The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

What types of scorpions live in Texas?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ThomasH
Pandinus

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2008-11-17

What types of scorpions live in Texas? Empty
PostSubject: What types of scorpions live in Texas?   What types of scorpions live in Texas? Empty11/26/2008, 1:41 pm

I've been searching google for over an hour with no luck. I recently bought a scorpling labled "CB Texas Scorpion." Sorry, I can't post pics. I'm sure the word cb helps, right? They can't be breeding too many scorps from Texas... Looks to be Buthidae. The pet store guys were clueless. One came out with a leather glove and said "If I get bit I'm callin' da poison control." Pretty cool scorp. I'm keeping it dry with leaves and coconut "eco earth." It is doing just dandy!
TBH
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

Number of posts : 2916
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: What types of scorpions live in Texas?   What types of scorpions live in Texas? Empty11/26/2008, 1:44 pm

post a picture but its probably a C.vittatus
Back to top Go down
ThomasH
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: What types of scorpions live in Texas?   What types of scorpions live in Texas? Empty11/26/2008, 1:56 pm

lycanlord19 wrote:
post a picture but its probably a C.vittatus
Sucks but I can't. I lost the camera in the house. My basement is a trash jungle! Do people captive breed those?
TBH
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

PostSubject: Re: What types of scorpions live in Texas?   What types of scorpions live in Texas? Empty11/26/2008, 2:00 pm

What types of scorpions live in Texas? C_vittatus(m)

Thats what they look like and yeah they are often bred in america, but dont always trust pet shops, if a pet shop says its captive bred but cant tell you what it is, I wouldnt trust anything they told you lol

But I think its likely you have a C.vittatus because there pretty much the most common in texas
and pretty common in the hobby aswell, well they are if you live in america
Back to top Go down
ThomasH
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: What types of scorpions live in Texas?   What types of scorpions live in Texas? Empty11/26/2008, 2:03 pm

lycanlord19 wrote:
What types of scorpions live in Texas? C_vittatus(m)

Thats what they look like and yeah they are often bred in america, but dont always trust pet shops, if a pet shop says its captive bred but cant tell you what it is, I wouldnt trust anything they told you lol
I don't trust them either. That looks exactly like mine down to that pattern! Mine has a shorter tail though or whatever you call it. Sorry, don't know scorpion anatomy well.
TBH
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: What types of scorpions live in Texas?   What types of scorpions live in Texas? Empty11/26/2008, 2:05 pm

does that mean female then??
Back to top Go down
ThomasH
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: What types of scorpions live in Texas?   What types of scorpions live in Texas? Empty11/26/2008, 2:07 pm

Centruides have a kind of strong, semilife threatening neurotoxic venom right? I've kept Latrodectus. [widows] How does the venom compare?
Back to top Go down
ThomasH
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: What types of scorpions live in Texas?   What types of scorpions live in Texas? Empty11/26/2008, 2:10 pm

_scorpio_ wrote:
does that mean female then??
I do think I've read on this site that tail length in this genus determines sex. Mine also has very small pectines. That is what you call the white things with "teeth" that can determine sex right?
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: What types of scorpions live in Texas?   What types of scorpions live in Texas? Empty11/26/2008, 2:10 pm

must be female then! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

PostSubject: Re: What types of scorpions live in Texas?   What types of scorpions live in Texas? Empty11/26/2008, 2:12 pm

yeah sounds female, and i wouldnt worry too much about the venom, just dont handle her
but death is rather unlikely

here read this https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/envenomation-reports-f20/centruroides-vittatus-t388.htm

its an envenemation report made by rasputin
Back to top Go down
ThomasH
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: What types of scorpions live in Texas?   What types of scorpions live in Texas? Empty11/26/2008, 2:15 pm

lycanlord19 wrote:
yeah sounds female, and i wouldnt worry too much about the venom, just dont handle her
but death is rather unlikely

here read this https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/envenomation-reports-f20/centruroides-vittatus-t388.htm

Cool, I got the no handling thing covered. Thanks for the help guys!
TBH
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

PostSubject: Re: What types of scorpions live in Texas?   What types of scorpions live in Texas? Empty11/26/2008, 2:57 pm

No problem thats what we are here for lol
Hope you enjoy our lil family haha
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: What types of scorpions live in Texas?   What types of scorpions live in Texas? Empty11/26/2008, 8:59 pm

Now that you know it's a centroide you should read up some caresheets. Just in case
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
vatansever223
Pandinus

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-11-23

PostSubject: Re: What types of scorpions live in Texas?   What types of scorpions live in Texas? Empty11/24/2010, 9:31 am

LED signs
fasting retreat asia
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What types of scorpions live in Texas?   What types of scorpions live in Texas? Empty

Back to top Go down

What types of scorpions live in Texas?
Page 1 of 1