The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Learnt the hard way after all the advice Hadogenes Paucidens NOT communal

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

Number of posts : 839
Registration date : 2008-09-29

Learnt the hard way after all the advice Hadogenes Paucidens NOT communal Empty
PostSubject: Learnt the hard way after all the advice Hadogenes Paucidens NOT communal   Learnt the hard way after all the advice Hadogenes Paucidens NOT communal Empty12/19/2008, 4:06 pm

Lisa said they wouldn't last two weeks, Lee said they are fine but play it by air. Got one tub to separate them but this morning when i went in to do my daily check, i found that the youngest unsexed one had been ripped apart!!! Had tp learn the hard way......

No the male and female are separated and looking at the underside of the female i see what appear to be white blobs?? Could she be.....

....maybe thats why she took apart her tank mate...hormonal!?
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

Number of posts : 2631
Registration date : 2008-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Learnt the hard way after all the advice Hadogenes Paucidens NOT communal   Learnt the hard way after all the advice Hadogenes Paucidens NOT communal Empty12/19/2008, 4:16 pm

They have quite thick membranes so if she is pregnant you wont know for quite some time. they have a gestation of 18-20 months. and I dont think you would be able to see them from the underside? Even when days off dropping the young you couldn't see white blobs in my female... she just looked over fed!

If memory serves me correctly I dont think the female looked big enough to be mature, but it was a couple of weeks ago and i have slept since then lol.

Really sorry to hear about the loss it is a shame Sad they are great looking flatrocks.
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

PostSubject: Re: Learnt the hard way after all the advice Hadogenes Paucidens NOT communal   Learnt the hard way after all the advice Hadogenes Paucidens NOT communal Empty12/19/2008, 4:20 pm

these are distinct white blobs on her underside, she's not that bulky really apart from her last meal. i'd take a picture but my camera's really whack! Think the flash is gone
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: Learnt the hard way after all the advice Hadogenes Paucidens NOT communal   Learnt the hard way after all the advice Hadogenes Paucidens NOT communal Empty12/19/2008, 4:21 pm

in between the belly plates?
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

PostSubject: Re: Learnt the hard way after all the advice Hadogenes Paucidens NOT communal   Learnt the hard way after all the advice Hadogenes Paucidens NOT communal Empty12/19/2008, 4:22 pm

yeah and they're clearly white.. cant see it from the sides though only the bottom
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: Learnt the hard way after all the advice Hadogenes Paucidens NOT communal   Learnt the hard way after all the advice Hadogenes Paucidens NOT communal Empty12/19/2008, 4:25 pm

hmm... I suppose it's possible.

If she is then you have dropped yourself in at the deep end for rearing scorplings.... these are some of the hardest to raise! Not impossible though Smile

I have my fingers crossed for you and by all means give me a shout if you need help Smile
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

PostSubject: Re: Learnt the hard way after all the advice Hadogenes Paucidens NOT communal   Learnt the hard way after all the advice Hadogenes Paucidens NOT communal Empty12/19/2008, 4:29 pm

Ok if i can somehow get a decent pic i'll post it up, know i can trust you for good advice. Always been concerned about dry kept species dont them and their young have molting problems?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Learnt the hard way after all the advice Hadogenes Paucidens NOT communal   Learnt the hard way after all the advice Hadogenes Paucidens NOT communal Empty12/19/2008, 4:38 pm

Are you sure those white blobs aren't her booklungs?

Just thought I'd throw that out there . . .
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

PostSubject: Re: Learnt the hard way after all the advice Hadogenes Paucidens NOT communal   Learnt the hard way after all the advice Hadogenes Paucidens NOT communal Empty12/19/2008, 4:43 pm

saw four or five, maybe more... dont know what booklungs are? any photos?

Lisa: got your PM thanks i'll reply when i get to work Wink
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: Learnt the hard way after all the advice Hadogenes Paucidens NOT communal   Learnt the hard way after all the advice Hadogenes Paucidens NOT communal Empty12/19/2008, 4:46 pm

I never had a problem personally but I have heard people have had problems with moulting.

If you stick to the advice that me and mike (& others) have said i.e. dry and spray one end occasionally so they have access to moisture if they need it you shouldn't have a problem. I dont think I ever spotted my female drinking when I did offer a water bowl. Once a month I used to offer a bowl for a couple of days.

I misted about every 2-3 weeks at one end of the tank and I did notice her laying in the damp end or had her body pressed against the droplets, presumably absorbing moisture. But she never seemed to actively seek out the water bowl. I saw similar behaviour with the scorplings

Anyway over the last few weeks there has been a lot of discussion about the H.paucidens so you cant go far wrong really Smile

And aaahhhh... book lungs, are the blobs in equal pairs?
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

PostSubject: Re: Learnt the hard way after all the advice Hadogenes Paucidens NOT communal   Learnt the hard way after all the advice Hadogenes Paucidens NOT communal Empty12/19/2008, 4:49 pm

Just the two (lungs)?

Taking on board all the good advice! Smile
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: Learnt the hard way after all the advice Hadogenes Paucidens NOT communal   Learnt the hard way after all the advice Hadogenes Paucidens NOT communal Empty12/19/2008, 4:50 pm

click here for link

scorpion anatomy picture ^^^^

This website is also pretty good and a favourite of the scorpion community Smile
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

PostSubject: Re: Learnt the hard way after all the advice Hadogenes Paucidens NOT communal   Learnt the hard way after all the advice Hadogenes Paucidens NOT communal Empty12/19/2008, 4:53 pm

where are the book lungs? is there another name?

Great link Lisa!!

Last edited by Kuma on 12/19/2008, 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Learnt the hard way after all the advice Hadogenes Paucidens NOT communal   Learnt the hard way after all the advice Hadogenes Paucidens NOT communal Empty12/19/2008, 4:56 pm

on the ventral side; the little slit like things called "spiracles".
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

PostSubject: Re: Learnt the hard way after all the advice Hadogenes Paucidens NOT communal   Learnt the hard way after all the advice Hadogenes Paucidens NOT communal Empty12/19/2008, 4:59 pm

Ok thought so.... Not Spiricles these are seen though the membrane but i'll look again later just in case
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: Learnt the hard way after all the advice Hadogenes Paucidens NOT communal   Learnt the hard way after all the advice Hadogenes Paucidens NOT communal Empty12/19/2008, 5:16 pm

That picture doesn't show the booklungs very well -- just the spiracles. The spiracles are openings to the booklungs.

Here's a photo where you can see booklungs (two per segment) and embryos (most clear between the booklungs).

Learnt the hard way after all the advice Hadogenes Paucidens NOT communal Gravid%20crop
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

PostSubject: Re: Learnt the hard way after all the advice Hadogenes Paucidens NOT communal   Learnt the hard way after all the advice Hadogenes Paucidens NOT communal Empty12/19/2008, 5:23 pm

That may be what mines looks like, but i'll see when i get in..
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705

PostSubject: Re: Learnt the hard way after all the advice Hadogenes Paucidens NOT communal   Learnt the hard way after all the advice Hadogenes Paucidens NOT communal Empty12/20/2008, 6:42 am

im sorry it didnt work out and that one tank mate was eaten Sad
xxxx
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Learnt the hard way after all the advice Hadogenes Paucidens NOT communal   Learnt the hard way after all the advice Hadogenes Paucidens NOT communal Empty

Back to top Go down

Learnt the hard way after all the advice Hadogenes Paucidens NOT communal
Page 1 of 1