The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
ChatBox

Share | 

Arizonensis/Pallidus compatibility question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SwammerDumayi
Pandinus

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2014-12-02

PostSubject: Arizonensis/Pallidus compatibility question   12/9/2014, 1:55 pm

Being that H. Pallidus is a morph, can it be bred with a normal Arizonensis? I'm not confident my two normal Arizonensis are of the opposite sex
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Callum B
Administrator

Number of posts : 1094
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Arizonensis/Pallidus compatibility question   12/10/2014, 11:26 am

The two ssp. should be able to mate successfully with each other. However, then you've got a hybrid of sorts. Hybrids are bad Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SwammerDumayi
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Arizonensis/Pallidus compatibility question   12/10/2014, 1:31 pm

Really? How are they bad? Severe health problems? Is it not recommended that I breed the morph with the typical?

Thanks for the help
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Callum B
Administrator

Number of posts : 1094
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Arizonensis/Pallidus compatibility question   12/10/2014, 3:17 pm

No, it's more a matter of opinion. Some people disagree with mixing two species or subspecies because the resulting offspring are neither one or the other. This in itself is not really a problem, it's when these offspring are 'lost' in the hobby and are passed on as sp./ssp., bred with proper sp. etc., then nobody knows what they've really got. Fortunately, this isn't something that has occurred in the scorpion hobby yet, but it is a problem with some reptiles and I think also some tarantula species.

There's also the ethical stance. Why breed two animals that wouldn't under normal circumstances do so in the wild (I don't know if H. arizonensis and H. a. pallidus do interbreed in the wild where their ranges overlap, if they do even overlap).

As you may be able to tell, I'm in the don't create hybrids camp Laughing

Last edited by Callum B on 12/10/2014, 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SwammerDumayi
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Arizonensis/Pallidus compatibility question   12/10/2014, 3:29 pm

Aah I see. I understand the perspective. Creating hybrids isn't really something I ever considered. Or thought about really. An interesting notion though. I can see why it would be tempting to do so but I really don't see any necessity in it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokehound714
Hadogenes

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2013-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Arizonensis/Pallidus compatibility question   3/21/2015, 4:15 pm

Pallidus is not a species. It's a junior synonym, and nothing more than a pallid arizonensis. I have a pallid obscurus I had initially mistaken for an arizonensis. To determine species, one must closely examine the intraocular crescent. All hadrurus species have pale and dark morphs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Arizonensis/Pallidus compatibility question   

Back to top Go down

Arizonensis/Pallidus compatibility question
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1