The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Unactive desert hairy

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
R-Dawg
Centruroides
R-Dawg

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2008-05-18

Unactive desert hairy Empty
PostSubject: Unactive desert hairy   Unactive desert hairy Empty7/20/2008, 7:51 pm

My desert hairy scorpion isnt as active as some of my friends and such. Shes not sluggish but the only time I see her moving about is during the night hours when the heat lamp is off. She isnt aggresive AT ALL. Ive had to move her every now and then when cleaning the sides of the enclosure because of the sub. i put in (Sorta splattered when it was wet). She wont attack the paint brush I use to move her. Should I be worried about her? I know I shouldnt really post this since shes only been in the enclosure for one day. It seems like when I have the lamp on she justs hides and doesnt move but when I turn it off during the night it's a green light for her to start walking and being active. I know scorps. are nocturnal but still...

I'm also thinking that she may be acting like this because shes close to molting.
Back to top Go down
http://www.waspstorm.darkbb.com
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

Number of posts : 2631
Registration date : 2008-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Unactive desert hairy   Unactive desert hairy Empty7/20/2008, 8:26 pm

naah always post when in doubt, it may be something or nothing but better to get the views of several people. I personally haven't kept this sp but firstly has she eaten since you bought her? loss of appetite can be a signal in most cases of immanent sloughing.

I would also say that she may still be finding her feet in her enclosure, especially if she is active at night, she may not be a morning person lol! What are her night movements like... i.e. hunting? or just feeling around?

Worst case scenario is that she is already old and on her way out, what size is she?
Back to top Go down
R-Dawg
Centruroides
R-Dawg

PostSubject: Re: Unactive desert hairy   Unactive desert hairy Empty7/20/2008, 8:50 pm

shes small. about an inch and a half.

She just walks around exploring.

And no she hasnt eaten since i got her. Whats immanent sloughing?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Unactive desert hairy   Unactive desert hairy Empty7/20/2008, 8:58 pm

That's her way of saying "in premolt."

Most scorps are weird when they're not used to the enclosure. Give her a week or so to settle in.
Back to top Go down
R-Dawg
Centruroides
R-Dawg

PostSubject: Re: Unactive desert hairy   Unactive desert hairy Empty7/20/2008, 9:15 pm

Okay, I hope she gets better. When should I feed her? After pre-molt?
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

Number of posts : 2631
Registration date : 2008-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Unactive desert hairy   Unactive desert hairy Empty7/21/2008, 7:24 am

once it has sloughed then wait a couple of days for the new exoskeleton to harden then feed has as normal... she should be REALLY hungry!
Back to top Go down
Canth
Babycurus
Canth

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Unactive desert hairy   Unactive desert hairy Empty7/21/2008, 8:22 am

Yeah, she will definitely be hungry after a molt. I typically wait at least a week before feeding a freshly molted scorpion, just so I know for sure that the exoskeleton has hardened and there's no chance of the cricket eating the scorpion.
Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Unactive desert hairy   Unactive desert hairy Empty7/21/2008, 8:28 am

What temps are she keept at? and humidty???
Back to top Go down
R-Dawg
Centruroides
R-Dawg

PostSubject: Re: Unactive desert hairy   Unactive desert hairy Empty7/21/2008, 9:42 am

Anywhere between 84-85 to 90 for temp and 40-50humidity

At night the temp gets in the 70s low would be 75 at the least and 78 at the most
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unactive desert hairy   Unactive desert hairy Empty

Back to top Go down

Unactive desert hairy
Page 1 of 1