The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky?

Go down 
+5
EKn88
GideonSmith08
lycanlord
Mr. Mordax
scorpion111
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky?   Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky? - Page 3 Empty11/30/2008, 1:35 am

Ok, calm down there Chester. Smile

They're not all going to die on you. And they don't hatch per se; they develop legs that sort of pop out and then they molt into something fuzzy that can eat.

By the way, these can take a LONG time to develop, so DON'T throw them out just because they're not going anywhere. Just throw out the ones that dry up or get moldy.

Oh, and 100 slings don't take up very much space at all. Each can live in a 2 or 4 ounce deli cup for well over a year (at least, that's where mine's been living the past year).
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky?   Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky? - Page 3 Empty11/30/2008, 10:20 am

I know how slow these develop, they will be ok... besides I can see something that look like little ribcages inside some of the eggs. (legs!) they are being kept quite warm, not to warm as I've heard that's a killer. a few have dried up but that's when they were in the sac. only 5 or so. I've removed all the bad eggs. anyway, fingers crossed. Smile I wouldn't mind at all if half of them died off.. ( know that sounds terrible ). I might just let them feed of each other when they hatch from eggs/legs.

stronger T's, right?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky?   Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky? - Page 3 Empty11/30/2008, 12:14 pm

Lori culled the surplus by just not feeding them for months at a time, so the few we still have ought to be nice and beefy strong survival Ts when they grow up. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky?   Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky? - Page 3 Empty11/30/2008, 12:17 pm

cool.

btw, how long did it take for them to hatch to eggs/legs, then to little fuzzy eating machines?

for you guys?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky?   Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky? - Page 3 Empty11/30/2008, 12:27 pm

Can't remember, but it was a loooooonng time.

*checks other pages of this thread*

Lori separated them at the very end of October, and the sac was found in late August. So at least two months, possibly longer.
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

Number of posts : 2916
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky?   Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky? - Page 3 Empty11/30/2008, 4:13 pm

If you have a problem getting rid of them callum, lee at spider shop would probably take them, and hed either buy them are swap for some of his stock.

http://www.thespidershop.co.uk/insect/wanted.php

see lol hes always intrested in captive bred tarantulas
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky?   Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky? - Page 3 Empty11/30/2008, 4:17 pm

...swap? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky?   Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky? - Page 3 Empty11/30/2008, 6:20 pm

Ok, I have my suspicions that some of these eggs are infertile.. Hmm... anyway, don't really care if a few die.

also, I will ask my biology teacher tommorow If I can borrow one of thier microscopes, I want to take a look inside the eggs day by day to see what happens.

damn, wish I had a camera.
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

Number of posts : 2631
Registration date : 2008-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky?   Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky? - Page 3 Empty11/30/2008, 6:47 pm

just caught up on this thread. sorry to hear it's gone a bit pear shaped!

fingers crossed it all works out for you anyway Smile
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky?   Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky? - Page 3 Empty11/30/2008, 6:50 pm

STOP. PANICKING. These take FOREVER to develop, you won't know for a few MONTHS if they're infertile or not.

The fact that your T freaked out when you took the sac is a good sign that they're fertile.
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

PostSubject: Re: Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky?   Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky? - Page 3 Empty11/30/2008, 7:12 pm

yeah dont bother getting the microscope either youl just drive yourself crazy
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky?   Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky? - Page 3 Empty11/30/2008, 9:48 pm

Actually, having the scope can be kinda cool -- I looked at some jumping spider eggs that were right at the "eggs with legs" stage and it was pretty sweet watching them move around in slow-motion. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

PostSubject: Re: Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky?   Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky? - Page 3 Empty11/30/2008, 9:53 pm

yea there is that, but if i had one I think id be obsessed with looking for signs of life
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

PostSubject: Re: Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky?   Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky? - Page 3 Empty11/30/2008, 9:56 pm

eggs with legs lol
Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky? - Page 3 13oe
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

Number of posts : 2631
Registration date : 2008-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky?   Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky? - Page 3 Empty12/1/2008, 11:04 am

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
how cute!!!!
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky?   Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky? - Page 3 Empty12/1/2008, 12:25 pm

LOL, I hope I see that...

anyway, some of the eggs definetly look like they are developing.

yay.
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky?   Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky? - Page 3 Empty12/1/2008, 12:54 pm

Oh, the stuff from Lee just arrived.

yay.

there's like.. 40 tons of the bloody stuff. Very Happy

only for £14.99!!!
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky?   Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky? - Page 3 Empty12/2/2008, 9:29 am

well, tarantula is a bit better today, had a cricket, she was still super skinny, so I tried to feed her another. she reared up, bearing her fangs, and I could see the actual mouth bit! it was wierd.. (|) kinda like that. anyway she fell over with anger. Razz it was hilarious. anyway, she want crazy and built a feeding mat even though she didn't have anything.

this is the "crazy cat lady" of the tarantula world.

and yes, I know what the mouth looks like. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky?   Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky? - Page 3 Empty12/2/2008, 11:10 am

Ok, switched from this method; [url=http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=17496]
to the one lori used (mike)

to many eggs looked like they were going bad, and I just realised that the one in the AB link is for eggs/legs.

[insert minor explicitive here]
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky?   Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky? - Page 3 Empty12/2/2008, 11:39 am

^Thank you for expressing your frustrations in an acceptable manner. Smile <-- happy admin

Anywho, just make sure you have some sort of waterproof boundary between the wet paper towels and whatever is holding the eggs. I'd suggest keeping the towels VERY wet and leaving a lid on top of the whole works with very little ventilation.
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky?   Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky? - Page 3 Empty12/2/2008, 11:46 am

okay, they are WET. there is a heatmat on the side to warm it up a bit.
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky?   Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky? - Page 3 Empty12/17/2008, 10:23 am

crap, forgot to post this aagggges ago.

well, the eggs didn't make it. I'm not sure what happened, the eggs went all black and mouldy. I'm not too bothered to be honest I had my doubts that it would work. Rolling Eyes

ah well.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky?   Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky? - Page 3 Empty12/17/2008, 12:29 pm

Suck.

If it happens again, try leaving them in with mom longer. I've known some Ts to leave their sac alone, but as soon as someone comes close they run out and grab it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky?   Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Is it what I think it is? Am I that lucky?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3