The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Just Checking....... Dietary Requirements

Go down 
+3
Mr. Mordax
*Connie*
ThomasH
7 posters
AuthorMessage
ThomasH
Pandinus

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2008-11-17

Just Checking....... Dietary Requirements Empty
PostSubject: Just Checking....... Dietary Requirements   Just Checking....... Dietary Requirements Empty12/20/2008, 5:27 pm

Will scorps eat dead prey items like a tarantula? Or for some reason do they have to kill their own? I just feel that it is impractical to buy fruit flies.

TBH
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Just Checking....... Dietary Requirements   Just Checking....... Dietary Requirements Empty12/20/2008, 5:36 pm

a scorpion doesnt really eat furit flies. some do as babies...but ive always only fed mine crickets/hoppers/locusts.

I fed my young scorplings pre killed crickets...just so they built thier confidence up...but after a few feeds from dead it was then live food.
And in dead I mean, it gets killed as it goes in so SUPER fresh

xxxx
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
ThomasH
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Just Checking....... Dietary Requirements   Just Checking....... Dietary Requirements Empty12/20/2008, 5:40 pm

*Connie* wrote:

I fed my young scorplings pre killed crickets...just so they built thier confidence up...but after a few feeds from dead it was then live food.
And in dead I mean, it gets killed as it goes in so SUPER fresh

xxxx
Great! That's what I was doing, thought I'd be sure though. My tarantulas dig right on but the scorps are a harder sell. But they get around to it.

TBH
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Just Checking....... Dietary Requirements   Just Checking....... Dietary Requirements Empty12/20/2008, 5:42 pm

trust in them to defend themselves. why not buy SMALL crickets and give it a go.
Back to top Go down
ThomasH
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Just Checking....... Dietary Requirements   Just Checking....... Dietary Requirements Empty12/21/2008, 2:30 pm

*Connie* wrote:
trust in them to defend themselves. why not buy SMALL crickets and give it a go.

I'll get pinheads later on, I just have so many large crickets now. It's basically use them or lose them.
TBH
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Just Checking....... Dietary Requirements   Just Checking....... Dietary Requirements Empty12/21/2008, 4:31 pm

a scorpling can give a large cricket a go Smile again have faith. in the wild they wouldnt only come across pin heads or small crickets. Ive chucked a hopper in with my scorplings and they...well just all killed it and left it...guess they were not hungry but none the less they delt with the situation.

I dont like pin head crickets. I only buy small and upwards for my scorpions and his tarantulas

xxxx
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: Just Checking....... Dietary Requirements   Just Checking....... Dietary Requirements Empty12/21/2008, 7:27 pm

If you throw in a large cricket for a small scorpion, I'd STRONGLY suggest headcrushing it. Crickets have some nasty jaws, and if you crush its head first, it won't be able to bite but should still twitch enough to be perceived as prey.
Back to top Go down
ThomasH
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Just Checking....... Dietary Requirements   Just Checking....... Dietary Requirements Empty12/21/2008, 7:28 pm

*Connie* wrote:
a scorpling can give a large cricket a go Smile again have faith. in the wild they wouldnt only come across pin heads or small crickets. Ive chucked a hopper in with my scorplings and they...well just all killed it and left it...guess they were not hungry but none the less they delt with the situation.

I dont like pin head crickets. I only buy small and upwards for my scorpions and his tarantulas

xxxx
I'll try that. My buthids will be fine.

TBH
Back to top Go down
ThomasH
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Just Checking....... Dietary Requirements   Just Checking....... Dietary Requirements Empty12/21/2008, 7:30 pm

Mr. Mordax wrote:
If you throw in a large cricket for a small scorpion, I'd STRONGLY suggest headcrushing it. Crickets have some nasty jaws, and if you crush its head first, it won't be able to bite but should still twitch enough to be perceived as prey.

I always take the attenae off before feeding. I could just crush both the mandables and it would move seminormally and harmlessly.

