The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Question about Enclosure (sorry if this is in the wrong spot)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
notatallman
Pandinus
notatallman

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-06-20

Question about Enclosure (sorry if this is in the wrong spot) Empty
PostSubject: Question about Enclosure (sorry if this is in the wrong spot)   Question about Enclosure (sorry if this is in the wrong spot) Empty6/29/2008, 4:30 pm

All righty, it seems I've gotten myself into a dilemma here.

So a few of you saw my question about whether I should keep the scorpion and millipede I plan on getting in the same enclosure or not. You all said I shouldn't, so I will keep them apart. However, I decided that instead of getting two cages, I would get one and put a glass divider down the middle. Here where my problem is: I'm seriously worried that the spaces I made for my buggies are too small. I used a 10 gallon enclosure, and both sides are roughly 10in x 10in. I made the "floors" slanted to provide more walking room, although a significant amount is taken up by the hideaways I put in.

If you want/need, I can post pictures. Thanks a lot!
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Question about Enclosure (sorry if this is in the wrong spot)   Question about Enclosure (sorry if this is in the wrong spot) Empty6/29/2008, 5:01 pm

posting pictures would be good.
But...for animal comfort the more room to move the better. I have one pandinus cavimanus in about a 10 gallon tank and a pandinus imperator in about a 12 gallon tank *she was before with a male*
Im glad they have that much roaming room to be honest.

Obviously space is an issue but if you are only making the one buy and starting then surely a nice tank for each would be better?
what I mean is people with LOADS surely save on space and get smaller enclosues but ive always been someone who no matter the space, allows them more then enough room!

If it was me, I would just have TWO tanks instead of one tank split. if you cant afford 2 tanks then dont buy two animals. have the one and when with more cash buy another tank and the other animal.

Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
notatallman
Pandinus
notatallman

PostSubject: Re: Question about Enclosure (sorry if this is in the wrong spot)   Question about Enclosure (sorry if this is in the wrong spot) Empty6/29/2008, 5:07 pm

That's probably a good idea. I hate having to remove the divider, as putting it in was a PAIN, but if I have to, I will. I want my animal(s) to be happy after all.

Here's one shot of the millipede's side:
Question about Enclosure (sorry if this is in the wrong spot) 100_0426

The pink thing is my collapsible ruler Razz

And the scorpions side:
Question about Enclosure (sorry if this is in the wrong spot) 100_0428

The water bottles are for the false bottom.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Question about Enclosure (sorry if this is in the wrong spot)   Question about Enclosure (sorry if this is in the wrong spot) Empty6/29/2008, 5:12 pm

no. I wouldnt be happy if one of my grrls only had that much space.
Also. does your divider go all the way down and a false bottom set up for each...if not...scorpion could dig under...
its happened before for other keepers of scorpions with dividers.

but again what I think and say doesnt matter because if you want to do it then we cant stop you Surprised

But personally. I would have two pandinus imperators in the 10 gallon tank
Back to top Go down
notatallman
Pandinus
notatallman

PostSubject: Re: Question about Enclosure (sorry if this is in the wrong spot)   Question about Enclosure (sorry if this is in the wrong spot) Empty6/29/2008, 5:17 pm

Yes, the glass goes all the way to the bottom of the cage. I thought of the same thing you did. Smile

To be perfectly honest, I'm more worried about the millipede since they are long and probably need a lot of space. But yeah, the scorp would probably be cramped in there...so I suppose I'll get to removing the glass and only buying one animal to start with.

While they would probably both be ok now, I still feel funny keeping them in enclosures that small. Removing the glass will be a massive pain, but at least I won't feel guilty.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Question about Enclosure (sorry if this is in the wrong spot)   Question about Enclosure (sorry if this is in the wrong spot) Empty6/29/2008, 5:22 pm

Im glad I was able to help.

Im sure the millipede will be around for you to buy in a few months or so.
Its best to focus on working and learning one animals at a time at the start of the hobby.
I began with two pandinus imperators and now I have 18 scorplings *well 3I moulting to 4I* a pandinus cavimanus and a Iomachus politus.

best to take it one step at a time instead of moving too fast. better to be slow and steady then to rush things and find mistakes

Back to top Go down
notatallman
Pandinus
notatallman

PostSubject: Re: Question about Enclosure (sorry if this is in the wrong spot)   Question about Enclosure (sorry if this is in the wrong spot) Empty6/29/2008, 5:24 pm

Yeah, good point. I just get excited sometimes. I can't help it Razz I'm sure I'll enjoy this though.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Question about Enclosure (sorry if this is in the wrong spot)   Question about Enclosure (sorry if this is in the wrong spot) Empty6/29/2008, 5:39 pm

you will. its a lovely journey, learning more each day. but taking your time Smile
when you feel more confident with your pandinus im sure you will feel comfortable to move onto heterometrus Smile <--thats my next buy, possibly a longimanus *SQUEE*

Enjoy the hobby
Back to top Go down
notatallman
Pandinus
notatallman

PostSubject: Re: Question about Enclosure (sorry if this is in the wrong spot)   Question about Enclosure (sorry if this is in the wrong spot) Empty6/29/2008, 5:40 pm

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: Question about Enclosure (sorry if this is in the wrong spot)   Question about Enclosure (sorry if this is in the wrong spot) Empty6/30/2008, 10:31 am

5 gallons per scorpion actually isn't all that bad. That's the recommended minimum, actually. Keep in mind that in the wild these creatures seldom wander far from their burrow -- they don't really require a lot of space because they simply don't use it.

As for the millipede, they do tend to wander a bit more, and it's usually recommended to have a tank that's about 1 body length x 2 body lengths.

If you get another scorpion, for sure upgrade to a larger tank.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question about Enclosure (sorry if this is in the wrong spot)   Question about Enclosure (sorry if this is in the wrong spot) Empty

Back to top Go down

Question about Enclosure (sorry if this is in the wrong spot)
Page 1 of 1