The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

LQ Communal Question

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
robert44
Tityus

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2012-08-25

LQ Communal Question Empty
PostSubject: LQ Communal Question   LQ Communal Question Empty10/19/2013, 10:57 pm

I have one small male LQ.  I have had him a couple of years and he has yet to molt.  The guy I got him from raised him from birth and thought he was 6th instar.  He has lived alone all his life.  Today I just picked up two more LQs.  They are both a little larger than he is.

I have read that LQs can be kept communally if they are adults.  Does this mean if they are totally finished with molting?  I would like to keep these guys communally but I'm not sure if they have molts yet to come.  Wiki states that the size of LQs is from  30–77 mm (1.2–3.0 in) long, with an average of 58 mm (2.3 in).  All three of mine fall within that range. In your experience, what is the length of a mature LQ?

If I do keep them communally, I was thinking about putting them in a large Critter Keeper.  The floor space is 14.5 inches X 9.75 inches (37cm X 25cm).  Does this sound large enough?  Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Den
Babycurus
Den

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2011-10-27

PostSubject: Re: LQ Communal Question   LQ Communal Question Empty10/20/2013, 6:52 am

Yes, when adult they won't moult anymore .. If you've had your male for 2 years and he hasn't moulted in that time and the 2 you have just brought are larger than him then that sounds to me as if they should all be adult. Can you post some clear close pictures of them?
If the 2 larger scorps are females i'd set them up in each their enclosure and just let the male cohabit with one of them, or (more likely), i'd let him have a bit of quality time with them both now and again..........In my opinion though, a communal setup consisting of 2 females and 1 male is just asking for trouble....you could quite easily lose one of the females or your male....A more common 1.1 or 2.1 setup though is usually much less problematic.....The groundplan size of your proposed enclosure sounds just about right......although.......LQ's will burrow if given the correct conditions so if you'd like to let your's burrow you'll also want room in that enclosure for a 5 to 7 inch depth of consolidated sand with that bringing the surface of the substrate to close to the top of the enclosure.
You can read all over the place that they should be kept on sand with stone/dry grass/dry detritus furniture but if given the chance to burrow they will do so. If just kept on sand all they will be able to do is dig scrapes under surface objects but if given the preference, as in an enclosure with half sand, half consolidated sand with depth.....then yeps, you'll always find they'll rather live in a burrow than under a stone.
Keep them between 85-92F with a drop down to 75-80F at night and no water bottle. These guys will get all their moisture from the prey they catch so no need to dampen corners either...A very occasional fine misting representing a rare morning dew (not to many of them throughout their distribution range!) might be ok though.

Here's a couple of pics..The first showing an adult male L.q hebreus....These are very slightly smaller than normal Lq's so bear that in mind when comparing yours to it....The point though, this one is adult..7 instar.

LQ Communal Question Lqhm10

And here's a pic of an old lq setup.....The scorps (1.1) dug a burrow down through the consolidated side and spent most of their time in that. At night time they are all over the place but never once were they found hiding under the stone on the loose sand.

LQ Communal Question Lqhh10
Back to top Go down
robert44
Tityus

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2012-08-25

PostSubject: Re: LQ Communal Question   LQ Communal Question Empty10/20/2013, 8:24 am

Thanks for the info Den!  I'll see if I can get some good photos up and make sure of the sex of these guys before putting them together.  I wasn't aware that the ratio of male/female would matter.

My 1st guy is on loose sand.  He is weird, he almost never uses hides.  I have experimented with different types of hides in his enclosure but he just lays about his cage even during the day.  Maybe he would like a burrow!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LQ Communal Question   LQ Communal Question Empty

Back to top Go down

LQ Communal Question
Page 1 of 1