TBH
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: Just Checking....... Dietary Requirements   Just Checking....... Dietary Requirements Empty12/21/2008, 7:53 pm

Taking the antennae off doesn't do much to their biting ability.
Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373

PostSubject: Re: Just Checking....... Dietary Requirements   Just Checking....... Dietary Requirements Empty12/21/2008, 11:28 pm

Connie i whould say fruit-flies is a good feeder for alot of baby scorps.. Very Happy i have scorplings thats so bloody small that a pinhead cricket baby whould call them a midget.. iam talking matchhead small..
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Just Checking....... Dietary Requirements   Just Checking....... Dietary Requirements Empty12/22/2008, 4:27 am

ooh but ive not had very small scorplings. I have pandinus and heterometrus...
Back to top Go down
ThomasH
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Just Checking....... Dietary Requirements   Just Checking....... Dietary Requirements Empty12/22/2008, 7:13 pm

Mr. Mordax wrote:
Taking the antennae off doesn't do much to their biting ability.
It disorients them though. When I leave them on they freeze or get away when they meet my animals. My animals have a much better feeding response without antennae.
TBH
Back to top Go down
ThomasH
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Just Checking....... Dietary Requirements   Just Checking....... Dietary Requirements Empty12/22/2008, 7:19 pm

Kejser wrote:
Connie i whould say fruit-flies is a good feeder for alot of baby scorps.. Very Happy i have scorplings thats so bloody small that a pinhead cricket baby whould call them a midget.. iam talking matchhead small..
The slings I have are much larger. A 1/2 inch jacksoni and a 2/3 inch C. vittatus. Not too much concern, it should work with adult crickets.
Thanks,
TBH
Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373

PostSubject: Re: Just Checking....... Dietary Requirements   Just Checking....... Dietary Requirements Empty12/22/2008, 7:24 pm

I whouldnt recommend feeding such small scorpions adult crickets.. you might end up with a happy fat cricket and no scorpion.. i feed my B.jacksoni fruitflies untill 3 instar then i move up to B.dubia nymphs i whould do the same with the C.vittatus
Back to top Go down
ThomasH
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Just Checking....... Dietary Requirements   Just Checking....... Dietary Requirements Empty12/22/2008, 7:40 pm

Kejser wrote:
I whouldnt recommend feeding such small scorpions adult crickets.. you might end up with a happy fat cricket and no scorpion.. i feed my B.jacksoni fruitflies untill 3 instar then i move up to B.dubia nymphs i whould do the same with the C.vittatus

The vittatus is in molt right now. So it will eat crix after the molt. The jacksoni is fat and seems to take very well to dead crix.
A freshly killed cricket probably won't bacterially harm my scorp. That was a concern of mine.
TBH
Back to top Go down
strongboy_f5
Pandinus

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Just Checking....... Dietary Requirements   Just Checking....... Dietary Requirements Empty12/23/2008, 4:29 am

Where do u get the locusts and hoppers?Do u just goto a garden and hunt them or there are petshops which sell them?
Back to top Go down
ThomasH
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Just Checking....... Dietary Requirements   Just Checking....... Dietary Requirements Empty12/23/2008, 11:22 am

strongboy_f5 wrote:
Where do u get the locusts and hoppers?Do u just goto a garden and hunt them or there are petshops which sell them?
Do you mean crickets or mice? You can get them both at pet shops and herp shows. Locusts are illegal to own in America because they are classified as an agricultural hazard. It is not usually a good idea to feed wc's to your invertebrates.
TBH
Back to top Go down
mrflibble
Centruroides
mrflibble

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2008-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Just Checking....... Dietary Requirements   Just Checking....... Dietary Requirements Empty12/23/2008, 5:37 pm

from my limited experience i have found that babies are able to deal with larger crickets provised they are apropriately disabled, e.g. back legs taken off and squashed a bit to semi stun
Just Checking....... Dietary Requirements DSC03559
Just Checking....... Dietary Requirements DSC03563
although, pinheads are preferable for me
Just Checking....... Dietary Requirements DSC03556
Back to top Go down
SeanCasey
Hadogenes

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2008-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Just Checking....... Dietary Requirements   Just Checking....... Dietary Requirements Empty12/23/2008, 6:15 pm

I try to feed smaller than body size prey when ever possible. This prevents over feeding and reduces leftovers, and of course is safer to the scorpion.

Although I must give major credit to one 2i B. Jacksoni out of my recent brood. It had left the mothers back and went after the full adult size cricket I had provided for the mother. When I found it I found the little guy had eaten halfway through the crickets head. Must have been one heck of a scene as the little guy was not that much larger than the crickets head to start with.
Back to top Go down
http://www.calris.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just Checking....... Dietary Requirements   Just Checking....... Dietary Requirements Empty

Back to top Go down

Just Checking....... Dietary Requirements
Page 1 of 1