The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
ChatBox

Share | 

What's your dream setup?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mr. Mordax
Administrator

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: What's your dream setup?   2/19/2008, 2:39 am

Someone was asking for suggestions on AB about what to do with a 135-gallon tank. It got me to thinking about what my ideal setup would be, and I had two main ideas.

The first would be for a Heterometrus or Pandinus community. Do a regular false-bottom, with the soil sloping up along the length of the tank to make it look like a big hillside. There's be a bunch of pre-made cave entrances with at least a few leading to chambers against the glass for easy viewing. I'd also try to put living moss on the soil with a few hardy plants, such as pothos vine or creeping charlie. I'd have water bowl at the shallow end of the tank and a pump connecting it to the deep end of the tank so there would be a running stream. To make tank maintenance easier I'd toss in a handful of isopods and sprintails. On top of the tank I would install fluorescent lights on a timer to keep the plants healthy.

The other idea is for our local little forest scorpion, Uroctonus mordax. An entomologist I know tells me they like living in rotting logs. This setup would also have the false bottom, but the soil wouldn't be as deep. I'd have a chunk of rotting log taking up the whole length of the tank and a few inches of leaf litter on the soil. If I could manage it I'd have moss and ferns growing on the log, with a chunk of the wood removable for easy scorp-showing. To help humidity (maybe without a false-bottom) I'd put in a mister -- cool-looking AND it mimics the Pacific Northwest weather. Maybe a waterfall just for kicks.

As display setups, I'd probably have panoramic photos of the relevant rainforest (Malaysian or Oregonian) on the back of the tank.

So -- what's YOUR dream setup?

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: What's your dream setup?   2/19/2008, 6:02 am

To section off 10' x 10' of the basement and make a 'jungle' display with dead trees and large rocks and a pond and house about a 200 Heterometrus community... Yep that would be it, or build a green house out back and make it a tropical setup with over 1000 Hets in it... Keep dreaming about that one, but the basement idea is do-able.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Quick
Pandinus

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: What's your dream setup?   2/19/2008, 4:28 pm

Mine would probably be a large setup for a dozen or so Emperors or Forest Scorpions. It would contain plants and other things from their acutal habitat. I would want it to perfectly mimic their natural habitat and be large enough so it would seem like they are actually in the wilderness.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Venom
Centruroides suffusus

Number of posts : 2834
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: What's your dream setup?   2/19/2008, 5:04 pm

Four small trees, Four species of a dozen bark scorpions each, seperated by a lake/moat/stream.

Last edited by Venom on 2/19/2008, 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's your dream setup?   

Back to top Go down

What's your dream setup?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1