The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Is my scorpion fat?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Miro
Pandinus
Miro

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2017-06-17

Is my scorpion fat? Empty
PostSubject: Is my scorpion fat?   Is my scorpion fat? Empty6/17/2017, 10:24 am

Sooo I think this is a Small wood scorpion. He is about 2-3 cm tall.
I caught him in my home country Croatia.
I am having some trouble feeding him. I offered him worms but anything bigger than him is a no no. (I am very saddened by this because if I saw a 10 m kebab there is no way I would let that go.)
Only thing I am 100% sure and saw him ate are larvae. I offered him some small caterpillars. I newer saw him ate it but there was nothing left in the container so i guess he ate that.
The problem is that larvae are becoming harder and harder to find.
Anyway i found out that they dont need to eat that much so I was wondering if he maybe became too fat and that is the reason he    refuses food? And if he is indeed too fat how long should he be on a diet?
Is my scorpion fat? P1030411Is my scorpion fat? P1030410  
(He has a proper tank with hiding places and everything, pictures were taken in transportation container for better visibility.)
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Is my scorpion fat?   Is my scorpion fat? Empty6/18/2017, 3:09 am

I think what you may have there is a pregnant female, which would explain the chubbiness. Adult Euscorpius sp. can be sexed via their vesicle. Males typically have a very large a bulbous vesicle in comparison to the females.

Euscorpius sp. normally give birth over the summer, mate again in late summer/early autumn and gestate for around 10 months, ready to give birth in the following years summer.
Back to top Go down
Miro
Pandinus
Miro

PostSubject: Re: Is my scorpion fat?   Is my scorpion fat? Empty6/18/2017, 4:38 am

That completely slipped my mind, yes it could be female, I gotta find some glass container and take a picture from the bottom to make sure what sex it is. (And I really hope you are wrong because I am totally not ready for this now.  Crying or Very sad )

Had to read your post three times to understand it. The vesicle, damn ok it is smaller, so it is female.
Gotta come up wit a new name for her but that is the least of my worries... [hopscotch] babies, i will need more containers.
How the hell im gonna find baby sized food i got problems with the adult as it is...
Ok i will see how things develop in the future and will keep you guys posted.
Back to top Go down
Miro
Pandinus
Miro

PostSubject: Re: Is my scorpion fat?   Is my scorpion fat? Empty6/19/2017, 4:56 am

So I am reading everywhere that i should use bottled water for scorpion to drink, but is it really that necessary? What are your experiences?

Quote :
Yes, some bottled water comes from sparkling springs and other pristine sources. But more than 25 percent of it comes from a municipal supply. The water is treated, purified and sold to us, often at a thousandfold increase in price. Most people are surprised to learn that they’re drinking glorified tap water, but bottlers aren’t required to list the source on the label.
Back to top Go down
Miro
Pandinus
Miro

PostSubject: Re: Is my scorpion fat?   Is my scorpion fat? Empty8/8/2017, 5:00 pm

Hi guys! Just a quick update. I have at least two new members of my scorpion family!  cheers  I saw 2 baby scorpions today. They are already walking on their own. I cant get a good look on their mother now so I am not sure if there are more scorpions on her back...

Ok the story goes like this.... About two weeks a go...I did not see my scorp for a few days... And I was getting kind of worried because she would come out at least every other day at night and walk around. If not at night then I usually  see her in the early morning resting on the rock. Anyway after not seeing my scorp for at least 5 days I decided to put some food in the tank. She got out the day after and caught the cricket. Day after that i saw her roaming around the tank. (I am thinking well look at her she saw food and now she is looking for more.) I dont have the best view of the tank ATM but I dont recall seeing anything on her back that day...) So I waited a week and droped 2 crickets and a caterpillar. After 2 days I saw this... Is my scorpion fat? P1030410
At first glance I thought caterpillar died on me and left the guts on the rock or something. (I had sometimes snails dying in my storage container and looking like they exploded or something.)  And then I come closer and saw this little fella is holding him! HAHA! And I thought I will have trouble feeding them.
Not sure did he catch the caterpillar by himself but I am happy seeing him eat!
Ok that is it for now.. I gotta figure out how to transfer these guys in another tank, they are so tiny!
So i wanted to ask are they really growing that fast? I am surprised that they somehow managed to be born and 1 or 2 weeks after that are able to leave their mothers back already...

(Ou yeah I forgot to mention... I cought some big smart [buttocks] grasshopper. He is always on the high ground, on top of the glass or on the hygrometer. After seeing the baby scorps I decided to put him on the ground. I accidentally  broke one of his leg, but he still managed to get up on the glass did 360 all around the tank and back on the hygrometer. Sly bastard. )

PS. Looked at the mother this morning, she caught that high and fly grasshopper. No babys on her back. I saw a white one too so there a definitely 3 baby scorps at least. I will see on the web should I put them in their own container or is it too early for that....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is my scorpion fat?   Is my scorpion fat? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is my scorpion fat?
Page 1 of 1