The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
ChatBox

Share | 

New setup

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
leorin
Pandinus

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2014-07-05

PostSubject: New setup   8/23/2014, 5:27 pm

Just thought I'd share my newly finished Emperor setup with you guys, for no other reason than I'm quite proud of it. Hope you like!

" />
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SmokeThtKush
Pandinus

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2014-08-25

PostSubject: Re: New setup   8/25/2014, 6:50 pm

Awesome setup man. Love the big skull, whered you find that if you dont mind me asking. Oh and the black vine looking things sticking up from the ground, whats that and whered you find it. Awesome job
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scorpion19981000
Administrator

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: New setup   8/27/2014, 8:23 pm

I'd personally recommend more substrate but very nice.

"Life is a gamble. You can get hurt, but people die in plane crashes, lose their arms and legs in car accidents; people die every day. Same with fighters: some die, some get hurt, some go on. You just donít let yourself believe it will happen to you."
-Muhammad Ali

My Youtube Channel.
My inverts:

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
leorin
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: New setup   8/28/2014, 9:39 am

The vine is an Exo-Terra small vine and the skull is a copy of the Exo-Terra primate skull that Pets At Home do.

More substrate? It's about 3" depth on average, some areas deeper, some less. you'd recommend deeper than that?

Not questioning your advice, just wasn't sure it was clear in the pic as the tank has an edge round the base.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
leorin
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: New setup   8/28/2014, 9:58 am

Also, if i may dip into anyones expertise, the thermometer (as you can see in the picture) is smack in the middle and often drops as low as 20 degrees when the light is off at night. I have two heat mats on the left hand side and since the picture was taken i have fitted another at ground height on the right hand side of the tank. During the day when the light is on (an exo-terra 2.0 24cm tube) it gets up to high twenties.

Now I'm taking it from comments I've read on here that mats don't give out much heat so is it fair to say that the edges of the set up will be warmer than the centre and i'm reading my thermometer at the lowest temperature spot?
They spend most of their time in the two hollows I created under the moss with two halves of compressed peat seed pots. I would have assumed that if it were too cold they'd spend more time at the edges in the warmth, yet they seem to be in these hollows every morning when I get up.

Any advice or recommendations from you more experienced guys?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SmokeThtKush
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: New setup   8/28/2014, 10:09 am

I would reccomend an infrared heat lamp, they put off a soft red light but lots of heat, doesnt bother me while i sleep. If you sre trying to heat it without visible light i would say go with a cerramic heat emitter. Emps do require some heat, and 20 degrees celsius is pretty cold. They most likely go to those hides because thats the easy thing to do and theres not many other options. Hope this helps
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scorpion19981000
Administrator

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: New setup   8/28/2014, 10:40 am

3 inches of substrate is OK, however 4-6 inches to allow for burrowing is recommend. However, as long as you have enough hiding spots (which you do) they'll be fine.

Also, I encourage you to get a digital thermometer. Dial thermometers are notorious for their widely inaccurate readings.

"Life is a gamble. You can get hurt, but people die in plane crashes, lose their arms and legs in car accidents; people die every day. Same with fighters: some die, some get hurt, some go on. You just donít let yourself believe it will happen to you."
-Muhammad Ali

My Youtube Channel.
My inverts:

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD

Number of posts : 833
Registration date : 2013-01-15

PostSubject: Re: New setup   8/28/2014, 12:22 pm

leorin wrote:
Also, if i may dip into anyones expertise, the thermometer (as you can see in the picture) is smack in the middle and often drops as low as 20 degrees when the light is off at night. I have two heat mats on the left hand side and since the picture was taken i have fitted another at ground height on the right hand side of the tank. During the day when the light is on (an exo-terra 2.0 24cm tube) it gets up to high twenties.

Now I'm taking it from comments I've read on here that mats don't give out much heat so is it fair to say that the edges of the set up will be warmer than the centre and i'm reading my thermometer at the lowest temperature spot?
They spend most of their time in the two hollows I created under the moss with two halves of compressed peat seed pots. I would have assumed that if it were too cold they'd spend more time at the edges in the warmth, yet they seem to be in these hollows every morning when I get up.

Any advice or recommendations from you more experienced guys?

Well for one, you're using a cheapo analog thermometer. They lose their calibration pretty easily and don't give accurate readings. If you drop them, they go out of whack. Go with what Scorpion19981000 said, get a digital hygro/thermometer. Look up "cigar humidor hygrometers" on amazon. Secondly, mats are pretty expensive but they do in fact get the job done. Which is why I have flexwatt heat tape! Check out ABDragons, they have flexwatt for a good price, but the only downside is that you have to wire it yourself or ask someone to do it for you.

SmokeThtKush wrote:
I would reccomend an infrared heat lamp, they put off a soft red light but lots of heat, doesnt bother me while i sleep. If you sre trying to heat it without visible light i would say go with a cerramic heat emitter. Emps do require some heat, and 20 degrees celsius is pretty cold. They most likely go to those hides because thats the easy thing to do and theres not many other options. Hope this helps

I wouldn't. For the longest time I had a 60 watt red bulb on top of my tank and I would constantly have to add moisture. But then, I changed it up a bit. I cove my tanks with foil and stick flexwatt down the sides. Then I'll get readings like 90% and 90 degrees F. Read this thread from a while ago. I don't want to have to type up all that info.

My collection:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
SmokeThtKush
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: New setup   8/28/2014, 12:56 pm

Makes sense that the heat lamp would cause the humidity to drop, probably explains why i have to constantly mist the enclosure. Ive been thinking of trying a false bottom out, may have to do that and see how it works.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus

Number of posts : 1106
Registration date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: New setup   8/29/2014, 10:00 am

What are those black twining thingies?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SmokeThtKush
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: New setup   8/29/2014, 10:08 am

Exo terra vines they come in different sizes. He says he has the small ones. I found them at petsmart yesterday when i went looking for more decor for my scorp.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
leorin
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: New setup   9/3/2014, 5:17 am

Thanks again for all help and advice. I'm waiting for some money coming through that I'll be buying my Desert Hairy set up with so will include a digital thermo/hygro meter with that shopping list.

Are they suitable to test different areas of an enclosure or do they need to be left in place? I'm guessing from things I've read that one meter is suitable for multiple tanks, but I'm just guessing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New setup   

Back to top Go down

New setup
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1