The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
ChatBox

Share | 

Giant Day Gecko Is Thin!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
*Connie*
Post-whore

Number of posts : 3705
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Giant Day Gecko Is Thin!   12/28/2008, 6:45 am

its been gradual but the other day I truely noticed that she is THIN! She was on the glass doors and from her hips it was all dipping, concave.
Adams just cleaned her out and in total shock he told me she really IS losing weight!...it all dips...you can see her spine poking thought her skin! we havent seen that until now because she has been showing us her tummy!

She is eating but she is just losing weight. she was CB and we have had her about 5 years.

Any suggestions? Any ideas?

She has lately been having problems shedding but she has got better! not fantastic but better!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
scorpion111
Post-whore

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Giant Day Gecko Is Thin!   12/28/2008, 7:51 am

mabye some Kind of parasite? like worms? I've heard of animals losing weight due to this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bjaeger
Leiurus

Number of posts : 2282
Registration date : 2008-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Giant Day Gecko Is Thin!   12/28/2008, 8:47 am

scorpion111 wrote:
mabye some Kind of parasite? like worms? I've heard of animals losing weight due to this.
Sounds like it if she's eating and not gaining any weight No
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://youtube.com/brandonjaeger
SEANSEXOTICS
Pandinus

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2008-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Giant Day Gecko Is Thin!   12/28/2008, 10:00 am

Hows the humidity? Raise the humidity to 90% if it isnt there. If you can get a fecal done Id do that also. In the mean time if you have panacur, Take a flat toothpick and dip it in panacur/wormer and if she doesnt lick it then pop her mouth open gently and rub it inside. Wait a day or two to feed her again. Id deffinitley do a fecal. If she is CB and a 5 yr captive then you want to know what is going on in there.
Stress is usuallly the factor in bad parasites starting to take over so i would look at her surroundings to see if anything has changed. Even on the outside looking in.
I just thought of something else- Female?? When you look at her belly does anything look like eggs? Have you ever seen this to know what im talking about? If there is no male a female can still produce eggs and with out fertilization they can become impacted. If she is then it can be life threatening but can easily be avoided. Just need to take care of that first..
Anyway- let me know if there is anything I can do. Normally Id say bring it over so i can look at it, Offer is still there if you want to Jump on a jet. I am 15 minutes from the International Airport.. lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.imagevent.com/seansexotics
*Connie*
Post-whore

PostSubject: Re: Giant Day Gecko Is Thin!   12/28/2008, 5:55 pm

the only thing I can think that hasnt been normal was that she had some mango baby food for a fruit treat. she has had this before and that was about 2 weeks ago!

Will try to get a better look at her tomorrow.

But nothing has changed to be perfectly honest!

Humidity is fine, her colour is great but lately she not been sheding properly and had to have help a few times.

She is probably about 6-7 years old
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore

PostSubject: Re: Giant Day Gecko Is Thin!   12/28/2008, 6:00 pm

Adam says "I have seen her lay an egg before a couple of years ago. she hasnt done it since. she's eating still, she seems fine in herself, she is just really thin. She is still very active"
Back to top Go down
SEANSEXOTICS
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Giant Day Gecko Is Thin!   12/28/2008, 8:06 pm

Try to get a fecal and watch her. If she continues to loose weight then it is a matter of deductions. If she is still eating, still colorfull, and active then I am leaning towards a parasite problem. Parastite are Eating more than she is absorbing. Tough sheds could be just from loose skin. Im not sure of longevity of a day gecko- Im assuming P. grandis? Most common. She may be getting older.
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus

Number of posts : 2916
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Giant Day Gecko Is Thin!   12/28/2008, 8:25 pm

I would also agree with the parasites theory, If it is this it can be terrible if left to late as it is an axtremey slow death.
Get the fecal done and take it from there
Back to top Go down
View user profile
venomous
Hadogenes

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Giant Day Gecko Is Thin!   12/28/2008, 9:46 pm

i wouldn't worry to much most everyone assumes the gecko has parasites unless your not cleaning its tanks often the chance of ii having parasites is slim i have golden geckos leopard geckos house geckos but mostly tokay geckos and some of them lose weight on an off none of them have parasites and there always feed, one of my tokay geckos is pretty thin but is very healthy it gains weight on and off and loses weight alot ive had them for years so i would not worry
Back to top Go down
View user profile
*Connie*
Post-whore

PostSubject: Re: Giant Day Gecko Is Thin!   12/29/2008, 5:00 am

ive been trying to look for her poop BUT she was cleaned out yesterday and didnt even consider looking at her poo!

this morning she is hiding behind some plants which is NICE because she has been out in the open a lot lately!!!

Ive got the mister on so in about 5 minutes it will be SUPER misty and humid in there

xxxx
Back to top Go down
SEANSEXOTICS
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Giant Day Gecko Is Thin!   12/29/2008, 4:58 pm

venomous wrote:
i wouldn't worry to much most everyone assumes the gecko has parasites unless your not cleaning its tanks often the chance of ii having parasites is slim i have golden geckos leopard geckos house geckos but mostly tokay geckos and some of them lose weight on an off none of them have parasites and there always feed, one of my tokay geckos is pretty thin but is very healthy it gains weight on and off and loses weight alot ive had them for years so i would not worry

After many many years I find that you should worry. Especially you dealing with Goldens and Tokays. Parasites can become a problem overnight for even simple reasons. They already have parasites in there guts, The main factor for parasites taking over is usually stress. Even the slightest change can be stressfull. We are just saying to get a Fecal done to be sure.
Your right though, Animals are like people in at times they go through weight changes for no apparent reason but since they cant speak for themselves we need to be responsible and check every avenue. Since Geckos poop on things they climb on a fecal should be easy to collect without agrivating the lizard to much, Hence causing little stress.
I kept and bred Tokays for almost 8 years and never seen a reduction in weight ( 37 Tokays). The only time I had problems with weight was when a Wild caught specimen was acclimating to captivity. All my CB Tokays tamed very very quickly and showed excellent weight. I even have a friend who has a trio he got from me 11 yrs ago adn they are excellent specimens and I see them on atleast a biweekly basis and never noticed any weight changes. How long have you had your Tokays?
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore

PostSubject: Re: Giant Day Gecko Is Thin!   2/14/2009, 2:03 pm

she is dead. I looked at her this morning and she was just basically bones that had been sprayed green. Adam went to put her in the freezer but I said no. There is too much death in this house and I said let her die naturally....

Well ive just looked in the tank and she was on the floor being eaten by crickets. Just taken her out of the tank and she is stiff so must have been a few hours ago.

poor Pimple. We had had her 6 years and the guy in the shop I phoned today said that brood is about 10 years old. So she had a good long life
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Giant Day Gecko Is Thin!   2/14/2009, 3:19 pm

poor girl...

im sorry for your loss connie.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
*Connie*
Post-whore

PostSubject: Re: Giant Day Gecko Is Thin!   2/14/2009, 4:48 pm

it was just gross with the crickets eating at her. I wonder how she died. I know she was dying but this morning and for ages...she has been on the glass and in the morning she was...I wonder if Kiki jumped at her, she let go and fell and died...or if she walked down to the ground and let herself pass on?

Poor Pimple.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Giant Day Gecko Is Thin!   

Back to top Go down

Giant Day Gecko Is Thin!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1