The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

New scorp owner issue

Go down 
+4
electrophyste
LadyRiotControl
Mr. Mordax
AirStrike
8 posters
AuthorMessage
AirStrike
Pandinus

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-01-10

New scorp owner issue Empty
PostSubject: New scorp owner issue   New scorp owner issue Empty1/11/2009, 2:16 am

Hey guys I have just got home with my first Scorpion, a Southern Rock scorpion (sp from Australia). I purchased it from the pet store where it was quite lively in their tank, and drove the 10-15mins home. When I got home I found it sitting in the container stiff as a board and not moving. Now it is still alive that much I can work out but it seems to be not moving at all, any thoughts!!
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: New scorp owner issue   New scorp owner issue Empty1/11/2009, 3:13 am

This is pretty typical of new scorpions until they get settled in -- they either hide / play dead, or explore every night trying to figure out how to escape.

Just give him a couple days and see what happens.

Oh, by the way, common names are all but useless, so provide the scientific name if you have it (or provide a pic if you're not sure and we'll point you in the right direction).
Back to top Go down
AirStrike
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: New scorp owner issue   New scorp owner issue Empty1/11/2009, 4:26 am

From what I have researched it is a Cercophonius squama?
http://museumvictoria.com.au/DiscoveryCentre/Infosheets/Southern-or-Wood-Scorpion/
I'll grab some pics later.
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

Number of posts : 2631
Registration date : 2008-07-12

PostSubject: Re: New scorp owner issue   New scorp owner issue Empty1/11/2009, 6:13 am

awww dinky little thing Smile
Back to top Go down
AirStrike
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: New scorp owner issue   New scorp owner issue Empty1/11/2009, 7:11 am

LadyRiotControl wrote:
awww dinky little thing Smile
Yeah the larger ones like you all have are harder to find here. It still hasn't moved a muscle..........starting to think it may have died from shock Shocked
Back to top Go down
electrophyste
Babycurus
electrophyste

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: New scorp owner issue   New scorp owner issue Empty1/11/2009, 11:29 am

nice looking little guy.
Hopefully hes ok and i know that most pet shop have a sertain amount of time you can return an animal if has passed. I live in a small town with a HORRIBLE pet shop and he even has a 48 hour return pollicy. i know a couple ppl that have brought in fish and frogs to the guy and just through them up on the couner and demanded there money back and trust me, a dead animal purchased from there is the last thing a pet shop owner wants on there counter.lol
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: New scorp owner issue   New scorp owner issue Empty1/11/2009, 2:00 pm

When it's dead, its tail will hang out flat behind it and it will start to stink.

Just make sure you have it in the correct conditions (I have no idea what those are, so you may have to do some research) and give it some time to settle in.
Back to top Go down
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus
The-Scorp-Whisperer

Number of posts : 539
Registration date : 2008-12-16

PostSubject: Re: New scorp owner issue   New scorp owner issue Empty1/11/2009, 4:56 pm

It should wake up thats what happened when i got my emps they just clung to the paper trowel they came with for age, i left for college, came back and they were fine.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bebo.com/The_Scorp_Whisperer
AirStrike
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: New scorp owner issue   New scorp owner issue Empty1/11/2009, 11:32 pm

Yeah she seems all good now has started moving around and dug out some of the sand under the piece of cork. They are quite fine at normal room temps but more active with some heat, so I have a heat pad covering about 1/3 of the enclosure (48lt or 12 gallon as you all seem to know it).
Yeah that's what made me think it wasn't dead, it sat for almost 24hrs with its tail high in the air.
Few pics;
New scorp owner issue 100_3391
New scorp owner issue 100_3392
Back to top Go down
bjaeger
Leiurus
bjaeger

Number of posts : 2282
Registration date : 2008-04-29

PostSubject: Re: New scorp owner issue   New scorp owner issue Empty1/12/2009, 12:37 am

Looks like it may be gravid.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/brandonjaeger
electrophyste
Babycurus
electrophyste

PostSubject: Re: New scorp owner issue   New scorp owner issue Empty1/12/2009, 1:40 am

I dont think you have the right species there ill do some checking to see if i cant figure out what it could be. the colour pattern from your link is different from the one you have in your pic.
Back to top Go down
electrophyste
Babycurus
electrophyste

PostSubject: Re: New scorp owner issue   New scorp owner issue Empty1/12/2009, 1:50 am

looks more like a Urodacus manicatus common name is the black rock scorpion. Its also found in Southern Australia.
Hears a ;ink to the care sheet.
http://www.thegreenscorpion.com.au/showcon.toy?cid=60149
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: New scorp owner issue   New scorp owner issue Empty1/12/2009, 2:15 pm

is that tank not really too massive for that scorp? lucky it isnt moving much or you wouldnt see it again!
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: New scorp owner issue   New scorp owner issue Empty1/12/2009, 7:54 pm

You should check out the spiral burrow forums. Operated by Mark Newton an Aus scorpion expert.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
AirStrike
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: New scorp owner issue   New scorp owner issue Empty1/13/2009, 1:35 am

_scorpio_ wrote:
is that tank not really too massive for that scorp? lucky it isnt moving much or you wouldnt see it again!
It is quite large, but I plan on getting more once I have gotten it all down pat.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New scorp owner issue   New scorp owner issue Empty

Back to top Go down

New scorp owner issue
Page 1 of 1