The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Scorpion standing tall, *help*

Go down 
+5
Tongue Flicker
Patcho
ShredderEmp
~Abyss~
Gambit577
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Gambit577
Pandinus
Gambit577

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2013-09-04

Scorpion standing tall, *help* Empty
PostSubject: Scorpion standing tall, *help*   Scorpion standing tall, *help* Empty9/4/2013, 3:06 pm

My new Flat Rock scorpion has started lifting itself off the ground raising itself as high as it can go and staying this way for a large amount of time. I don't know what it is doing. When I got it they said it was going to malt soon so does that have anything to do with it? It is a female if that helps.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion standing tall, *help*   Scorpion standing tall, *help* Empty9/4/2013, 4:49 pm

Don't worry glass dancing is normal behavior it should become less and less common as it becomes used to it's enclosure. Welcome to the forum, can you describe your current set up?
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Gambit577
Pandinus
Gambit577

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion standing tall, *help*   Scorpion standing tall, *help* Empty9/4/2013, 6:23 pm

She isn't doing it on the glass, she is fully planted on the ground but raised up as far as it will go. The tank isn't hot its right around 75 to low 80's with the UVB bulb so I can't imagine its because of heat. It is in a exo-terra mini terrarium with a soft eco earth substrate. It gains its shelter from a half pipe log and has a small water dish with a sponge.
Back to top Go down
ShredderEmp
Tityus
ShredderEmp

Number of posts : 515
Registration date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion standing tall, *help*   Scorpion standing tall, *help* Empty9/4/2013, 7:06 pm

That is called stilting. It is done to regulate temperature.
Back to top Go down
Gambit577
Pandinus
Gambit577

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion standing tall, *help*   Scorpion standing tall, *help* Empty9/4/2013, 7:18 pm

Should I do anything or is it okay?
Back to top Go down
ShredderEmp
Tityus
ShredderEmp

Number of posts : 515
Registration date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion standing tall, *help*   Scorpion standing tall, *help* Empty9/4/2013, 8:04 pm

It could mean it is either too hot or too cold, so just ensure the temperatures are correct.
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

Number of posts : 833
Registration date : 2013-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion standing tall, *help*   Scorpion standing tall, *help* Empty9/5/2013, 12:06 am

Luckily, your scorpion knows whats best for itself. It does it out of pure instinct. Your scorp will escape the heat or get closer if it needs to. I recommend turning it off every night, and back on in the morning, even if it's a red lamp. It will encourage natural behaviors.
Back to top Go down
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

Number of posts : 1106
Registration date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion standing tall, *help*   Scorpion standing tall, *help* Empty9/5/2013, 4:56 am

or you maybe keeping the substrate moister than usual? the same thing that Ts usually do when they hate moist substrates
Back to top Go down
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion standing tall, *help*   Scorpion standing tall, *help* Empty9/6/2013, 10:55 am

Regarding your setup, Flat Rock scorpions inhabit cracks and crevices in rock formations, thus the name. Your scorpion would feel much more at home in a stack of flat slate than a half log hide. You should also replace the UVB bulb with either a red bulb or an infrared (IR) heat bulb. Scorpions are highly sensitive to ultraviolet and prolonged exposure can be harmful. They are much less sensitive to red and infrared, and, in general, treat it as no light at all. Finally, remove the sponge from the water dish. If you need to make the dish shallower, add a layer of pebbles or gravel. Sponges are just a harbor for bacteria.
Back to top Go down
RX8 TuRbo
Centruroides
RX8 TuRbo

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion standing tall, *help*   Scorpion standing tall, *help* Empty10/14/2013, 2:12 am

Sounds to me that your scorpion is regulating its internal temperature as stated by ShredderEmp. This is normal behavior but I would try to lower your temp first then raise the heat inside the enclosure to avoid complications. Heat is more damaging then you adjusting it lower a few degrees. And observe frequently on the behavior when you adjust and when you see that they are comfortable in behavior then keep that your hallmark of temp.
Back to top Go down
Smokehound714
Hadogenes

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2013-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion standing tall, *help*   Scorpion standing tall, *help* Empty10/19/2013, 3:22 am

Are the claws lowered to the ground while she does this?
Back to top Go down
TheKevil
Babycurus
TheKevil

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2010-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion standing tall, *help*   Scorpion standing tall, *help* Empty10/19/2013, 5:37 pm

Don't Hadogenes like higher temps? Like high 80's to low 90's or even warmer? That's what I have mine at and he seems to love it. I see him out all the time. If anything, he tries to get closer to the heat tape to bask.
Back to top Go down
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

Number of posts : 1106
Registration date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion standing tall, *help*   Scorpion standing tall, *help* Empty10/24/2013, 12:57 am

OT: jeez kevil you're collection sure did grow since the last time i visited haha
Back to top Go down
TheKevil
Babycurus
TheKevil

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2010-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion standing tall, *help*   Scorpion standing tall, *help* Empty10/24/2013, 5:25 am

Lol. It's expanded a bit, yeah. I liked menagerie. Got a female P. trans and LQ on the way, too, so it's gonna get much bigger!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion standing tall, *help*   Scorpion standing tall, *help* Empty

Back to top Go down

Scorpion standing tall, *help*
Page 1 of 1