The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Everyone can help me out :D

Go down 
+4
Venom
lycanlord
*Connie*
nymphetaminion
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Everyone can help me out :D - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Everyone can help me out :D   Everyone can help me out :D - Page 2 Empty7/16/2008, 10:14 am

Here it is:

http://oregonstate.edu/~reitmajm/BioE%20499%20Final%20Paper.docx

It's in *docx format, so if you don't have Word 2007, you'll need to download the converter from Microsoft.
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

Number of posts : 2631
Registration date : 2008-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Everyone can help me out :D   Everyone can help me out :D - Page 2 Empty7/16/2008, 1:40 pm

that should make for some interesting reading later Very Happy
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

Number of posts : 2916
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Everyone can help me out :D   Everyone can help me out :D - Page 2 Empty7/17/2008, 3:26 am

this is a good litlle chunk of infromation

The scorpion Leiurus quinquestriatus hebraeus carries a number of very potent neurotoxins which act to block sodium and potassium channels in the body (4). While this action is the key to the mechanism of the poison, pharmaceutical companies have expressed interest in how the toxin might be used in medicine. Because these channels have been linked to the regulation of insulin in the body, there may be some use of this toxin to treat diabetics. The toxin appears to lend itself to applications other than its natural function. Claudio Vita and colleagues in France have taken advantage of the physical structure of the toxin to engineer molecules with "different biological properties," essentially using the stability of the folding structure to build other molecules
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: Everyone can help me out :D   Everyone can help me out :D - Page 2 Empty7/17/2008, 9:33 am

For those who don't have a background in biochemistry, the molecules are so stable because of the disulfide bonds. Proteins are simply a chain of amino acids, and disulfide bonds link parts of the chain that aren't close in sequence to give it a tight, "solid" structure. Proteins without these bonds can sort of "come undone" when they are heated or exposed to very high or low pH. With these bonds, proteins may loosen a little bit, but they usually retain structure and thus functionality.
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: Everyone can help me out :D   Everyone can help me out :D - Page 2 Empty7/17/2008, 11:32 am

i seriously need to back to college.. too many years bringing up kids has turned my brain to mush!!!! I get the general jist of this but its all way out of my league... interesting nontheless. Stuff like this might just kick start my head into college mode again.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705

PostSubject: Re: Everyone can help me out :D   Everyone can help me out :D - Page 2 Empty7/17/2008, 11:37 am

Didnt he state " I need any type of info you have on scorpions,and by this i mean not google stuff,I want random bits(fun facts,history...you get my point) of info on scorps."

Come on people, get off google and post YOUR info, im super interested
xxx
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373

PostSubject: Re: Everyone can help me out :D   Everyone can help me out :D - Page 2 Empty7/17/2008, 11:47 am

IHeartMantids wrote:
For those who don't have a background in biochemistry, the molecules are so stable because of the disulfide bonds. Proteins are simply a chain of amino acids, and disulfide bonds link parts of the chain that aren't close in sequence to give it a tight, "solid" structure. Proteins without these bonds can sort of "come undone" when they are heated or exposed to very high or low pH. With these bonds, proteins may loosen a little bit, but they usually retain structure and thus functionality.

Dude read your own Sig... need i say more Very Happy heheh man that was some werid stuff mate Very Happy
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

PostSubject: Re: Everyone can help me out :D   Everyone can help me out :D - Page 2 Empty7/17/2008, 12:09 pm

if that was at me connie yeah that info came from google but it is something i was aware of, just like most of you will be aware of the whole using for cancer, i just couldnt put it into words easily.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Everyone can help me out :D   Everyone can help me out :D - Page 2 Empty7/17/2008, 12:11 pm

Not aimed at anyone in an *attack* way.
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: Everyone can help me out :D   Everyone can help me out :D - Page 2 Empty7/18/2008, 4:04 am

I think this is an awesome thread... because anyone coming into the hobby and stumbles on this page has sooooo many facts and story's about in one thread. Especially the cancer thing, put into laymens its a lot easier to understand!

But yeah connie i think we need some more story's of what people have seen their scorpion do, weird behaviour etc.
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

PostSubject: Re: Everyone can help me out :D   Everyone can help me out :D - Page 2 Empty7/18/2008, 5:27 am

i didnt mean that in a nasty way connie sorry lol ill make that clear now, dont want a silly half argument like the missunderstanding in i6 lmao lol!
Back to top Go down
Venom
Centruroides suffusus
Venom

Number of posts : 2834
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Everyone can help me out :D   Everyone can help me out :D - Page 2 Empty7/18/2008, 1:39 pm

A certain scorpion (tytius) had her scorpions taken away and put on another, but the scorplings rejected her.

When the non-mother was covered with mother scent the scorplings remained on her.

When scorplings where covered with different scent, mother rejected them.

Scorplings absorb water through their mother's pores on her back.

There are two types of ways different scorpions develop. One feeds directly through mouth which develops early, the other develops slowly and feeds through something(I forgt)

They don't have one mass central nervous system(BRAIN) they have ganglions spread out, I believe it's seven of them. I believe 7 in total, 5 mesasoma and 3 in the metasoma.

Hmmm....
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: Everyone can help me out :D   Everyone can help me out :D - Page 2 Empty7/18/2008, 2:43 pm

I thought the scorplings absorbing moisture from the mother theory wasn't 100% proven, or has it been proved since i was last kept scorpions. Not a dig just curiousity Smile
Back to top Go down
Venom
Centruroides suffusus
Venom

Number of posts : 2834
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Everyone can help me out :D   Everyone can help me out :D - Page 2 Empty7/18/2008, 5:09 pm

I read it in that book.
i unno
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: Everyone can help me out :D   Everyone can help me out :D - Page 2 Empty7/18/2008, 5:23 pm

lol ok then. I cant remember where i read it now, but i know at the time i read it there was a lot of discussion about the theory. but that was about 6 years ago.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Everyone can help me out :D   Everyone can help me out :D - Page 2 Empty7/19/2008, 3:27 am

I have read about the scent before. I turely believe thats why they dont eat their young but will happily eat someone elses.
Ive never tried it, since only had one brood and no other female...and also dont want to lose anyone hehe
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Everyone can help me out :D   Everyone can help me out :D - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Everyone can help me out :D
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum! :: The Scorpion's Lair :: Scorpions In General-
Jump to: