The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

too much space?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ghostjim89
Pandinus

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2014-08-10

too much space?  Empty
PostSubject: too much space?    too much space?  Empty8/19/2014, 2:59 am

hey guys, i've got 4, 6 month old heterometrus (?) in a decent size tank but i'm wondering if there is too much space for them to find food. While I understand most of there movement will be at night, after i put 1-2 crickets each in there for them after 24 hours it only looks like they've eaten 1 or 2 total of them and the rest of the crickets are sat at the other end of the cage. I suppose my question is, if all my scorps like to sit under the same hide right in one corner would it be wise to move them all to a smaller container to give them better chance of coming across the food i put in? I've been told by the people i got them from they have about 3-4 weeks before they should be expected to shed again and ive got the temps and humidity right as far as i know and the scorps rarely are seen at the other end of the enclosure. I'm new to all this so I may be over thinking things but i would like to get it right, thanks in advance Smile
Back to top Go down
Den
Babycurus
Den

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2011-10-27

too much space?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: too much space?    too much space?  Empty8/19/2014, 5:28 am

A decent sized tank could mean anything and are they all under one hide because the other available hides don't offer the same protection/warmth/humidity or because the other end of the enclosure is occupied by crickets!.
Those kinds of descriptions are next to useless unless you provide a decent picture.
Yes, all scorpions are nocturnal although in quiet shaded conditions where the scorps have had time to acclimatise and settle in it's not unusual to see some species laying around during daylight.
The uneaten crickets are a good indicator that either:
#1 The seller is correct and they are close to moult. Scorpions don't feed up to and after a moult. Crickets are a scorpions worse enemy at this time as a newly moulted scorpion is totally defenceless. Crickets, if left in with freshly moulted scorpions can damage/kill them. Crickets can also disrupt a scorpion in the moulting process by crawling over it...This usually also leads to damage/death.
#2 The scorpions are not hungry.
#3 The scorpions are stressed because of incorrect environmental factors/handling/bassy music/human traffic/persistent prey or anything that might cause vibrations on a regular basis. The persistent prey is uneaten prey that is allowed to remain in the enclosure. In the wild that prey item would be out of there if it could. In captivity it's constant presence just stresses the scorpions.

Solution to all points.......Remove the crickets if they are not eaten...as a rule of thumb all prey items should be removed if they are not eaten within 24 hours, Your scorps are light years ahead of you at detecting fluctuations in local air currents..they know when prey is in their enclosure. If it's still there 24 hrs later it's not because the scorpion didn't know about it!
And....provide a picture if you want help with your enclosure although scorpions are not retards. They can and do catch food if they are hungry and food is available. Having a "decent" sized enclosure just means you can give yourself more eye candy and your scorps more variation.
Back to top Go down
lazydonut
Hadogenes
lazydonut

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2014-03-18

too much space?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: too much space?    too much space?  Empty8/21/2014, 1:03 am

Den wrote:
A decent sized tank could mean anything and are they all under one hide because the other available hides don't offer the same protection/warmth/humidity or because the other end of the enclosure is occupied by crickets!.
Those kinds of descriptions are next to useless unless you provide a decent picture.
Yes, all scorpions are nocturnal although in quiet shaded conditions where the scorps have had time to acclimatise and settle in it's not unusual to see some species laying around during daylight.
The uneaten crickets are a good indicator that either:
#1 The seller is correct and they are close to moult. Scorpions don't feed up to and after a moult. Crickets are a scorpions worse enemy at this time as a newly moulted scorpion is totally defenceless. Crickets, if left in with freshly moulted scorpions can damage/kill them. Crickets can also disrupt a scorpion in the moulting process by crawling over it...This usually also leads to damage/death.
#2 The scorpions are not hungry.
#3 The scorpions are stressed because of incorrect environmental factors/handling/bassy music/human traffic/persistent prey or anything that might cause vibrations on a regular basis. The persistent prey is uneaten prey that is allowed to remain in the enclosure. In the wild that prey item would be out of there if it could. In captivity it's constant presence just stresses the scorpions.

Solution to all points.......Remove the crickets if they are not eaten...as a rule of thumb all prey items should be removed if they are not eaten within 24 hours, Your scorps are light years ahead of you at detecting fluctuations in local air currents..they know when prey is in their enclosure. If it's still there 24 hrs later it's not because the scorpion didn't know about it!
And....provide a picture if you want help with your enclosure although scorpions are not retards. They can and do catch food if they are hungry and food is available. Having a "decent" sized enclosure just means you can give yourself more eye candy and your scorps more variation.
+1

Just tell us how much volume there is up front so we'd know what to advise you.
Otherwise it's rather silly to ask us if you're keeping your pet in too large a space if we dont know how much space there actually is.
different scorpions require different amounts of space.

And watch out for premolt signs. crickets are dangerous devils.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

too much space?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: too much space?    too much space?  Empty

Back to top Go down

too much space?
Page 1 of 1