The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Infestation in Emp enclosure?!

Go down 
+2
*Connie*
Marlene
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Marlene
Pandinus

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-10-25

Infestation in Emp enclosure?! Empty
PostSubject: Infestation in Emp enclosure?!   Infestation in Emp enclosure?! Empty11/10/2008, 7:52 pm

I had three adult emps living in a false bottom enclosure to maximize humidity. Well yesterday one came out from the burrow they made and this afternoon it was dead. When I went to remove it and check on the other two (very feisty) I noticed my substrate is infested with some kind of insect about as big as this --> _ <-- and thicker. They look kind of like mini pincher bugs because the tip of their abdomen is upturned. There are larvae also which are white but run around on legs as far as I can tell.. no pics because my camera can't micro that small. Any ideas???
Back to top Go down
Marlene
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Infestation in Emp enclosure?!   Infestation in Emp enclosure?! Empty11/11/2008, 2:38 am

21 views and no ideas? Sad
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Infestation in Emp enclosure?!   Infestation in Emp enclosure?! Empty11/11/2008, 4:09 am

No idea. could be thrips? Ive heard those are dangerous but im not sure as to what they look like
xxxx
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373

PostSubject: Re: Infestation in Emp enclosure?!   Infestation in Emp enclosure?! Empty11/11/2008, 9:59 am

pictures my good sir... Pictures!!
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: Infestation in Emp enclosure?!   Infestation in Emp enclosure?! Empty11/11/2008, 11:38 am

The description makes me think a bit of rove beetles (family Staphylinidae), because they run around with their abdomens upturned.

Link

They range in size from a couple millimeters to over an inch, depending on species. They also resemble larvae because their elytra do not entirely cover their abdomen, but they're usually dark-colored.

If it's light-colored and looks like that, it could be thrips, but I don't know why you'd find them in a tank.

Link (Some species are yellow, some are black.)

Kejser wrote:
pictures my good sir... Pictures!!

That's "ma'am."
Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373

PostSubject: Re: Infestation in Emp enclosure?!   Infestation in Emp enclosure?! Empty11/11/2008, 11:39 am

Doh!! thats even a pretty common Danish name.. hahahah Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Marlene
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Infestation in Emp enclosure?!   Infestation in Emp enclosure?! Empty11/11/2008, 7:01 pm

They look like the rove beetles you are referring to .. I'll try to get pictures tomorrow and post them. Thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Infestation in Emp enclosure?!   Infestation in Emp enclosure?! Empty11/12/2008, 12:12 am

Rove beetles are mostly predators, so unless you have scorpions that are really small, they're probably nothing to worry about. I'd just wonder what they were doing in your tank . . . scratch

Did you introduce any plants to your tank recently? Rove beetles could have hitched a ride on something like that (I've found them running around on flowers at a florist before).

I just reread your first post, and think the "white larvae" may be predatory mites. Do they look like a speck of dust running around? If they're bouncy instead of running, they could be springtails. Both are harmless (and sometimes considered beneficial).
Back to top Go down
Marlene
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Infestation in Emp enclosure?!   Infestation in Emp enclosure?! Empty11/12/2008, 3:31 am

The white larve are definitely not dust like, they are the same elongated shape as the adults and white and appear to move like an inch worm. They do run around though, not hop.
Back to top Go down
Marlene
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Infestation in Emp enclosure?!   Infestation in Emp enclosure?! Empty11/14/2008, 1:50 am

Well.. My camera wasn't able to get close enough detail of the dirt to get a decent picture of the little buggers so I've opted to dry out. I'm going to try to take a sample to the high def microscopes in the Entomology lab on campus first but if I don't get around to it my scorps will have to bear with a temporary false-bottom free dry environment. With observation I've gotten the impression that these little bugs just clean up the environment but I don't know enough about them to be comfortable having them in my house.

Thanks for the help and suggestions! If I get more info I'll follow up this weekend.

Marlene
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Infestation in Emp enclosure?!   Infestation in Emp enclosure?! Empty11/14/2008, 2:46 am

Let us know if you figure out anything at the scope.
Back to top Go down
Marlene
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Infestation in Emp enclosure?!   Infestation in Emp enclosure?! Empty11/14/2008, 9:53 pm

I did figure something out! With the help of one of the UCD Entomologists.. they appear to be diplura, a harmless clean up crew. I figure I'll allow the enclosure to lose humidity by replacing the glass top with a screen for a few weeks but they are helpful as long as they hang around. It's pretty neat now that I know what they are.

Marlene
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Infestation in Emp enclosure?!   Infestation in Emp enclosure?! Empty11/14/2008, 9:54 pm

YAY! clean-up's are really useful.
Back to top Go down
bjaeger
Leiurus
bjaeger

Number of posts : 2282
Registration date : 2008-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Infestation in Emp enclosure?!   Infestation in Emp enclosure?! Empty11/14/2008, 10:04 pm

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/brandonjaeger
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Infestation in Emp enclosure?!   Infestation in Emp enclosure?! Empty11/15/2008, 1:20 pm

Diplurans are weird. I wouldn't have guessed, 'cause they're so far in the back of my mind when it comes to bug IDs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Infestation in Emp enclosure?!   Infestation in Emp enclosure?! Empty

Back to top Go down

Infestation in Emp enclosure?!
Page 1 of 1