The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Dwarf Wood Scorpion

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
AndrewLee
Pandinus

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2015-01-07

Dwarf Wood Scorpion Empty
PostSubject: Dwarf Wood Scorpion   Dwarf Wood Scorpion Empty2/14/2016, 10:09 pm

Hi, I have a few questions on these species.
I know their basic care and was wondering if you would recommend these species for beginners. Another question is do you know where I can get them? They seem pretty rare. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Dave Dunn
Hadogenes
Dave Dunn

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Wood Scorpion   Dwarf Wood Scorpion Empty2/15/2016, 8:28 am

I'm assuming you mean Liocheles australasiae? liocheles waigiensis (or hormurus waigiensis) are what I'm familiar with,but it seems care is very similar. I would say they are good for beginners,they are Mycosis (fungus infection) resistant and can be kept communally,although there are no guarantees on it being 100% peaceful. Being usually from high rainfall areas,they are kept on peat at a high humidity,with a false bottom system,humidity and moisture levels will pretty much look after themselves,you'll avoid the balancing act required when keeping some desert species.

Back to top Go down
AndrewLee
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Wood Scorpion   Dwarf Wood Scorpion Empty2/15/2016, 12:17 pm

Thanks Dave! You don't happen to know where I can get some do you?
Back to top Go down
AndrewLee
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Wood Scorpion   Dwarf Wood Scorpion Empty2/15/2016, 12:18 pm

And yes I mean liocheles australasiae.
Back to top Go down
Dave Dunn
Hadogenes
Dave Dunn

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Wood Scorpion   Dwarf Wood Scorpion Empty2/16/2016, 4:28 am

No Idea,I live in australia,here Cercophonius spp are more likely to be called Wood Scorpions Smile
Back to top Go down
Dave Dunn
Hadogenes
Dave Dunn

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Wood Scorpion   Dwarf Wood Scorpion Empty2/16/2016, 4:38 am

Give me a sec while I hop onto my high horse,but stop using common names! They are meaningless to anyone that doesn't live in america,Americans don't automatically get to name things,and spell stuff in the most stupid way possible!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
Dave Dunn
Hadogenes
Dave Dunn

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Wood Scorpion   Dwarf Wood Scorpion Empty2/16/2016, 6:04 am

Sorry,but....
Back to top Go down
AndrewLee
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Wood Scorpion   Dwarf Wood Scorpion Empty2/16/2016, 7:35 am

Haha, thanks Dave. Really appreciate all your help. thanx
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Wood Scorpion   Dwarf Wood Scorpion Empty2/16/2016, 5:06 pm

They're an easy species to keep, but the juveniles are tiny and require very small food. Until they get to their later instars it feels more like you're caring for a few bits of bark and some substrate than a scorpion. Their small size means they disappear into the substrate or cracks in bark.

Care is simple, warm (27c - 30c) and humid, although, I've found they're more tolerant to drier conditions than I thought. However, this could be because of the area mine were collected (a relatively dry site in the Philippines), this may not be the case for the species in general.

Obviously they're parthenogenetic, so if you keep them happy, you'll have a self-sustaining population. Not that they like being in a 'population', at least as juveniles, anyway. Broods that I've kept together have been very cannibalistic during the early instars. As sub-adults/adults, communal living is possible, but not without risk.

If you're in the UK or Europe, I have some for sale.

Last edited by Callum B on 2/16/2016, 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Wood Scorpion   Dwarf Wood Scorpion Empty2/16/2016, 5:10 pm

My post above is about Liocheles australasiae, not ''dwarf wood scorpion''. What even is that?!? Bloody common names......... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Gnat
Centruroides
Gnat

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2009-09-26

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Wood Scorpion   Dwarf Wood Scorpion Empty2/16/2016, 6:33 pm

Dave Dunn wrote:
Give me a sec while I hop onto my high horse,but stop using common names! They are meaningless to anyone that doesn't live in america,Americans don't automatically get to name things,and spell stuff in the most stupid way possible!!! Wink

So Dave, step right back off your high horse sir, I to, believe that using a common name is useless when trying to get valid info on care or availability on a scorpion in the hobby. But then to compare the intelligence of that person to someone who lives in another region is completely asinine. I, myself, live in America and use Latin names when possible to refer to scorpions or other inverts. Your self-righteous attitude in most all of your posts you have made since joining this site has caused me to question your own intelligence. I have been a member of this community for nearly 7 years and am willing to risk a ban. Masturbation is a form of stress relief, so go [does your mother know you talk like that?] yourself and calm down
Back to top Go down
http://www.insectgeeks.com/gnat
AndrewLee
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Wood Scorpion   Dwarf Wood Scorpion Empty2/16/2016, 7:39 pm

Oops! Sorry I didn't mean to start an argument Embarassed . Anyway, I should really put up my location. I live in California and it is too bad that I can't get any from you Callum. But thanks offer!
Back to top Go down
AndrewLee
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Wood Scorpion   Dwarf Wood Scorpion Empty2/16/2016, 7:59 pm

for the offer*
Back to top Go down
AndrewLee
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Wood Scorpion   Dwarf Wood Scorpion Empty2/17/2016, 1:32 am

I will end this thread b/c I kind of gave up on finding liocheles australasiae. I decided to get the babycurus jacksoni. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Dave Dunn
Hadogenes
Dave Dunn

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Wood Scorpion   Dwarf Wood Scorpion Empty2/17/2016, 8:41 am

Sorry,as it says on my profile,my humour is often mis-understood,smiley face or not. Smile I wasn't questioning any individuals intelligence Gnat,merely a tongue in cheek dig at America's habit of dropping 'u' from words,changing 'y' to 'i','s' to 'z' etc,I meant no offence.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Wood Scorpion   Dwarf Wood Scorpion Empty

Back to top Go down

Dwarf Wood Scorpion
Page 1 of 1