The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
ChatBox

Share | 

First time going to document.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
XavierRoderno09
Pandinus

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2015-05-15

PostSubject: First time going to document.   5/24/2015, 5:22 pm

I just got my Heterometrus Longimanus 4i yesterday. And based on my research, and the seller that H.Longi's are parthenogenetic. Although some debated that it isn't, normally because there's no proof/Documents of it giving birth parthenogenetically. Based on the pectines and Operculum of my Longi, it's a she. So i'm planning on documenting it until it happens to have a baby without having to mate with a male. Any suggestions or ideas on how to document? Because its going to be my first time and i have no idea. It would be nice if my longimanus would be parthenogenetic. Thanks in advance Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scorpion19981000
Administrator

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: First time going to document.   5/27/2015, 10:56 pm

Well, I rather doubt the species is parthenogenetic. Wink

That being said, you are the first person who has EVER tried to actually document it that I know of, so I give you credit for that.

Here's what I'd do:

First, try to contact a scorpionologist, arachnologist, or entomologist in your area. See if they would help you. If for some reason you can't contact someone, or they are unable or unwilling to assist you, proceed with what's written below.

Record EVERYTHING you know about the scorpion. The age, size, sex, instar, date acquired, if it was captive bred any data from the breeder (date parents were paired, date of birth, dates of molts, etc.), if it was wild caught the location, etc.

Next, take some pictures of the scorpion and its enclosure. If it was captive bred, pictures of the parents should be posted too in order to confirm ID. As far as pictures go, get a good camera and get clear pictures of the scorpion, particularly the pedipalps, carapace, telson, and the pectines and operculum. Again, this is to verify ID and the gender of the scorpion. Please note that Heterometrus are very difficult to correctly identify as juveniles without the aid of a dissecting microscope, and that the sexual dimorphism will be much, much more apparent as an adult.

Record the feeding schedule and the approximate temperature and humidity it will be kept at. Record any changes in these. Record when the scorpion molts and takes pictures when it does so.

When it reaches adulthood record any changes in behavior and any signs of it being gravid. Take pictures.

Do NOT house it with another scorpion, EVER. At least without first confirming the sex of the additional scorpion(s) by posting pictures.

If it DOES give birth, you MUST contact someone qualified to publish the findings. Hand over the mother and ALL her offspring. A formal study will have to be conducted.

If you really can't find any local scientists, figure out a way to send them to one. Hell, if all else fails, send them to me. I know some of the entomology professors at Cornell University and an official study could be conducted with the mother and her offspring.

"Life is a gamble. You can get hurt, but people die in plane crashes, lose their arms and legs in car accidents; people die every day. Same with fighters: some die, some get hurt, some go on. You just donít let yourself believe it will happen to you."
-Muhammad Ali

My Youtube Channel.
My inverts:

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
thegromgrom
Breeder

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2013-03-31

PostSubject: Re: First time going to document.   5/29/2015, 5:44 pm

Scorpion19981000 wrote:
Well, I rather doubt the species is parthenogenetic. Wink

That being said, you are the first person who has EVER tried to actually document it that I know of, so I give you credit for that.

Here's what I'd do:

First, try to contact a scorpionologist, arachnologist, or entomologist in your area. See if they would help you. If for some reason you can't contact someone, or they are unable or unwilling to assist you, proceed with what's written below.

Record EVERYTHING you know about the scorpion. The age, size, sex, instar, date acquired, if it was captive bred any data from the breeder (date parents were paired, date of birth, dates of molts, etc.), if it was wild caught the location, etc.

Next, take some pictures of the scorpion and its enclosure. If it was captive bred, pictures of the parents should be posted too in order to confirm ID. As far as pictures go, get a good camera and get clear pictures of the scorpion, particularly the pedipalps, carapace, telson, and the pectines and operculum. Again, this is to verify ID and the gender of the scorpion. Please note that Heterometrus are very difficult to correctly identify as juveniles without the aid of a dissecting microscope, and that the sexual dimorphism will be much, much more apparent as an adult.

Record the feeding schedule and the approximate temperature and humidity it will be kept at. Record any changes in these. Record when the scorpion molts and takes pictures when it does so.

When it reaches adulthood record any changes in behavior and any signs of it being gravid. Take pictures.

Do NOT house it with another scorpion, EVER. At least without first confirming the sex of the additional scorpion(s) by posting pictures.

If it DOES give birth, you MUST contact someone qualified to publish the findings. Hand over the mother and ALL her offspring. A formal study will have to be conducted.

If you really can't find any local scientists, figure out a way to send them to one. Hell, if all else fails, send them to me. I know some of the entomology professors at Cornell University and an official study could be conducted with the mother and her offspring.

This is amazing advice. I'm seconding this. Smile Good luck OP!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First time going to document.   

Back to top Go down

First time going to document.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1