The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
ChatBox

Share | 

Hibernation of Hadrurus arizonensis

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
orion_rmw
Pandinus

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2013-09-30

PostSubject: Hibernation of Hadrurus arizonensis   11/7/2013, 12:28 pm

I have only had this scorpion for a short while. I recently changed her substrate to a mix of sand and excavator clay so she could could burrow. She has dug a chamber to the bottom of her enclosure and sealed it up at the surface. I can still see her moving about a bit. Enclosure is room temp (around 70 degrees or so). I also recently added a stick-on heat mat to the side. My question is, is this normal behavior for a Hadrurus or did her burrow potentially collapse? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
headbang
Back to top Go down
View user profile
robert44
Tityus

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2012-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Hibernation of Hadrurus arizonensis   11/7/2013, 1:21 pm

I second the question. Sometimes some of my scorps will burrow and the substrate will collapse. I have usually "rescued" them when this happens but I wonder if that is needed? Can they get enough air and dig themselves out?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shebeen
Tityus

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Hibernation of Hadrurus arizonensis   11/8/2013, 9:27 am

My Haddy goes into hibernation every winter (in arthropods, it's called as diapause rather than hibernation). Around December, she blocks off the main entrances to her burrow and stays underground until June. During this time, she doesn't eat or drink or venture to the surface. This behavior is common for H. arizonensis and nothing to be alarmed about.

@robert44 You don't need to "rescue" your scorp. They are quite capable of digging themselves out of a collapsed burrow. Also, their air requirements are very low so there's little chance of suffocation.

If your substrate is collapsing, it doesn't have enough clay content to act as a binder. I use a 20/80 mix of Excavator Clay/play sand for substrate and it holds burrows quite well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
robert44
Tityus

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2012-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Hibernation of Hadrurus arizonensis   11/8/2013, 9:34 am

Thanks shebeen that's what I thought but I just wanted to be safe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
orion_rmw
Pandinus

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2013-09-30

PostSubject: Re: Hibernation of Hadrurus arizonensis   11/8/2013, 10:53 am

Thanks shebeen. Would you suggest unplugging the heat pad as well? As a side note, I've found her to be easier to maintain than my emp (no humidity issues to deal with). May look at a bigger enclosure for her in the spring.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shebeen
Tityus

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Hibernation of Hadrurus arizonensis   11/9/2013, 10:33 am

I don't heat my Haddy enclosure during the winter. I keep it at room temperature which for my house is around 72F during the day, down to 64F at night. Winter temperatures in their native habitat get much colder. In May, I start using the heat lamp again.

My next enclosure will be a 10 gallon tank (I'm currently using a 12x12x12 Exo-Terra). Although it will be extremely heavy, the tunneling activity it should support will be worth it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hibernation of Hadrurus arizonensis   

Back to top Go down

Hibernation of Hadrurus arizonensis
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1