The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

H. Spinifer gave birth 2 days ago.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Thor Wotanson
Pandinus
Thor Wotanson

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2017-01-24

H. Spinifer gave birth 2 days ago. Empty
PostSubject: H. Spinifer gave birth 2 days ago.   H. Spinifer gave birth 2 days ago. Empty5/14/2017, 2:16 pm

My Malaysian forest scorpion just have birth about 2 days ago.

What do I do?
When do I separate the young and keep them by themselves?
What do I feed the youngsters?
What types of enclosures do I use and set up?

How do you pack and ship youngsters, best carrier to use etc?
What is a fair price for youngsters & shipping?

It's PayPal okay or should I do cash only?
How do I handle a death upon arrival & should I just take the customer's word for it?

RSVP!!!!!H. Spinifer gave birth 2 days ago. Scorpl17
H. Spinifer gave birth 2 days ago. Scorpl18
H. Spinifer gave birth 2 days ago. Scorpi17
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-09-21

H. Spinifer gave birth 2 days ago. Empty
PostSubject: Re: H. Spinifer gave birth 2 days ago.   H. Spinifer gave birth 2 days ago. Empty5/15/2017, 5:35 pm

Congratulations!

What do I do? Give them peace and quiet until they moult from 1i to 2i. This should occur in the next week or two. Ensure humidity is kept high during this time.

When do I separate the young and keep them by themselves? Once the young have left the mothers back and begin wandering around, generally a few days after moulting to 2i. You can keep the young together, or house them all separately. Obviously there is a risk of cannibalism if housed in a group.

What do I feed the youngsters? Appropriately sized insects such as crickets or roaches. They may also accept pre-killed large prey if you don't have anything small enough to hand. Also, make sure their housing is humid and water is available via a very small, shallow water dish or droplets on the container sides. Juveniles are very prone to dehydration.

What types of enclosures do I use and set up? Deli pots or old crickets tubs work well for housing young scorpions. Keep them exactly the same as you would the mother - humid, deep, moist substrate and mid to high 20 C's.

As to selling the youngsters, how you do that is up to you. For pricing I would have a look around forum/facebook classifieds to get an idea of how much 2i's of this species sell for.

Selling online using paypal and shipping is probably the best way to move on the young. I don't know where you are located so I can't advise on carriers, shipping costs etc.

If you type in to google ''how to pack tarantulas for shipping'' you'll find tons of guides and videos on how to do it. Use common sense and replicate the methods that obviously show safe (for the animal) packing i.e. well protected and insulated. There are some terrible guides out there.

D.O.A's are again up to you. With good packaging and monitoring of the weather, express shipping and no disasters, such as delays in shipping, you shouldn't lose any scorpions. Some sellers state no live arrival guarantee, others only offer a live arrival guarantee if the fastest possible shipping method is used. Usually one that arrives to the buyer within a day or two. Should a scorpion arrive dead even when it's been properly packed and shipped quickly (if you offer a live arrival guarantee) the buyer must provide good evidence to prove the scorpion died in transit. A picture should do the job! You can then discuss refunds, replacements etc....
Back to top Go down

H. Spinifer gave birth 2 days ago.
Page 1 of 1