The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Scorpion for a beginner?

Go down 
+5
*Connie*
R-Dawg
scorpion111
lycanlord
luke11
9 posters
AuthorMessage
luke11
Pandinus

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Scorpion for a beginner? Empty
PostSubject: Scorpion for a beginner?   Scorpion for a beginner? Empty7/20/2008, 3:55 pm

Hi im new to scorpions and was wondering what scorpion is the best for a beginner (me) Razz ?

I havent quite got all the required items yet, but i thought i should ask so that i could leave the thread for long enough time period to be able to get a couple of responses Smile

Thanks for your help Smile

Luke
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

Number of posts : 2916
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion for a beginner?   Scorpion for a beginner? Empty7/20/2008, 4:24 pm

the real beginner scorp is a emperor scorpion ( Pandinus imperator ) they have very week venom ( feels like a bee sting ) and in general they have a less agressive nature than most scorpions, they will let you hold them occasionally.

Last edited by IHeartMantids on 7/20/2008, 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : no such genus as "oandinus" :P)
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion for a beginner?   Scorpion for a beginner? Empty7/20/2008, 4:43 pm

hi! yeah emperors are good begginer scorps, i have an adult femle and shes a great little pet. . another begginer scorp is pandinus cavimanus, or the red claw. theyre vey simmilar to emps carewise, but can be quite aggressive. you could also try the desert hairy scorpion. they can be pretty aggressive and are a desert species unlike emps and cavi's.
Back to top Go down
luke11
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion for a beginner?   Scorpion for a beginner? Empty7/20/2008, 4:48 pm

thanks 4 the replies Smile i will keep them in mind
Back to top Go down
R-Dawg
Centruroides
R-Dawg

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2008-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion for a beginner?   Scorpion for a beginner? Empty7/20/2008, 5:09 pm

C. Vittatus are good beginners if you dont plan on touching them or anything. Dont require barely any humidity and the temp. is easy to control because it's around room temp. and if it's low just get a heating lamp.
Back to top Go down
http://www.waspstorm.darkbb.com
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion for a beginner?   Scorpion for a beginner? Empty7/20/2008, 5:23 pm

I would say a pandinus imperator or couple to begin with. To get your confidence and to then move onwards and upwards *if you want, and you will want to*

But as mentioned before, it is possible to hold a pandinus imperator...I wouldnt even attempt with "Tabitha" my pandinus cavimanus hahaha.

xxx
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion for a beginner?   Scorpion for a beginner? Empty7/20/2008, 5:26 pm

he cant get a c. vittatus cuz hes english, he is gunna get a H. arizonensis cuz he like the look of c. vittatus n they are simillar, cept from the bandit mask lol
Back to top Go down
Canth
Babycurus
Canth

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion for a beginner?   Scorpion for a beginner? Empty7/20/2008, 5:31 pm

I'm going to say an adult Hadrurus sp is one of the best beginner sp. They don't require humidity, aren't that much smaller than emps and have a bit of attitude to keep the beginner keeper interested.

You can also look into any North American sp that isn't Centruroides. Although, as you're English, that might be somewhat difficult to obtain.

Though, according to lycan's post you've already figured this out :p
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion for a beginner?   Scorpion for a beginner? Empty7/20/2008, 5:34 pm

the problem with england is that the entire buthid family is on the dwa list
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion for a beginner?   Scorpion for a beginner? Empty7/20/2008, 5:35 pm

i know lycan. its so crap. i want some b.jacksoni so bad. goddamn dwa!
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

Number of posts : 2631
Registration date : 2008-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion for a beginner?   Scorpion for a beginner? Empty7/20/2008, 5:38 pm

yeah emperors are excellent 1st choice and quite forgiving with regards to humidity and temperature, although you should keep both as close to required spec. that is of course if you dont put them in a totally dry cold tank!!!! they will die!

although some of the pandinus species can be slightly more aggressive I've found in my experience it does depend on the individual scorpion. My P.Cavimarus was as daft as they come! they are all pretty much of impressive size and will get you hooked. Another bonus is that you can keep them communally. And given enough space and hides you can keep a community of different pandinus species. Once tried this as an experiment and worked really well.

hope it all comes together for you Smile
Back to top Go down
luke11
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion for a beginner?   Scorpion for a beginner? Empty7/20/2008, 5:55 pm

thanks for all the replies, really helped Smile
Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion for a beginner?   Scorpion for a beginner? Empty7/20/2008, 6:03 pm

lycanlord19 wrote:
the real beginner scorp is a emperor scorpion ( oandinus imperator ) they have very week venom ( feels like a bee sting ) and in general they have a less agressive nature than most scorpions, they will let you hold them occasionally.

i Didnt know it got re-named???
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion for a beginner?   Scorpion for a beginner? Empty7/20/2008, 6:08 pm

lol typo sorry about that, i didnt even not ice lol!
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion for a beginner?   Scorpion for a beginner? Empty7/20/2008, 9:15 pm

I agree with Cant H. arizonensis are much easier to care for but you should get one as an adult.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion for a beginner?   Scorpion for a beginner? Empty7/20/2008, 9:42 pm

lol he is getting a h. arizonensis, i now a guy that is seling an adult so he is gunna get it off of him, im also getting a juvi from the same guy should arrive on tuesday the same day as my 2i emp
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion for a beginner?   Scorpion for a beginner? Empty

Back to top Go down

Scorpion for a beginner?
Page 1 of 1