The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
ChatBox

Share | 

Isreal Gold Scorpions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bamboo
Pandinus

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2013-08-17

PostSubject: Isreal Gold Scorpions   9/25/2013, 12:16 pm

I was thinking about getting a few Isreal Gold Scorpions. I'm reading conflicting husbandry care about them and the websites all say, they die pretty quickly ..not lasting too long in captive conditions. Anyone have experiences with these ?
Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Den
Babycurus

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2011-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Isreal Gold Scorpions   9/25/2013, 2:02 pm

The reason they don't last that long is usually because they are captured in as adults and the species isn't that long lived....There's no telling how long they have been adult when caught so it's a bit of a lottery buying them.
I had a couple of pairs that i rather naively thought i would mate and get young from years ago. They all died within a relatively short time and i didn't bother with them again.
They seemed easy enough to care for as long as you kept the temps in the high 20's low 30's with no water bowl and a very occasional misting. Substrate was sand with a handful of dry earth mixed with it. Furniture was stone, bark and dried grasses.
They spent most of their time under stones and bark where they usually scraped out a smallish burrow. I didn't have them on consolidated sand so i don't know if they'll dig burrows but i suspect they might.
Since having them i've heard many stories describing how difficult it is to get them to moult and give birth in captivity although i suspect the problem is similar to H. arizonensis insomuch that creating an environment that has the correct humidity gradient over extended periods of time can be a challenge......This is the main reason you don't see captive bred young animals for sale.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Isreal Gold Scorpions
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1