The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

first T. {oblig ten thing}

Go down 
+3
wburke17
*Connie*
scorpion111
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

first T.  {oblig ten thing} Empty
PostSubject: first T. {oblig ten thing}   first T.  {oblig ten thing} Empty8/26/2008, 3:25 pm

yeah I know there are a thousand threads like this, but....

i'm getting my first T from lee at thespidershop.co.uk. I already know it's gonna be a chilean sp. probably a grammostola. I saw a beautiful RCF rosea, and I think that is probably what i will get. then I saw a spiderling Euathlus truculentus. really nice looking T. but it's a spiderling and I hear they are really slow growers. and there a few other adult grammostola T's, "chile red zebra" , and the normal g.rosea.

that Euathlus truculentus is stunning as an adult... but soooo slow. ):

what do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: first T. {oblig ten thing}   first T.  {oblig ten thing} Empty8/26/2008, 5:34 pm

I would say, start with something "easy" for your first Tarantula.

The old fave, brachypelma smithi or emilia.

Maybe Grammostola rosea, colour variation doesnt matter.

Nice a doscile and forgiving to human mistakes!

Maybe also dont start with a spiderling since death can just happen randomly. A juvi would be a good place to start...
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: first T. {oblig ten thing}   first T.  {oblig ten thing} Empty8/26/2008, 5:38 pm

yeah I was thinking that... i just thought it would be cool to watch them grow. Smile
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: first T. {oblig ten thing}   first T.  {oblig ten thing} Empty8/26/2008, 5:47 pm

it is sooo cool watching them grow. But sometimes they just randomly die.

Sometimes its nicer and easier for at least the first to be a juvi OR a spiderling but not teeny tiny but about...5 pence piece size at least. that way a bit more of a chance.
Adam lost an Avicularia avicularia as a small spiderling.
But then again ive heard these can sometimes be hard to raise if conditions not 100%

I would say, get a brachy for your first love and then when comfortable and confident you can move on and up the ladder if you so wish.
I wouldnt suggest brachypelma Albopilosum as a first because thse are pet holes. Lovely! I love out little "Anansi" but really is a super pet hole but a fast grower actually!
Back to top Go down
wburke17
Babycurus
wburke17

Number of posts : 262

PostSubject: Re: first T. {oblig ten thing}   first T.  {oblig ten thing} Empty8/26/2008, 5:52 pm

Ohh come on now... Everybody knows the first T you should get is a P.murinus (OBT) or H.lividium.
JK
Any Grammestola Sp. is going to be a slow grower but a good first time T. Brachys seem to kick alot more hair then Grammy's G.aerostriata(sp?) Chaco golden knee is another good choice
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: first T. {oblig ten thing}   first T.  {oblig ten thing} Empty8/26/2008, 6:13 pm

see.... our Brachy's never raised a hair to us...but the "chile rose" has a few times in a POOF random manner!

I think the best are brachys or grammestolas....

Both I think are good beginner T's
xxx
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: first T. {oblig ten thing}   first T.  {oblig ten thing} Empty8/27/2008, 12:16 pm

YAY!!! I just bought a g.rosea from the spider shop. it's a juvi i think. i've got the tank all set up, humidity is about 60% but will get dryer. they are really hardy so it should be ok.

god I hope it's a female.
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

Number of posts : 2631
Registration date : 2008-07-12

PostSubject: Re: first T. {oblig ten thing}   first T.  {oblig ten thing} Empty8/27/2008, 12:37 pm

our stigg kinda went in at the deep end, i bought him the chile rose for his birthday and the then pink toe. Then went straight to slings.

We've only lost one and that was to slight over-watering. but all have survived. You just have to be more vigilant with slings. the red knee was barely 1cm when we got it... now its doing well and looking like a proper little T now
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

Number of posts : 2916
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: first T. {oblig ten thing}   first T.  {oblig ten thing} Empty8/27/2008, 12:51 pm

dont forget to put pics up once you get him/her
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: first T. {oblig ten thing}   first T.  {oblig ten thing} Empty8/27/2008, 1:13 pm

i'll try. Smile

if I can find something to take the pics with. Razz
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: first T. {oblig ten thing}   first T.  {oblig ten thing} Empty8/29/2008, 11:43 am

yaaaay!!

