The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Pandinus Imperator not eating.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus
The-Scorp-Whisperer

Number of posts : 539
Registration date : 2008-12-16

Pandinus Imperator not eating. Empty
PostSubject: Pandinus Imperator not eating.   Pandinus Imperator not eating. Empty12/17/2008, 12:23 pm

I've got 3 Pandinus Imperator I've had them for over a year no and up until may they stoped eating regularly (i used otfeed them from tweezers every week) all they did was just crush the food and push it away and ignore it, after a month or 2 i just left the dead prey in there to see if they would feed, after a few weeks of not bothering they started scavanging off the dead food but it was only the 2 females that would eat the male doesnt seem to get a share and theyve stopped eating again. I've also tried leaving live food in there but they just ignore it, I've watched them literally just walk over the prey as if it was just a stone or something in their way.

I know that emps sometimes stop eating but surely they should be eating again after 6 months any idea why theyve stopped feeding and why theyve stoped feeding from tweezers and from live prey left in the viv?

Cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.bebo.com/The_Scorp_Whisperer
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Imperator not eating.   Pandinus Imperator not eating. Empty12/17/2008, 12:30 pm

I've got an adult female that hasn't a meal in over a year, I offer her food once a month to see if she will accept, but she never does. I'm not sure why she is doing it, but she seems healthy enough. anyway I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Back to top Go down
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus
The-Scorp-Whisperer

Number of posts : 539
Registration date : 2008-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Imperator not eating.   Pandinus Imperator not eating. Empty12/17/2008, 12:34 pm

hmmmmm thats interesting. I'm not too worried cause I know they have one of the slowest metabolisms in nature and can go ages without food im more worried about not taking live prey either when its left in the viv or when its of the tweezers, one thing i forgot to mention was that i used ot allways feed them on adult locusts but all ive ever really tried recently is pre sub-sub adult hoppers and crickets think thats got something to do with it?

Maybe they thinks its too small a meal or something?

Cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.bebo.com/The_Scorp_Whisperer
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Imperator not eating.   Pandinus Imperator not eating. Empty12/17/2008, 12:41 pm

I know what you mean! the only food she has ever been interested in are adult locusts, even then she hardly ate anything. unless she got a satisfying "crunch" from the head of the food item, she has never bothered with it.

I might try feeding her locusts again.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Imperator not eating.   Pandinus Imperator not eating. Empty12/17/2008, 12:45 pm

Just don't bother feeding for a few weeks to a month and try again. As has been said, it's possible for them to fast over a year and not suffer ill effects. Males also seem more prone to this than female, and adults in general can fast longer.

If early instars fast, it usually suggests an approaching molt.

Read the second line of my sig. Razz
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Imperator not eating.   Pandinus Imperator not eating. Empty12/18/2008, 10:12 am

my female pandinus imperator hasnt fed in MONTHS! I need to take the hopper that was put in the other day out as she is not bothering with it at all.

Scorpions fast, its what they do.

Offer live food to them though...might be more....ideal for them...the hunt and also something not decaying.

xxxx
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
hoffman88
Pandinus

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Imperator not eating.   Pandinus Imperator not eating. Empty12/22/2008, 2:32 am

i know this doesnt have anything to do with his problem but theres alot of talk about feeding your scorpion, i was curious if theres a "choice" bug to feed them with the most protein or whatever emperor scorpions need, or if anyone has seen a difference in the health of their scorpion by changing the bugs you feed them?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Imperator not eating.   Pandinus Imperator not eating. Empty12/22/2008, 2:36 am

If it doesn't have anything to do with this thread, then you should have posted a new one. Razz

Crickets and roaches are pretty complete. I think roaches have a little higher meat-to-shell ratio. The only feeders not advised for long-term feeding are mealworms and superworms -- too fatty.

Some people say not to use fruit flies as they can cause problems molting, but I've only heard of this in tarantulas.
Back to top Go down
hoffman88
Pandinus

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Imperator not eating.   Pandinus Imperator not eating. Empty12/22/2008, 2:54 am

ive been in a few automotive fourms and they allways get [annoyed] when someone posts a random question as a thread so that was my reasoning for asking in the one.
i feed mine crickets by the way, next time i need to get food for him im gonna try to find a pet store that sells locusts or something different to switch it up a little.

Last edited by *Connie* on 12/22/2008, 4:20 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : language)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Imperator not eating.   Pandinus Imperator not eating. Empty

Back to top Go down

Pandinus Imperator not eating.
Page 1 of 1