The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Sling dilemma

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

Number of posts : 1106
Registration date : 2012-11-01

Sling dilemma Empty
PostSubject: Sling dilemma   Sling dilemma Empty2/27/2014, 9:01 pm

I have this one 3i HH sling who has been in 3rd instar for more than 5 months now. It is feeding well and conditions are pretty much the same here all year. Been misting weekly to promote a pre-molt condition. This is not normal since her siblings are at 6th instar now.

I just hope she molts soon grr >_<
Back to top Go down
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

Sling dilemma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sling dilemma   Sling dilemma Empty3/2/2014, 3:04 am

Have you tried increasing the temp a little bit? Should speed up her metabolism and therefore growth rate.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

Sling dilemma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sling dilemma   Sling dilemma Empty3/2/2014, 9:01 am

It's summer season here now and our highest temp today reached 86F (30 degrees Celsius) just past noon. Should i take it outside during the day?
Back to top Go down
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

Sling dilemma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sling dilemma   Sling dilemma Empty3/2/2014, 11:03 am

I wouldn't do that. Moving it outside daily would likely cause unnecessary stress. Perhaps just adding another heat source or even something as simple as moving the enclosure to a warmer part of your house.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Den
Babycurus
Den

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2011-10-27

Sling dilemma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sling dilemma   Sling dilemma Empty3/2/2014, 12:11 pm

Scorps that are long overdue a moult compared to their siblings seems to be a relatively common occurrence.
I've posted before my thoughts and speculations about why this may happen but as with just about everything else scorpion, it's just guesses...nothing tangible or concrete.
So we don't know for sure why some scorps seem to experience a kind of arrested development, just that some do.
I've had scorps that have gone into a state of arrested development that have eventually died rather than moult...similarly, i've had scorps moult months after i expected them to moult only to die shortly after...Other times i've had scorps go into arrested development (i don't know if you can call it arrested development but that's just what i call it in want of a better description) for 3-6 months, moult and then moult again within a very short amount of time.
Sometimes i feel the problem is environmental, sometimes physiological.....you should also know that all scorps, even clones or siblings are individual creatures that react individually to stimuli. Some have a robust disposition, others not so much, some will eat 20 crickets before moulting, others may make due with 10 or need 30...some will show themselves confidently despite disturbances, others will hide...They are not identical biological machines so it would be surprising if they did all moult on que or preformed the same movements when subjected to the same stimuli..

My advice to you would be to ensure environmental factors are met and then leave it well alone.....I suspect stress is the cause of many scorpion problems and stress comes in many different guises....it can come from bassy music, footsteps, doors opening and closing, traffic driving by your house, in fact any kind of movement that creates vibrations that will be detectable to the scorpion....and a scorps ability at detecting vibrations is light years ahead of yours so don't underestimate the possible stressful relationships of seemingly innocent and inconspicuous sounds and vibrations in relation to scorpions.

I'm not saying this may be your scorps problem but if you meet it's environmental requirements plus as near as dammit eliminate all stressful factors within your power then you've done everything you can do....The rest will be up to the scorpion.
Back to top Go down
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

Sling dilemma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sling dilemma   Sling dilemma Empty3/19/2014, 1:22 am

Yey it finally molted to 4th instar at last. What a latebloomer -__-
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sling dilemma Empty