The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

New Enclosure Project

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Ramenuzumaki
Centruroides
Ramenuzumaki

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2010-10-07

New Enclosure Project Empty
PostSubject: New Enclosure Project   New Enclosure Project Empty11/1/2013, 4:58 pm

So, I'm thinking of getting some more scorpions--P.Imperator--and I have this awesome tank now that I want to use to make something awesome. It's a 55gal long aquarium. I used to use it for my turtle.

Now one of my big questions is: How many of those coco fibre (It says plantation soil on it) bricks do you think I'll need?
(This picture is from my old enclosure project)

Picture 1
Spoiler:

Here is a picture of the tank. The lamps on the tank are for the turtle. Not sure if I'll need them though. If you think I will let me know, and I'll keep them around.

Picture 2
Spoiler:

The fan also has nothing to do with the set up. I use the bottom of the stand for storage to get stuff out of the way, haha.

I also have some coco husk left over from my last project I'll probably use. It's already been hydrated, and is ready for use. If you think I should toss it, and buy new let me know. I'm not sure if I was supposed to toss the rest, or if it was safe to keep. Again picture is from my last project. I don't have that thermometre anymore.

Picture 3
Spoiler:

I do still have aquarium gravel from my old false bottom, but I'm sure I don't have enough. I took them from my old 20gal tank, and I think I barely had enough for my 30gal aquarium set up I did before. I'm also going to buy some more forest moss for decoration.

If you have any other advice let me know! I really want this to look awesome. :3

Once I have everything, and it's set up I'm probably going to find a way to get 2 P.Imperator. Preferably young ones--I like to watch things grow Very Happy--and put them inside here.

Before I did like a mountain on one side of the enclosure, so it wasn't boring, and flat, haha. Not sure what I'll do this time.

Here's a link to my first enclosure project.
http://www.scorpion-forum.com/t8379-new-enclosure-project
Back to top Go down
http://ramenuzumaki.deviantart.com
robert44
Tityus

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2012-08-25

PostSubject: Re: New Enclosure Project   New Enclosure Project Empty11/2/2013, 9:05 am

Awesome tank! You should be able to make a really cool enclosure! I'm not sure how many coco fiber bricks you will need. See the FAQs in the emp section but you will probably want at the minimum about 4 inches of substrate. 6" would be better.

If the last substrate looks clean you can probably reuse it. You might bake it in the oven at about 225 degrees F (above boiling temp) to make sure nothing harmful is in there.

You could put more than two emps in that large tank. At 5 gallons per emp, you could put at least 11 in there if you wished!

Definitely keep the IR heat lamps. (Again see the FAQs for correct temps). Do NOT use any type of UV reptile light.
Back to top Go down
Ramenuzumaki
Centruroides
Ramenuzumaki

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2010-10-07

PostSubject: Re: New Enclosure Project   New Enclosure Project Empty11/2/2013, 7:02 pm

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I knew how deep it has to be, I was just wondering if anyone knew how many bricks I'd need. I think I used 6 bricks for my 30gal standard tank. This is a 55 gal long. I could take measurements later today.

As far as the substrate I just have Coco Husks. It looks like chunks of a coconut shell. It was never in a tank. It was extra left over that I put in a plastic bag and tied the top of it. I think I still have it here somewhere.
Back to top Go down
http://ramenuzumaki.deviantart.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Enclosure Project   New Enclosure Project Empty

Back to top Go down

New Enclosure Project
Page 1 of 1