The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Help!! Is it molting??

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Thor Wotanson
Pandinus
Thor Wotanson

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2017-01-24

Help!!  Is it molting?? Empty
PostSubject: Help!! Is it molting??   Help!!  Is it molting?? Empty1/26/2017, 12:14 am

I've only had my scorpion since the repticon Saturday. I've noticed that there are greyish areas between its exo-skeleton plates seem to be enlarging.  I'll try to show pics in order, oldest to newest.

It has refused all food, but was very happy to see the water dish.  After exploring the cage, it got settled in and was very grumpy earlier today and late yesterday.

Help!!  Is it molting??  <a href=Help!!  Is it molting?? Scorp%20selfie1" />

Help!!  Is it molting??  <a href=Help!!  Is it molting?? Scorp%20home3" />

Help!!  Is it molting??  <a href=Help!!  Is it molting?? Scorp%20maybe%20molt1" />

Help!!  Is it molting??  <a href=Help!!  Is it molting?? Scorp%20maybe%20molt2" />

Help!!  Is it molting??  <a href=

Help!!  Is it molting?? Scorp%20maybe%20molt3" />

Help!!  Is it molting??  <a href=Help!!  Is it molting?? Scorp%20maybe%20molt4" />
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Help!! Is it molting??   Help!!  Is it molting?? Empty1/26/2017, 4:30 am

I just replied to your other thread before I spotted this one. D'oh!

Going by the colour of the telson (sting), your scorpion looks like it is an adult so it will not moult again. It's normal for the membrane to be visible slightly between the tergites and along the side of an adult scorpion. Your scorpion doesn't look overly fat, although if it continues to enlarge it may turn out that you have a gravid female.

Your new pet has probably had weeks of stressful experiences before it came in to your care. It was likely wild collected somewhere in South East Asia, put into crates with hundreds of other scorpions, had a bumpy ride to dealer in Thailand/Malaysia etc., flown to an exotics wholesaler in the USA, shipped again to whoever the seller was at Repticon, put on display in a busy hall full of people and finally moved again to come home with you.

The best advice I can give you is to just leave it alone for a week or two. Ensure it has a deep and damp substrate (at least 4'') for it to burrow into, fresh water, temperatures in the 80 - 85f range, and a tank sited away from lights, noise and vibrations. Let it settle down, start a burrow and feel safe.
Back to top Go down
Thor Wotanson
Pandinus
Thor Wotanson

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2017-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Help!! Is it molting??   Help!!  Is it molting?? Empty1/26/2017, 6:40 am

The seller called her the "selfie scorpion". I assured her that she would only be handled as a last resort, which pleased her because the seller said she deserved retirement. She can almost reach the screen now with the substrate as it is. It's only a 3 gallon tank, again sized to what she said because it made feeding easier. There are 2 hiding places already. With 4" her tail might get caught in the screen!!

I paid $40 to her for the scorpion + all substrate and hides. I got the 3 gallon tank from another vendor at repticon for $20, the heat pad, cricket setup food etc at another pet store for $45. The seller said she was 2-4 years old and would live to 7-10 years of age. Does that sound about right?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help!! Is it molting??   Help!!  Is it molting?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Help!! Is it molting??
Page 1 of 1