The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Comparing scorp to tarantula molt growth changes......

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ThomasH
Pandinus

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2008-11-17

Comparing scorp to tarantula molt growth changes...... Empty
PostSubject: Comparing scorp to tarantula molt growth changes......   Comparing scorp to tarantula molt growth changes...... Empty12/9/2008, 7:11 pm

Hi, I have a new question. I have witnessed tarantula molting and seem a huge difference just in size just in that molt. They grow all at once in one molt instead of gradually with no dramatic changes. Do scorpions grow all at once in their molts? Or is it just gradually but still shedding skin like a reptile?
Sounds confusing but hope you get what I'm trying to say.
Thanks,
TBH
Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Comparing scorp to tarantula molt growth changes......   Comparing scorp to tarantula molt growth changes...... Empty12/9/2008, 7:40 pm

Well scorps have around 6-7 molts before adulthood, and they can grow alot from molt to molt.. i think even more then Ts do..
Back to top Go down
ThomasH
Pandinus

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2008-11-17

PostSubject: Re: Comparing scorp to tarantula molt growth changes......   Comparing scorp to tarantula molt growth changes...... Empty12/9/2008, 7:44 pm

Kejser wrote:
Well scorps have around 6-7 molts before adulthood, and they can grow alot from molt to molt.. i think even more then Ts do..
So is all of their growth molts?
TBH
Back to top Go down
Venom
Centruroides suffusus
Venom

Number of posts : 2834
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Comparing scorp to tarantula molt growth changes......   Comparing scorp to tarantula molt growth changes...... Empty12/9/2008, 7:49 pm

Yes. They don't grow at all if it doesn't molt.

It MUST molt so you can notice and change in growth.

No molts, means no size difference.

I understand what you mean. A reptile can stretch its skin and grow without shedding.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Comparing scorp to tarantula molt growth changes......   Comparing scorp to tarantula molt growth changes...... Empty12/9/2008, 10:02 pm

All arthropods do this. A reptile shedding is fundamentally different in nature than an arthropod molting.

However, there is some "growth" between molts -- most, if not all, arthropods have some softer regions of exoskeleton that can stretch a bit and other regions that are completely rigid (for structural support). The softer regions will stretch with feeding and hydration.

In scorpions, this is the membrane between the tergites; in tarantulas, it's the abdomen. The best way to see this is to look at a tarantula that's just molted and then look at it again after it's eaten a huge roach. It's abdominal region will stretch and it will look like it "grew."

The legs and carapace do not behave in this way; they're stuck at the size they are immediately following a molt until the next molt.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Comparing scorp to tarantula molt growth changes......   Comparing scorp to tarantula molt growth changes...... Empty

Back to top Go down

Comparing scorp to tarantula molt growth changes......
Page 1 of 1