The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Major SHOCK for new Scorpion Keeper!!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Jules
Pandinus
Jules

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-09-01

Major SHOCK for new Scorpion Keeper!! Empty
PostSubject: Major SHOCK for new Scorpion Keeper!!   Major SHOCK for new Scorpion Keeper!! Empty9/1/2008, 10:57 pm

I was taking a quick cursory look at the inverts in Kassie's room before going to bed Saturday evening and was completely shocked by what I saw!!

Larry, the little P. silvestrii scorpion I acquired a while back was out and appeared to have a clump of sand stuck on his back. No way was I going to put my hands in there and try to clean it off but I did get a flash light to investigate more closely.  

We're no longer calling him Larry but her Laurie!!!!  Shocked

Major SHOCK for new Scorpion Keeper!! P_silvestrii_04a

Major SHOCK for new Scorpion Keeper!! P_silvestrii_03a_4x6

Major SHOCK for new Scorpion Keeper!! P_silvestrii_01a_4x6

I don't know the first thing about Scorpion babies. I am guessing these are still 1st instar?? Eddy, where are you dude?? I need your expert advice.

I searched AB for info about P. silvestrii in general and could find very little info and nothing about babies. Is this little girl a P. silvestrii for certain? I'll need to know now as it looks like I might need to find some good homes for her babies. I'd like to be confident enough to tell people what they are.

It is such an unbelievable sight. I have never seen anything like this before. I don't even know exactly where the kid I got her from collected her. Maybe he went hiking/hunting with you guys on a previous hike? I am guessing that BugMom's is a male or perhaps this girl was gravid when he collected her. I still can't believe it every time I see her out.

Scorpions just keep getting more fun!!   Laughing

Jules
Back to top Go down
Venom
Centruroides suffusus
Venom

Number of posts : 2834
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Major SHOCK for new Scorpion Keeper!!   Major SHOCK for new Scorpion Keeper!! Empty9/1/2008, 11:33 pm

awww

Wait for them to molt and then get off their mother's back.
After that seperate them into seperate containers.
(small deli cups are used)
Feed them fruitflies.
You can keep them at room temperature because I've noticed all slings have a higher mortality rate when you try to heat them.

What else do you wish to know?

And why does everyone beg eddy?
He's not the only one around here.
Back to top Go down
Jules
Pandinus
Jules

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Major SHOCK for new Scorpion Keeper!!   Major SHOCK for new Scorpion Keeper!! Empty9/1/2008, 11:55 pm

Venom wrote:
awww

Wait for them to molt and then get off their mother's back.
After that seperate them into seperate containers.
(small deli cups are used)
Feed them fruitflies.
You can keep them at room temperature because I've noticed all slings have a higher mortality rate when you try to heat them.

What else do you wish to know?

No problem, I've got lots of small deli's left over from my B. vagans sac. I'm guessing that the time it takes for them to get to 2nd instar varies based on temp, etc. like T slings. However, is there a ballpark time frame somebody can give me? I just found and read the thread about the P. slivestrii mom who ate all her babies. I leave this girl alone so will hope for the best. Can anyone confirm this is in fact a P. silvestrii? I can post more pics from before the babies or after they leave. Here are some pics I took right after I first got her.

http://scabies.myfreeforum.org/about2001.html

Venom wrote:
And why does everyone beg eddy?
He's not the only one around here.

LOL Not sure about everyone else. Eddy is a local friend and member of our local group, SCABIES. I just know Eddy as the local Scorpion Master.

Thanks, Jules
Back to top Go down
Venom
Centruroides suffusus
Venom

Number of posts : 2834
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Major SHOCK for new Scorpion Keeper!!   Major SHOCK for new Scorpion Keeper!! Empty9/2/2008, 10:42 am

Most scorpion take a week to two weeks to depart from their mothers/molt.

not many scorpions in the wild have been documented to eat their young, its thought to be a problem in captivity due to innacurate habitat mimicery. soo just leave it alone, maybe throw a pre-killed prey in their so it can eat if it wants there's no way to know if it will eat its young, I bothered my first scorpion alot(It was my first, I was excited) and it never ate one.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Major SHOCK for new Scorpion Keeper!!   Major SHOCK for new Scorpion Keeper!! Empty9/2/2008, 3:30 pm

Just pretend you don't own a scorpion for a couple weeks. Very Happy

As Venom said, separate them into delis and offer fruitflies or pinhead crickets for food (once they molt to 2I and come off mom's back). It may take a few extra days for them to harden up enough to want to eat.

If you're worried about selling them as the correct species, just list it as "Paruroctonus sp. (poss. silvestrii)."

Best of luck!
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Major SHOCK for new Scorpion Keeper!!   Major SHOCK for new Scorpion Keeper!! Empty9/2/2008, 3:43 pm

Well, you do know 100% that she is infact a girl as females are the only ones who birth hahaha Very Happy

Wait a week or two and then when they are off mums back. Catch mummy and put her to one side in a container. If not, she will come after you like a wild woman!
then with a cup and spoon collect a baby and into their own little containers each.
Then mum can be put back into her tank Very Happy

Just throw a towel over and dont look!
really hard I know but constant looking could cause stress, which could mean she eats her young
xxx
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Major SHOCK for new Scorpion Keeper!!   Major SHOCK for new Scorpion Keeper!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Major SHOCK for new Scorpion Keeper!!
Page 1 of 1