS_arachnid_society/
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

Number of posts : 2631
Registration date : 2008-07-12

PostSubject: Re: New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones   New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones Empty1/19/2009, 7:25 pm

on the original subject of hungry spinnifers... mine are total hogs!

I think i am going to have to tong feed them so that when i put 2 crickets in the faster one doesn't catch both!

they are only just over 1" and both had 2 4i crix last week!

as for their habitat i remember having this convo with alex on messenger, I had no idea they were losing their habitat so quickly in the name of financial gain.

I think it will be in our lifetime that we end up losing a lot of species from the wild, and will eventually die out in the hobby. It's a sad thought Sad
Back to top Go down
cocogecko
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones   New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones Empty1/20/2009, 6:55 am

LadyRiotControl wrote:
on the original subject of hungry spinnifers... mine are total hogs!

I think it will be in our lifetime that we end up losing a lot of species from the wild, and will eventually die out in the hobby. It's a sad thought Sad

I cant imagine scorpions going to be extinct in where they come from
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones   New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones Empty

Back to top Go down

New het spinifers at pet store!Hungry ones
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next