The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Set-up for Orthochirus innesi

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
pannaking22
Pandinus

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2014-08-04

Set-up for Orthochirus innesi Empty
PostSubject: Set-up for Orthochirus innesi   Set-up for Orthochirus innesi Empty8/4/2014, 11:56 pm

Getting a 1.1 pair of these in the somewhat near future and I was wondering the best way to heat the enclosure? They like it around 90+ F during the day (I think anyway since they are a desert species) and I will be keeping the pair in a 2.5 gallon glass enclosure, with the goal of one side being nice and toasty with the other being cooler. Hides of some sort will be placed at both ends of the temp spectrum. I'll likely use a nice sand/excavator clay mix once I get the clay. Would a heat mat on the side work for achieving this temp, or would an IR bulb be better?

On a side note, I will also have some subadult R. junceus and a couple of what I believe are C. hentzi (one extremely gravid). Would using the IR bulb for the O. innesi kick off enough ambient heat that those will be more comfortable, or should I purchase extra heat mats or bulbs for them as well?

Thank you for any thoughts!
Back to top Go down
lazydonut
Hadogenes
lazydonut

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2014-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Set-up for Orthochirus innesi   Set-up for Orthochirus innesi Empty8/5/2014, 2:46 am

Since it would be a small tank, I think the IR bulb would be sufficient, how many watts is it anyway? Make sure it isnt too much to toast em.
Back to top Go down
pannaking22
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Set-up for Orthochirus innesi   Set-up for Orthochirus innesi Empty8/5/2014, 9:12 am

That's what one of my main concerns was with the bulbs. What wattage would you recommend? I forgot to put that in my original post so thanks for bringing it up Smile
Back to top Go down
lazydonut
Hadogenes
lazydonut

PostSubject: Re: Set-up for Orthochirus innesi   Set-up for Orthochirus innesi Empty8/5/2014, 12:28 pm

I would personally prefer the lowest available, I see 50 watts but I've heard some go lower.
But honestly I dont know the better between ceramic heaters and IR bulbs.
Back to top Go down
pannaking22
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Set-up for Orthochirus innesi   Set-up for Orthochirus innesi Empty8/5/2014, 10:09 pm

I would think the lowest would heat up such a small enclosure pretty well, but I'm not sure how hot the lower ones will get. I was thinking of starting low and working my up if need be. I'm not sure about the ceramic bulbs either, though it have given them some thought.
Back to top Go down
pannaking22
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Set-up for Orthochirus innesi   Set-up for Orthochirus innesi Empty8/5/2014, 10:10 pm

I think I'll check around on some of the herp forums and see if they have some info on how hot these bulbs/heaters can make it. Hopefully there will be some answers there.
Back to top Go down
lazydonut
Hadogenes
lazydonut

PostSubject: Re: Set-up for Orthochirus innesi   Set-up for Orthochirus innesi Empty8/6/2014, 1:55 am

I checked the exo terra website, and depending on the distance from the actual bulb, temps would be 100 degrees within 4 inches, 81 degrees within 8.
Here http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/infrared_basking_spot_heating.php
Back to top Go down
pannaking22
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Set-up for Orthochirus innesi   Set-up for Orthochirus innesi Empty8/6/2014, 10:20 am

Great info, thanks for finding that! So I would really only need to put it about 6 inches away to get temps of around 90.
Back to top Go down
lazydonut
Hadogenes
lazydonut

PostSubject: Re: Set-up for Orthochirus innesi   Set-up for Orthochirus innesi Empty8/6/2014, 10:55 am

Haha no problem. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Set-up for Orthochirus innesi   Set-up for Orthochirus innesi Empty

Back to top Go down

Set-up for Orthochirus innesi
Page 1 of 1