The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
ChatBox

Share | 

Pandinus Enthusiast

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
low1ander
Pandinus

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2017-08-24

PostSubject: Pandinus Enthusiast    8/25/2017, 10:46 am

I have two Pandinus Imperators and two Pandinus Dictators. The Imperators came from Backwater Reptiles, although I've waded through countless poor reviews from the place I thought being in the market for Imperators it would make sense to give it a try. If they were poorly kept then surely they deserved liberation, and I stood to lose nothing more valuable than the life of a precious scorpion, so I took the chance. I'm pleased to report that they were successfully shipped overnight, they spent roughly ten hours being shipped from California to North Carolina and they arrived active and healthy. Having just traveled from one end of North American to the other I placed the two of them, babies at roughly 1" each, in a medium sized cricket keeper (8"x4"x6")with some misted cocoa fiber and a few oak leaves for temporary hides. I do not want to disturb them for the rest of the day. I'm a scorpion too and I don't care to be bothered much after I'm done travelling. I consider this adoption a success!

The two Pandinus Dictators I purchased through this website from MathiasVG. I'm quite impressed. Not only did the seller out-perform Backwaterreptiles by processing and shipping the scorpions more promptly with tracking information, but the scorpions themselves are vibrant to say the least. I have each of them in their own seperate "cricket keeper"(3"x6"x4") with misted cocoa fiber substrate and a couple of oak leaves for them to hide beneath.

All three of the "cricket keepers" are inside a 75 gallon aquarium with a substrate of large smooth stones and calcium sand, there are also a few pothos plants, and a couple ferns in there to help with humidity. The tank itself maintains a steady 77 degrees with 75% humidity without any change at all. There is a hood light above the tank which I've dimmed with a piece of mossy oak fabric over a piece of glass that fits perfectly above one side of the tank, the plants are on the brighter side.

Watching the baby Emperors explore their new tank makes me pretty happy, the Dictators seem to be pretty content hiding beneath the leaves. It's a good day in my scorpion lair.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
low1ander
Pandinus

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2017-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Enthusiast    9/12/2017, 8:11 pm

17 days later, all of this has changed. I got some tips from the seller and altered the habitat immediately after I had made this post. Currently the two Emperors are in a zoomed bugarium, there is four inches of fine eco earth substrate and over head heat. This set up holds high humidity very well. The scorpions have burrowed against the back glass so I have full view of their lair. I drop a wax worm, a mealworm, cricket or dubia roach at the mouth of the burrow and presto, they snatch it up pretty fast. They are still very active and almost every night I can observe them hunting around 2 a.m.

The Dictators are in a ten gallon aquarium with six inches of fine eco earth substrate. This set up doesn't hold humidity as well as the bugarium but I'm still adjusting things gradually. I find the best approach is misting the sides of the glass or slowly pouring spring water into the substrate itself. Both Dictators are active and can generally each be seen around 2 a.m. They each have their own burrow, one on the warmer side, and the other on the cooler side.

Neither of my scorpion habitats have a false bottom, but I am currently putting another habitat together in a twenty gallon long tank that I plan to use the gravel/vertical tube false bottom method. Once the Dictators grow a little more I'll put them in the twenty gallon, and the Emperors in the ten gallon.

I have several Yellow Belly Sliders, and it is a real gem to catch them basking. Stealing a glimpse of the scorpions hunting is a comparable treat. Watching them lay in waiting to spring an ambush, or just move around a little has yet to lose it's thrill for me. I am interested in the Red Claw Emperor if anyone knows where they are available online.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Pandinus Enthusiast
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1