The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
ChatBox

Share | 

Is my p. boreus gravid or just obese and/or premolt.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
NoviceNaturalist
Pandinus

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2015-07-03

PostSubject: Is my p. boreus gravid or just obese and/or premolt.   8/10/2015, 2:12 am

I've had "Sreven" for a few months now and he's always been fat. This picture is from last month and he's only gotten fatter since. I've always suspected he was a she and he seems to be adult size for his species (he's a wild caught, so no idea of his age/history). Could he be pregnant? Or am I just overfeeding him?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoviceNaturalist
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Is my p. boreus gravid or just obese and/or premolt.   8/12/2015, 7:06 pm

*Steven, not Sreven.

I'll try to get a picture. She's really huge right now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scorpion19981000
Administrator

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Is my p. boreus gravid or just obese and/or premolt.   8/19/2015, 11:20 am

I take it you've determined she's a female? If so I think there's a pretty good chance she's gravid.

"Life is a gamble. You can get hurt, but people die in plane crashes, lose their arms and legs in car accidents; people die every day. Same with fighters: some die, some get hurt, some go on. You just donít let yourself believe it will happen to you."
-Muhammad Ali

My Youtube Channel.
My inverts:

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
NoviceNaturalist
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Is my p. boreus gravid or just obese and/or premolt.   8/19/2015, 11:06 pm

I'm fairly certain Steven is female, sadly neither my eyes nor my camera are good enough to get a pectine count, she's just a weeny thing, but I've since caught two other p. boreus (I'm fairly certain they are p. boreus as well, or a similar species) and comparatively, Steven's pectines are smaller, especially compared to this fellow:

behaviorally, I've seen Steven "stilting" over the last few days, sticking tail end high in the air and just sort of stretching it up. I've read that that's a sign of impending birth. Steven's also not eaten in a while, normally pigs out, so I'm hoping that if she is gravid, the babies come soon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is my p. boreus gravid or just obese and/or premolt.   

Back to top Go down

Is my p. boreus gravid or just obese and/or premolt.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1