the T arrived today! shes so cute! and shes still quite small, deff a juvi. so happy! i'll deffinetly be buying more stuff from the spider shop in the future. avic avic is next on my list.

she's red and fluffy! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: first T. {oblig ten thing}   first T.  {oblig ten thing} Empty8/29/2008, 12:02 pm

well i just found out she is VERY hungry. i lifted the lid to check on her and a wood chip fell down next too her and she dived for it. so i put in a cricket and she grabed it in the blink of an eye. she does look quite thin so this should perk her up a bit.
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

Number of posts : 2631
Registration date : 2008-07-12

PostSubject: Re: first T. {oblig ten thing}   first T.  {oblig ten thing} Empty8/29/2008, 12:06 pm

hehehe Lee will be happy then lol! Cant deny he's a good bloke! Looking forward to meeting him when we can go to shows!

Everything we have had off him as jumped on their food within 24 hours of receiving them.
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: first T. {oblig ten thing}   first T.  {oblig ten thing} Empty8/29/2008, 12:22 pm

yes, he's got very health T's! Very Happy

well she spun a big sheet of webbing on the substrate and dumped the cricket on it. i take it this is a "food mat".
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: first T. {oblig ten thing}   first T.  {oblig ten thing} Empty8/29/2008, 2:38 pm

Im glad she has arrived safe and sound and seems to be feeding well and settling into her new home nicely

Any pics?
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: first T. {oblig ten thing}   first T.  {oblig ten thing} Empty8/29/2008, 2:51 pm

no, sorry! I really really wish i could take pics though... she's so cute! I will be getting a digital camera at christmas though. i know what i will be getting with my christmas money..... What a Face
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: first T. {oblig ten thing}   first T.  {oblig ten thing} Empty8/31/2008, 3:12 pm

right I got a good view of the T's undersides today. I saw a smiley face...

yay she's a girl! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: first T. {oblig ten thing}   first T.  {oblig ten thing} Empty9/1/2008, 6:03 pm

damn... she seems REALLY active. every time I see her she's in a different position. i've made the hide smaller so it might seem... "snugger" for her. I don't think it's that the substrate bothering her, as she hasn't webbed over it or anyting. and it is perfectly dry.

hmmm.....
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

Number of posts : 2916
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: first T. {oblig ten thing}   first T.  {oblig ten thing} Empty9/1/2008, 6:22 pm

webbing over can take a while before its really noticable, is she clinging at te side of the tank at all
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: first T. {oblig ten thing}   first T.  {oblig ten thing} Empty9/1/2008, 6:25 pm

Probably still settling in.
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: first T. {oblig ten thing}   first T.  {oblig ten thing} Empty9/1/2008, 6:56 pm

yeah I suppose so. i'll leave her for as long as necesary to settle down.
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: first T. {oblig ten thing}   first T.  {oblig ten thing} Empty9/4/2008, 4:31 pm

update

ok, she's doing really well so far. I have noticed a little bit of webbing outside the hide, you can see the sheen when light hits of it. she sits on it and waits for prey to wonder by...

she's had 4 crickets this week, i'll feed her again in 2 weeks time. she is a good feeder! What a Face
as soon as she feels the slightest vibration in the ground... BANG, the cricket is dead.

I love this T! Smile
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: first T. {oblig ten thing}   first T.  {oblig ten thing} Empty9/4/2008, 7:58 pm

Probably didn't eat much at the petstore. Don't be surprised if she fasts like an emp.
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: first T. {oblig ten thing}   first T.  {oblig ten thing} Empty9/5/2008, 11:20 am

IHeartMantids wrote:
Probably didn't eat much at the petstore. Don't be surprised if she fasts like an emp.

yeah, she was a bit skinny when I got her.
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: first T. {oblig ten thing}   first T.  {oblig ten thing} Empty9/23/2008, 5:43 pm

update

okay, she is doing fine, webbed the cage up a little bit, I was gonna try to hold her at some point... but it's kinda lost its novelty now. Neutral

she is feeding fine as well, had a locust tonight, and spinned her little food mat thingy What a Face

she's brilliant! and she has put on a little bit of weight on, and has a nice plump abdomen ( not too plump)

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: first T. {oblig ten thing}   first T.  {oblig ten thing} Empty

Back to top Go down

first T. {oblig ten thing}
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next