The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Pandinus Cavimanus - How much substrate?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ShaunMot
Pandinus
ShaunMot

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2015-10-01

Pandinus Cavimanus - How much substrate? Empty
PostSubject: Pandinus Cavimanus - How much substrate?   Pandinus Cavimanus - How much substrate? Empty10/5/2015, 3:06 pm

Hi everyone, very curious to know how much substrate my pandinus cavimaus would prefer. Read several things about them, not sure if they're burrowers or not. I'm currently on about two inches in the cold end and about an inch and a half for the hot end. At the moment i use soil, not coco fiber. And i moved my heat mat from underneath the tank recently to the side, but it seems a lot colder inside. What temperature is recommended, between 25/30oC, or higher?
Back to top Go down
GitaBooks
Pandinus
GitaBooks

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2015-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Cavimanus - How much substrate?   Pandinus Cavimanus - How much substrate? Empty10/5/2015, 7:04 pm

Is their a hide inside the enclosure? Using a piece of bark or something similar and burying it part way into the soil will make it feel like a den to the animal.
If you want looser, easier to burrow soil you can mix soil with coco fiber. They naturally live underneath things or in shallow burrows.

I'm not an expert on scorpions, but 25-30 c should be good. Too much warmer and it might be dangerous.
Back to top Go down
ShaunMot
Pandinus
ShaunMot

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Cavimanus - How much substrate?   Pandinus Cavimanus - How much substrate? Empty10/5/2015, 11:27 pm

Yes it has a cave which it's in quite often. Do you think the amount of substrate I have in is okay?
Back to top Go down
GitaBooks
Pandinus
GitaBooks

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Cavimanus - How much substrate?   Pandinus Cavimanus - How much substrate? Empty10/5/2015, 11:34 pm

I would think so. But again, I'm no expert. : )
Back to top Go down
ShaunMot
Pandinus
ShaunMot

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Cavimanus - How much substrate?   Pandinus Cavimanus - How much substrate? Empty10/5/2015, 11:57 pm

Okay, thanks for the help, appreciate it!
Back to top Go down
Jester
Pandinus
Jester

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2014-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Cavimanus - How much substrate?   Pandinus Cavimanus - How much substrate? Empty10/16/2015, 5:13 am

Ok, these love to burrow, I see you are in the UK too, I keep mine at about 30 degrees and mist every few days to about 70% mine has about 6 to 8 inches at the back with a central tunnel so she has made this the entrance, the borrow goes down and left and right across the whole back of the viv. I keep it lower at the front as you can see probably 2 to 3 ish inches.

During the summer she is out every night about 21.30 tapping the glass but when it gets cooler she is hidden away, she hasn't been out since beginning of September. I still see the occasional claw down the bottom of the tunnel and I know she is OK, also the crickets keep disappearing so I know she is eating well.

Viv is an exo terra 45 x 45 x 30

Pandinus Cavimanus - How much substrate? 35kiliw
Back to top Go down
GitaBooks
Pandinus
GitaBooks

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Cavimanus - How much substrate?   Pandinus Cavimanus - How much substrate? Empty10/16/2015, 10:59 pm

Nice scorpion. : ) I love the enclosure.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Cavimanus - How much substrate?   Pandinus Cavimanus - How much substrate? Empty

Back to top Go down

Pandinus Cavimanus - How much substrate?
Page 1 of 1