The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA

Go down 
+7
Kejser
Mr. Mordax
nymphetaminion
scorpion111
Venom
_scorpio_
chevyoffroadez
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
chevyoffroadez
Pandinus

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-09-01

CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA Empty
PostSubject: CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA   CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA Empty9/1/2008, 4:37 pm

HI,i live in sonora,ca,and i found a scorpion in my laundry room.under the soap box.i think she is very cool!i have fed her bugs,and she seems ok,but i have no idea what kind she is.she looks like the arizona bark,but she is a very dark brown,even black.she is fast as the wind,so i am shocked she let me catch her.her tail is skinny,and her pinchers are slender.any ideas?thank you

Last edited by chevyoffroadez on 9/21/2008, 8:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA   CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA Empty9/1/2008, 4:39 pm

got a picture?
Back to top Go down
chevyoffroadez
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA   CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA Empty9/1/2008, 4:41 pm

SHE IS AT HOME,IM AT A FRIENDS,I WILL TAKE ONE ASAP
Back to top Go down
chevyoffroadez
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA   CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA Empty9/1/2008, 4:43 pm

I ALSO forgot to say that she is very small,about 3 inches.
Back to top Go down
Venom
Centruroides suffusus
Venom

Number of posts : 2834
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA   CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA Empty9/1/2008, 4:45 pm

Could be a centruroides vittatus, or a Centruroides sculpturus gertschi
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

PostSubject: Re: CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA   CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA Empty9/1/2008, 4:45 pm

good. sounds to me like Centruroides gracilis
Back to top Go down
chevyoffroadez
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA   CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA Empty9/1/2008, 4:47 pm

ok,im blonde,i have been informed,as of now,that 12 inches is really only 6 inches,so that means she is 1 1/2.(and to think all this time...i never hade the legal limit ,EVER!(FISHING)
Back to top Go down
chevyoffroadez
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA   CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA Empty9/1/2008, 4:49 pm

SPELLING >HAD< SORRY
Back to top Go down
Venom
Centruroides suffusus
Venom

Number of posts : 2834

PostSubject: Re: CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA   CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA Empty9/1/2008, 4:49 pm

Isn't Gracilis in East coast?
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

wouldnt know...just fits the description...
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

PostSubject: Re: CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA   CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA Empty9/1/2008, 4:52 pm

wait for the opinion of kejser, mike, eddy ect. (the experienced pros)
Back to top Go down
chevyoffroadez
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA   CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA Empty9/1/2008, 4:57 pm

DOES THE arizona bark only come in one color,?
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA   CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA Empty9/1/2008, 5:00 pm

I think it comes in a few colour morphs.
Back to top Go down
chevyoffroadez
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA   CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA Empty9/1/2008, 5:02 pm

also,my guy got back from IRAC ABOUT 2 years ago.his stuff has been in the laundry room,and,last year i remember about 3 baby scorpions down there.but i wasnt in to it"then.so they could have come from over sea's?via trunks?
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA   CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA Empty9/1/2008, 5:04 pm

chevyoffroadez wrote:
also,my guy got back from IRAC ABOUT 2 years ago.his stuff has been in the laundry room,and,last year i remember about 3 baby scorpions down there.but i wasnt in to it"then.so they could have come from over sea's?via trunks?

yes, i've heard of a few soldiers bringing back beasties in clothes, bags, etc. I also think some try to sneak some home for thier collection. Razz I deffinetly would.
Back to top Go down
nymphetaminion
Tityus
nymphetaminion

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA   CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA Empty9/1/2008, 5:57 pm

Get a pic and we can help you out alot better than taking guesses
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA   CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA Empty9/1/2008, 6:30 pm

A pic for sure would help a LOT. California is home to more species of scorpion than any other state in the US.

-- C. gracilis is restricted to the SE when it occurs in the US
-- C. scupturatus, the Arizona bark, does indeed come in two colorforms (one is solid orange, one is striped like C. vittatus but lacking the intraocular "burgler's mask")
-- It's entirely possible something came home from Iraq, but as the Middle East is home to some of the world's most venomous scorpions, I would advise exercising EXTREME caution with this specimen until we get it IDed.

Thread moved to the ID forum, even though there's no pictures (yet).
Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373

PostSubject: Re: CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA   CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA Empty9/2/2008, 8:42 am

If its a Iraqi scorpion i whould be carefull, does have really potent venom..
Back to top Go down
chevyoffroadez
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA   CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA Empty9/4/2008, 4:32 pm

i have a pictureeeeeeeeee!how do i put it up??? Bang Head :headbang:ok,that said my file type ,(your kind aint wanted around here boy)thats what it said ,..

Last edited by chevyoffroadez on 9/4/2008, 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373

PostSubject: Re: CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA   CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA Empty9/4/2008, 4:52 pm

Just above the Quick-reply box in the bottom on the forum there is alot of buttons, there is one thats called Image, if you click on that it will let you upload a picture from your pc to the forum, all you need to do is upload it and post the url string it posts back to you Very Happy
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472

PostSubject: Re: CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA   CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA Empty9/4/2008, 8:09 pm

chevyoffroadez wrote:
i have a pictureeeeeeeeee!how do i put it up??? Bang Head :headbang:ok,that said my file type ,(your kind aint wanted around here boy)thats what it said ,..
LOL, you can host the picture of the scorpion through your Photobucket account or to the Img hosting site we have here. you click this button CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA Picture_save on the top right and sign up (it only takes five minute and you never have to do it again) then you host your file and it should give you a number of urls click the one way at the bottom (starts with http://) and copy it. Then you click this little button right here CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA Picture again on the top right and click OK you should get some code that looks like this

[ img ]http//fakeurl.com[/img]
click SEND and your picture should be up.

ON A SIDE NOTE, I DOUBT THAT ITS A CENTROIDE SPECIES. MOST LIKELY A VAJOVID.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
chevyoffroadez
Pandinus

PostSubject: chevyoffroadez sonora ca   CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA Empty9/6/2008, 11:42 pm

[img]CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA H7rgmlpf1jb8s33mnng4[/img]what is it daddy , what is ist daddy?can we touch it and hug ??hun?hun?can we???? lol!
Back to top Go down
electrophyste
Babycurus
electrophyste

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA   CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA Empty9/7/2008, 12:15 am

from the blurry picture it looks to be a Hadogenes paucidens or an olive keelded flat rock scorpion to me. Anyone else see it too? there venom is VERY mild, Eddy, a keeper on this forum describes it as a numbness of the finger BUT it has VERY powerful claws. your gonna want to keep the temp up and humidity low. and stack some flat rocks on top of each other so he has some cracks to squeeze his skinny little body through.
As for holding it. this species will not hesitate to pinch you, HARD!

Its weird how it ended up in your laundry room though, they are from Africa. Not the middle east.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA   CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA Empty9/7/2008, 2:46 am

Definitely not Hadogenes. That genus has a much thinner metasoma. It doesn't look like any Middle Eastern species I'm aware of.

A better picture would make things easier -- also, a size reference would help. I'm going to flip through what I know occurs in California and see what I can't turn up.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA   CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA Empty9/7/2008, 2:56 am

Possibilities:

Anuroctonus pococki

Pseudouroctonus sp.

Uroctonites sp.

Uroctonus mordax <-- my favorite species Razz

These may give you something to go by -- let us know where these scorps are similar / different to your own, or post a clearer picture. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA   CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA Empty

Back to top Go down

CANT ID THIS SCORPION FROM SONORA CA
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next