The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Mixing Emps with Millipedes?

Go down 
+4
Kejser
Venom
scorpion111
The-Scorp-Whisperer
8 posters
AuthorMessage
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus
The-Scorp-Whisperer

Number of posts : 539
Registration date : 2008-12-16

Mixing Emps with Millipedes? Empty
PostSubject: Mixing Emps with Millipedes?   Mixing Emps with Millipedes? Empty1/10/2009, 11:50 am

I was thinking the other night about maybe rehousing my Giant African Millipede to my Emperor tank.

I was wondering if that was safe or not would they prey on her, I'm guessing they wouldnt because of the thickness of her body and her size (9.5 inches long and 18mm thick) plus theres the fact that shes is very slow moving compared to most prey items so I would hope they would leave her be but they havent eaten rgularly in months and i hope they dont decide she's a meal and go for her.

Im only thinking about rehoming her because its a bit cold to keep her at room temp this time of year and i dont have another heat mat plus the emp tank is huge so shell have plenty of room to run around etc.

What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
http://www.bebo.com/The_Scorp_Whisperer
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Mixing Emps with Millipedes?   Mixing Emps with Millipedes? Empty1/10/2009, 11:54 am

I don't think this can turn put anyway but the bad way. eventually the scorpion WILL attack the millipede, I wouldn't risk it.
Back to top Go down
Venom
Centruroides suffusus
Venom

Number of posts : 2834
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Mixing Emps with Millipedes?   Mixing Emps with Millipedes? Empty1/10/2009, 1:04 pm

And if they do prey on it, aren't they poisonous?
Cyanide
Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Mixing Emps with Millipedes?   Mixing Emps with Millipedes? Empty1/10/2009, 1:55 pm

Iam pretty sure that the emps will kill and eat the millipedes.. take Scorpions of South Africa the dude shows servel pictures of scorp burrows where there is leftovers of millipedes..
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: Mixing Emps with Millipedes?   Mixing Emps with Millipedes? Empty1/10/2009, 1:57 pm

It's only certain species that produce cyanide -- like the plate millipedes in the PNW. AGBs produce benzoquinone, which is a powerful oxidizing agent (why it stains your hands).

I honestly can't see emps preying on a giant millipede, but I can see them being stressed out by a giant intruder in their burrow and possibly attacking it out of defense.
Back to top Go down
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus
The-Scorp-Whisperer

PostSubject: Re: Mixing Emps with Millipedes?   Mixing Emps with Millipedes? Empty1/10/2009, 8:18 pm

I suppose I'd best leave it then just incase, seemd like a good idea though...right? lol
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: Mixing Emps with Millipedes?   Mixing Emps with Millipedes? Empty1/10/2009, 8:28 pm

Millipedes definetly can be housed with other animals with simmilar care requirements, like Hissing cockroaches for example.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Mixing Emps with Millipedes?   Mixing Emps with Millipedes? Empty1/10/2009, 9:04 pm

Yeah, but a hissing cockroach won't try pinching or stinging a giant millipede, and it doesn't have a burrow to get invaded.
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

Number of posts : 2916
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Mixing Emps with Millipedes?   Mixing Emps with Millipedes? Empty1/10/2009, 9:09 pm

Basically this would end bad, when it comes to mixing species I alwsays tend to say no, no matter how harmles both species are why bother mixing them, even if they would come in to contact in the wild, they aint in the wild now and have nowhere near the same amount of space lol
Back to top Go down
LXDNG79
Tityus
LXDNG79

Number of posts : 605
Registration date : 2008-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Mixing Emps with Millipedes?   Mixing Emps with Millipedes? Empty1/11/2009, 2:17 am

I have smaller millipedes and isopods in some of my Het enclosures as clean up crew.

But these millipedes are collected from nurseries in my area and not bought at the pet store for good money...

They make great janitors of cricket and roach remnants and at least my bigger Hets don't prey on them. But after while they end up as carcasses themselves with a very apparent crush wound mid body somewhere. Then I go out again to replenish the clean-up crew.

So if you intend to keep that giant millipede alive, I'd say don't do it... i have 'pet' millis as well and these I don't mix with the scorps for obvious reasons...

Still I would recommend small easily collectible millis from around your immediate area as cleaners.. check Abyss's tread on the ecologically sustainable Emp and Het enclosures... That was one supreme tutorial I would definitely swear by...
Back to top Go down
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus
The-Scorp-Whisperer

PostSubject: Re: Mixing Emps with Millipedes?   Mixing Emps with Millipedes? Empty1/11/2009, 3:56 pm

Yeah I already keep woodlice in all my tropical enclosures theyre amazingly good at cleaning and preventing mould, ive kept them in my emp tank since i got them and ive not changed the substreat for like a year and theres not a spot of mould anywhere at all, as for millipedes dont get too many in my garden im afraid specially round this time of year theres barely a bug out there.

And to scorpion111 teh reason i even considered askin about this was because i reckoned the milli and my emps have the same environmental requirements and all ide have to do is put a food dish in the tank, but after some more thoughts on the matter ill scrap the idea because i have a big fly problem in my millie and sabah stick insect tanks and the last thing i want to do is pay like money to repalce my emps tanks substrate specially since i have no job right now lol

Cheers for the input guys.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Mixing Emps with Millipedes?   Mixing Emps with Millipedes? Empty1/11/2009, 4:05 pm

If you've got a fly problem with your millies, put a few cobweb spiders in the tank. Smile
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: Mixing Emps with Millipedes?   Mixing Emps with Millipedes? Empty1/11/2009, 4:07 pm

It would be cool if you could put millipedes with scorpions, I' sure there would be some interesting moments.

also, by what I said above I meant housing inoffensive animals with the millipedes. like other species of millipede, crickets (not the feeder ones; the pretty ones), stick insects... that type of thing.
Back to top Go down
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus
The-Scorp-Whisperer

PostSubject: Re: Mixing Emps with Millipedes?   Mixing Emps with Millipedes? Empty1/11/2009, 4:24 pm

Fair enough i just thought there was a chance it worked seing as Emps n giant millies have the same tank conditions and come from roughly the same place.

LXDNG79, where is this article you mentioned?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Mixing Emps with Millipedes?   Mixing Emps with Millipedes? Empty1/11/2009, 4:29 pm

The-Scorp-Whisperer wrote:
LXDNG79, where is this article you mentioned?

Here.
Back to top Go down
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus
The-Scorp-Whisperer

PostSubject: Re: Mixing Emps with Millipedes?   Mixing Emps with Millipedes? Empty1/11/2009, 4:52 pm

I meant where on the forum?
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705

PostSubject: Re: Mixing Emps with Millipedes?   Mixing Emps with Millipedes? Empty1/11/2009, 4:54 pm

click on there "here" that he typed. it was a link
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus
The-Scorp-Whisperer

PostSubject: Re: Mixing Emps with Millipedes?   Mixing Emps with Millipedes? Empty1/11/2009, 5:09 pm

got ya Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mixing Emps with Millipedes?   Mixing Emps with Millipedes? Empty

Back to top Go down

Mixing Emps with Millipedes?
Page 1 of 1