The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

New here, have some questions

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Lick496
Pandinus

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-10-22

New here, have some questions Empty
PostSubject: New here, have some questions   New here, have some questions Empty10/22/2008, 3:55 pm

So i am having some trouble finding caresheets on H. trilineatus, and C.sculpturatus... Anyone have any suggestions? Do these NEED heating lights?

Also, i have (supposedly) 2 B. jacksoni females, one of which is gravid. Is it a good idea to keep them communal, or would it be better to keep them seperated?.

Im a noob to scorps, just getting my first shipment today. I keep several tarantulas, however. im at 27 now
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lick496
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: New here, have some questions   New here, have some questions Empty10/22/2008, 4:30 pm

No scorpion NEEDS a heating light -- in southern California, the species you mentioned probably don't even need supplemental heat.

As for C. sculpturatus, just keep it warm to hot and dry, with vertical hiding places. Don't get stung -- this species packs a wallop and is the only "medically significant" species in the US.

About your B. jacksoni -- if they're both female, I'd suggest separating them, because WC females are almost always gravid. Post a pic and we can confirm if they're female (and if they're far enough along we can confirm gravid). Otherwise the adults of this species are fairly communal.
Back to top Go down
Lick496
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: New here, have some questions   New here, have some questions Empty10/22/2008, 4:52 pm

cool, i will post as soon as i can get pics. Also, is peat ok subtrate for these scorps, as well as most? Or doesC. sculpturatus need sand? I have incoming:

P. imperator
B. jacksoni
C. sculpturatus
H. spinifer
H.trilineatus
O. boehmi

I set up all their tanks with peat, but not all very humid. I can change them to sand if needed, or a mix
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: New here, have some questions   New here, have some questions Empty10/22/2008, 6:26 pm

Cool another Losangelinian..... Peat would work great but you shoul look up the humidity requirements for the required species on our Caresheet section
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: New here, have some questions   New here, have some questions Empty10/23/2008, 10:53 am

I would suggest coconut fiber for just about any species' substrate (exceptions for burrowing desert scorpions such as Hadrurus spp.). You can adjust the humidity over a very wide range by how much water you add to it once it's expanded.
Back to top Go down
Lick496
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: New here, have some questions   New here, have some questions Empty10/23/2008, 2:11 pm

Ya, i figured peat would work alright too. I mmight gett some more coco fiber for the sculpturatus and trilineatus
Back to top Go down
Athlon2k2
Tityus
Athlon2k2

Number of posts : 619

PostSubject: Re: New here, have some questions   New here, have some questions Empty10/23/2008, 2:25 pm

I keep all of those species and mine seemed to be doing well.

I keep my C. sculpturatus on sand with tons of vertical hides. Humidity as low as possible with a monthly misting. Temp isn't really important. Somewhere between 75-85F.

The H. trilineatus I keep on a 50/50 cocofiber/sand dry mix. It stays around 40-60RH with temps the same as C. sculp.

The B. jacksoni are kept at the same temp but with cocofiber half dry and half moist.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New here, have some questions   New here, have some questions Empty

Back to top Go down

New here, have some questions
Page 1 of 1