The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Is UV light harmful to Scorpions?

Go down 
+7
spikexspiegel
Rasputin
Athlon2k2
Kejser
Venom
Mr. Mordax
~Abyss~
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
ManicDan
Centruroides
ManicDan

Number of posts : 208
Registration date : 2008-05-07

Is UV light harmful to Scorpions? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is UV light harmful to Scorpions?   Is UV light harmful to Scorpions? - Page 2 Empty5/22/2008, 10:11 pm

Crisis Averted!
Back to top Go down
spikexspiegel
Pandinus
spikexspiegel

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Is UV light harmful to Scorpions?   Is UV light harmful to Scorpions? - Page 2 Empty5/22/2008, 10:22 pm

Yeah i am quite glad to have settled this. But i feel like an idiot for listening to that service rep.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Is UV light harmful to Scorpions?   Is UV light harmful to Scorpions? - Page 2 Empty5/22/2008, 11:05 pm

Don't worry about it. We've all been suckered in by folks who think they know what they're talking about at one point or another. Smile

If I hadn't done my research before getting my first emps I probably would have believed the public consensus and put them on sand. Rolling Eyes Same sort of thing.
Back to top Go down
JMB
Pandinus
JMB

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Is UV light harmful to Scorpions?   Is UV light harmful to Scorpions? - Page 2 Empty6/5/2008, 9:58 am

Thaedion wrote:
I've seen this Question a hundred times and without in depth research I would conclude that UV is harmful, for the simple fact that UV is damaging to humans.

I concur with you completely. Again, the smaller the wavelength, the higher the frequency, the more energy imparted (standing within a couple feet a 1Mhz transmitter antenna running at 15 watts? Fine; try the same near a 10.525 Ghz transmitter, and let me know how your eyes feel afterwards -- the proteins there are usually the first to denature, or so I'm told -- and the same holds true for light: 35 Watts of an 808nm IR laser, while nothing to scoff at, can't compete with the same wattage of a UV CO2 steel-cutting laser, everything else being equal, the latter packs more punch Smile

But I digress: while I don't think I documented this on my site (but I will), a few years back (circa 2002-2004) I did an experiment on an (otherwise) healthy offshoot colony of AZ Bark Scorps where I left them exposed to "Standard" blacklighting (don't recall the precise lumens/foot-candles/saturation, but with a stunning lack of scientific precision, I'll simply add it was two (2) 18W fl. blacklight bulbs -- not High Intensity ones, just regular store-bought ones, but brand new) which I left on 24/7 atop a 5.5g enclosure. While they weren't near direct sunlight (of course), their "regular" day/night lighting cycle was present, and all other conditions (temps/rH/feeding/etcetera) were kept equal with all the other colonies.

At the end of the period, they ALL had VERY pronounced melanization/blackening on the cuticle, but *only* around the joints (and not any on the integument on either side, which *I* thought would have been most pervious to it); again, the blackening wasn't in the joints themselves, just on the cuticle. Of course, the integument-area may have been/probably did sustain UV damage, just nothing grossly visible.

Fast-forward a year, and most of them were prematurely dead (I've seen enough Barks die from old age, and know what it looks like...And perishing from intraspecific cannibalism is, well, kinda obvious; neither was the case). Within another 1.5 years (total time from start: 2.5 years), all of those from the original exposure period were dead (although their offspring, who were NOT exposed 24/7 to even that weak UV/Blacklighting showed no ill-effects, and were eventually, a year or so further down the road, re-integrated into another colony setup I had at the time, after I saw no evidence of degraded health in them).

In brief, this isn't to scare people away from "showing off" their scorps with blacklights and the like -- far from it (nothing cooler than sitting in one's study w/everything off but some blacklighting while being surrounded by a few thousand scorpions -- ideally all of them safely enclosed Very Happy ) -- just note that prolonged exposure isn't a good idea, or at least not recommended. IOW, a few hours of weak UV is probably not enough to do them much harm (hey, they're *your* cataracts -- ehr, I mean, eyes), but don't leave 'em on all night long, I guess.

HTH,

~JMB
Back to top Go down
http://www.sculpturatus.com
electrophyste
Babycurus
electrophyste

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Is UV light harmful to Scorpions?   Is UV light harmful to Scorpions? - Page 2 Empty7/2/2008, 10:58 am

from what ive read UVB and UVA Cannot travel through glass in great amounts so if your really worried about UVA and UVB the just through a piece of glass under your black light when yuo take those pictures!
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Is UV light harmful to Scorpions?   Is UV light harmful to Scorpions? - Page 2 Empty7/2/2008, 8:59 pm

I'm surprised no one (not even myself, aspiring engineer that I am) thought to point this out -- glass is opaque to UV. So, unless your tank is made of fused quartz, you should be OK shining the light through the tank.

Good point, Electrophyste.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Is UV light harmful to Scorpions?   Is UV light harmful to Scorpions? - Page 2 Empty7/2/2008, 9:01 pm

Scorpion will still glow...
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
electrophyste
Babycurus
electrophyste

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Is UV light harmful to Scorpions?   Is UV light harmful to Scorpions? - Page 2 Empty7/13/2008, 9:47 am

yay im smart Laughing

mabee i shouldnt push it Laughing
Back to top Go down
scorpling~
Centruroides
scorpling~

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Is UV light harmful to Scorpions?   Is UV light harmful to Scorpions? - Page 2 Empty1/9/2009, 3:15 am

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

QuickPost

1) side view of d shed
2) inside d shed
3) dc choke

i have no clue how to calculate the output of my custom made light, but here is some details
bulb = 6in / 4 W
dc choke = 20 W
batt = 6V
reflectivity = 30-50%
height from ground= 16" - 12"

i just hope mine wouldnt harm my scorp!
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Is UV light harmful to Scorpions?   Is UV light harmful to Scorpions? - Page 2 Empty1/9/2009, 12:12 pm

Try with BBCode instead of HTML.
Back to top Go down
scorpling~
Centruroides
scorpling~

PostSubject: Re: Is UV light harmful to Scorpions?   Is UV light harmful to Scorpions? - Page 2 Empty1/12/2009, 12:04 am

this is it again..

Is UV light harmful to Scorpions? - Page 2 81828723400686
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Is UV light harmful to Scorpions?   Is UV light harmful to Scorpions? - Page 2 Empty1/12/2009, 12:06 am

It looks like a regular blacklight tube, so probably emits UV in the "safe" range -- just don't overdo it.
Back to top Go down
scorpling~
Centruroides
scorpling~

PostSubject: Re: Is UV light harmful to Scorpions?   Is UV light harmful to Scorpions? - Page 2 Empty1/12/2009, 1:48 am

thanks..
i prolly have it on 3 minutes tops.. she only impress a certain amt of time then back to hiding again!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is UV light harmful to Scorpions?   Is UV light harmful to Scorpions? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Is UV light harmful to Scorpions?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2