The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

opheodrys aestivus (rough green snake)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

opheodrys aestivus (rough green snake) Empty
PostSubject: opheodrys aestivus (rough green snake)   opheodrys aestivus (rough green snake) Empty9/16/2008, 3:47 pm

I had one of these little beauties when I was 10, and I had it for around 2 years. i'm thinking about getting another one, and i've got a few Q's about them.

+) I know they need a heat source (I only used a heat mat last time) but is it absolutley nesasary to have a hear bulb/lamp thing for them to do well in captitvity?

+) what is the reccomended humidity levels for this sp.? it doesn't really say anything about that in online caresheets.b

+) I know these little snakes are very docile and calm, but can they be kept communaly?

advice would be much appreciated. Smile
Back to top Go down
Venom
Centruroides suffusus
Venom

Number of posts : 2834
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: opheodrys aestivus (rough green snake)   opheodrys aestivus (rough green snake) Empty9/16/2008, 5:14 pm

scorpion111 wrote:
I had one of these little beauties when I was 10, and I had it for around 2 years. i'm thinking about getting another one, and i've got a few Q's about them.

+) I know they need a heat source (I only used a heat mat last time) but is it absolutley nesasary to have a hear bulb/lamp thing for them to do well in captitvity?

+) what is the reccomended humidity levels for this sp.? it doesn't really say anything about that in online caresheets.b

+) I know these little snakes are very docile and calm, but can they be kept communaly?

advice would be much appreciated. Smile
1Heat mats/Light are needed for all reptiles so they can have a warmside and Coolside to digest properly and funcion properly.

2 Dunno. Make sure its higher during shed though

3I don't think there is any snake that SHOULD be kept communally.
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

Number of posts : 2916
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: opheodrys aestivus (rough green snake)   opheodrys aestivus (rough green snake) Empty9/16/2008, 5:18 pm

snakes dont need a light bulb really aslong as you can reach the desired temps with heat mat alone. As most snakes are nocturnal anyway.
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: opheodrys aestivus (rough green snake)   opheodrys aestivus (rough green snake) Empty9/16/2008, 5:40 pm

sorry, I meant to put I did have a heatmat . Razz
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: opheodrys aestivus (rough green snake)   opheodrys aestivus (rough green snake) Empty9/18/2008, 9:46 am

we had two roughies together. they were fine but then they both randomly died. and had maggots coming out of them...gross!
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: opheodrys aestivus (rough green snake)   opheodrys aestivus (rough green snake) Empty9/18/2008, 11:34 am

really? that is interesting... because the same thing happened to mine. I nudged her and a bunch of tiny bettle-like things came out of her mouth.

parasites! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

PostSubject: Re: opheodrys aestivus (rough green snake)   opheodrys aestivus (rough green snake) Empty9/18/2008, 11:55 am

what5 substrate where you using cuz that used to be really common a lil while ago
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: opheodrys aestivus (rough green snake)   opheodrys aestivus (rough green snake) Empty9/18/2008, 12:31 pm

aspen-reptile bedding stuff.

I know, I know... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: opheodrys aestivus (rough green snake)   opheodrys aestivus (rough green snake) Empty9/18/2008, 1:16 pm

they were on...well not ever on but the bark chips as were housed with the tree frogs!
Shop told us *years ago* that it was ok...and it was. no problems. only the giant day gecko had some issues...again told all together would be fine and they are...well the snakes died!
and they just died. no injuries...just in position in the braches in the bushes...and maggots. was very gross
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: opheodrys aestivus (rough green snake)   opheodrys aestivus (rough green snake) Empty9/18/2008, 1:51 pm

cool, I never thought they could be housed with other stuff.

here is the pedding I used - http://peticious.com/images/paws-images/575044.jpg
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: opheodrys aestivus (rough green snake)   opheodrys aestivus (rough green snake) Empty9/18/2008, 2:41 pm

well I didnt really think so either!
But they were in with whites tree frogs and a giant day gecko!
the snakes are dead now but the frogs and gecko are very happy together!!!!

Not something I would do or allow him to do but when he got them..I didnt know anything about reptiles etc...so just went along with it...but they all live happily together!!! strange eh!
But not something I would suggest as a good idea
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

PostSubject: Re: opheodrys aestivus (rough green snake)   opheodrys aestivus (rough green snake) Empty9/18/2008, 3:35 pm

yeah a few years ago there was a real problem with loose substrates.
alot of them were contaminated with various bug eggs, i myself lost a berber sking to beetle from loose substrate ( aspen i think but i was young so not 100% )
thats why ppl who still use aspen and some other substrates always nuke or freeze to kill off the eggs.
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: opheodrys aestivus (rough green snake)   opheodrys aestivus (rough green snake) Empty9/19/2008, 11:43 am

yeah If i ever use that stuff again I will deff. nuke it lol.

but, I just got enough for one of those exo-terra tanks so i'm thinking about betting a corn, milk, or king. prob a corn.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: opheodrys aestivus (rough green snake)   opheodrys aestivus (rough green snake) Empty

Back to top Go down

opheodrys aestivus (rough green snake)
Page 1 of 1