The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
ChatBox

Share | 

Around the spiracles...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
VampireHunterC
Pandinus

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-09-11

PostSubject: Around the spiracles...   9/11/2013, 5:09 pm

Is this a mite infestation?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gnat
Centruroides

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2009-09-26

PostSubject: Re: Around the spiracles...   9/12/2013, 1:23 am

yea, I'd say pretty bad
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.insectgeeks.com/gnat
VampireHunterC
Pandinus

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Around the spiracles...   9/12/2013, 2:19 am

Well, I feel kind of dumb for not knowing if it's that obvious, but I looked all over for pictures of mites and couldn't find any examples of ones this small...

Thanks for confirming it.

So, I have new substrate for them (they are not on it yet), but how do I remove all of the mites from the scorps? These things(mites) are tiny and even though they're cb they've never been handled.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Den
Babycurus

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2011-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Around the spiracles...   9/15/2013, 3:28 am

With larger scorpion's you can always try a cut down horse hair paint brush with a dab of Vaseline on it and to be honest, i'd give that a go on smaller scorps to after a cool period in the fridge to allow me to work with them .. but .. i wouldn't start poking about around those delicate spiracles and definitely not with anything like Vaseline that could potentially block them.
So, all that's really left for you to try is the dry n clean regime. Thats, bone dry substrate, no misting plus quick removal of uneaten prey parts. If your scorp has need for moisture you can use a small water bowl but be sure not to spill any water on the substrate. What you are trying to achieve is a mite unfriendly environment.
Mites lay their eggs in the damp substrate, so if you remove that possibility all you have to deal with is the mites on the scorp.
Getting rid of those though is another thing altogether. Some people say they've had success with predator mites while some others say they didn't work for them.....problem with predator mites is they usually hunt on and in the substrate, not on scorpions bodies so basically you can do the same as PM's by just cleaning your enclosure and using fresh dry substrate.
Once you've adopted the DnC regime the mites on the scorpion should slowly (first after a few weeks) start to decrease. They're resilient buggers though so don't expect it to happen quickly.
One thing you should be ready for though is when your scorp moults. If you can quickly remove the old exoskeleton within a few minutes of your scorp moulting, you can get rid of a large portion of mites there and then although a few will usually crawl onto the fresh scorpion as it's moulting especially if the scorps have many mites around the chelicerae.
If you don't remove the old moult quickly the mites will just crawl over onto the scorpion again.

The DnC regime will/should eventually dehydrate your scorp which in turn should slightly dry out it's outer layer. It's the moisture on the scorps outer layer that is keeping the mites alive so the balance you're trying to find is one where your scorpion survives but the mites do not....Wink

Good luck
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Around the spiracles...   

Back to top Go down

Around the spiracles...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum! :: The Scorpion's Lair :: Scorpions In General-
Jump to: