The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Any Scorpion book recommendations?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
low1ander
Pandinus
low1ander

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2017-08-24

Any Scorpion book recommendations? Empty
PostSubject: Any Scorpion book recommendations?   Any Scorpion book recommendations? Empty10/8/2017, 7:33 pm

Just wondering if anyone here had any recommendations on scorpion reading material generally for reference. I've seen several books on amazon and ebay with poor reviews, if anyone can refer me to something trusted I would highly appreciate it. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Any Scorpion book recommendations?   Any Scorpion book recommendations? Empty10/9/2017, 12:34 pm

What kind of reference material would you like? Husbandry books, or something more in depth and scientific?

I've owned quite a few scorpion husbandry books, and most were pretty terrible. The only book that I'd kind of recommend is Scorpions. Complete Pet Owners Manual by Manny Rubio. It's the best of a bad bunch, but it does have some useful basic care information and some nice pictures. However, I think scorpion keeping has progressed so much since this book was written (particularly in Europe) that you may be left wanting a lot more information than what this book can offer. There are so many species available now that aren't covered, and thanks to a small number of mostly German breeders, husbandry techniques have advanced hugely making this book even more obsolete in my opinion. (Edit: I own the original edition of this book. It was updated in 2008 so it may be more relevant now)

If you would like to learn more about the science of scorpions, and also look at some nice pictures, I would recommend Scorpions of the World by Eric Ythier and Roland Stockmann. The book is written in generally easy to understand language and covers scorpion anatomy, taxonomy, venom and ecology, as well as descriptions (including pictures) and distribution of 350 species. There's also a chapter discussing the myths and legends about scorpions throughout history. It's not a cheap book to buy, but as an amateur hobbyist I found it an interesting read and I still use the book for reference.
Back to top Go down
low1ander
Pandinus
low1ander

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2017-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Any Scorpion book recommendations?   Any Scorpion book recommendations? Empty10/9/2017, 5:09 pm

The latter sounds great! Thank you! I plan to be a keeper of these guys for the rest of my days, no investment is too great. Have a great evening.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any Scorpion book recommendations?   Any Scorpion book recommendations? Empty

Back to top Go down

Any Scorpion book recommendations?
Page 1 of 1