The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Why do my emps always choose the same hide?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
omgwtfbbq
Pandinus
omgwtfbbq

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2014-01-19

Why do my emps always choose the same hide? Empty
PostSubject: Why do my emps always choose the same hide?   Why do my emps always choose the same hide? Empty3/7/2014, 3:26 pm

I have two emps, both juvenile, who seem to always choose to stay together. They have been together since before I got them (they were in a small plastic box together with almost no substrate at the petstore). When they first settled into their terrarium, they both chose to be in a cave I bought for them, even though they had multiple options for different hiding spots. They dug a burrow all the way to the bottom of the terrarium, and I could hear one of them slamming its pedipalps towards the glass in order to dig. So I decided to put more substrate in, so when they got out, I took them out and rearranged a bit in order put more substrate in. After I was done, it was almost as before only with more substrate. I then put back the scorps one at a time, and saw the first one crawl behind the cave and dig a burrow. As i put in the second emp, I saw it walk determined straight down the other's new burrow. They've been together there since, and I'm not too worried about them getting into a fight, they appear to like each other. I'm just curious how come they always choose the same hide. I know they are communial, but this surprised me, especially since I've read it is very important to have multiple hides in a communial setup. I guess i didn't know communial meant communial.

Do your emps persistently stay together, or do they like being solo?
Back to top Go down
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

Number of posts : 1106
Registration date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Why do my emps always choose the same hide?   Why do my emps always choose the same hide? Empty3/8/2014, 2:56 am

Sometimes scorpions prefer a single hide and stay there for the rest of their life and some change hiding spots everyday. Some species in the wild are able to return to their favorite hiding spot even if you take them away by a few meters. As for hides, some normally tolerate each other especially if that is the only comfortable hide available.

Last edited by Tongue Flicker on 3/8/2014, 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
omgwtfbbq
Pandinus
omgwtfbbq

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2014-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Why do my emps always choose the same hide?   Why do my emps always choose the same hide? Empty3/8/2014, 8:16 am

Impressive. Scorpions are fascinating.
Back to top Go down
ewaciega2
Pandinus
ewaciega2

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2013-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Why do my emps always choose the same hide?   Why do my emps always choose the same hide? Empty4/28/2014, 2:34 pm

Mine seems to do this as well. I experimented with adjusting the temperature on the side that she was hiding and she didn't seem to care. Must just be one of those strange things they do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why do my emps always choose the same hide?   Why do my emps always choose the same hide? Empty

Back to top Go down

Why do my emps always choose the same hide?
Page 1 of 1