The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Does anyone know which species this is?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
geertlpa168
Pandinus
geertlpa168

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2013-08-24

Does anyone know which species this is?  Empty
PostSubject: Does anyone know which species this is?    Does anyone know which species this is?  Empty8/24/2013, 11:25 am

Hi,

Found this during a clean up job at my father-in-law's while on holiday in East-Java, Indonesia.
Does anyone know which species this is?  Scorpi13
Does anyone know which species this is?  Scorpi14
I have done some searching on the internet and lean towards a Heterometrus species. Either the common Asian Jungle scorpion or the Javanese jungle scorpion. When I showed this specimen to one local pet store that sells scorpions they were adamant it was an Emperor scorpion. I then took it to a store that specializes in beetles and other more exotic pets. Without telling him where I got it he showed me 3 specimens of H. cyaneus he has on sale. He showed me how they were similar and glowed blueish, green under light. He was willing to take my one female and exchange her immediately for one pair. He also told me that she is very pregnant.
The top picture was taken this evening in its new home. The bottom picture was taken a few minutes after she was caught.

Is there anyone here that can second this assessment or do you think it is some other species? Thank you
Back to top Go down
ShredderEmp
Tityus
ShredderEmp

Number of posts : 515
Registration date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone know which species this is?    Does anyone know which species this is?  Empty8/24/2013, 11:46 am

It is definatly a Heterometrus species. Not dangerous at all. They like around 4-6 inches of dirt so they can burrow. You can pretty much just replicate it's envornmental parameters since you know where you caught it. These are a close relative of Paninus sp. and can be kept exatly the same.
Back to top Go down
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

Number of posts : 1106
Registration date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone know which species this is?    Does anyone know which species this is?  Empty8/24/2013, 11:47 pm

looks gravid.. the thick pedipalps give it the impression of a H.swammerdami unless otherwise not Very Happy
Back to top Go down
geertlpa168
Pandinus
geertlpa168

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone know which species this is?    Does anyone know which species this is?  Empty8/25/2013, 5:25 am

Thank you both for your replies.
Exoticvirus why would you think it is a H. swammerdami? It was caught on Java in Indonesia which would mean it has spread out from it original habitat. I see you own a H. cyaneus. You don't feel this is one?
Question for anyone else reading this. There seems to be quite a bit of confusion when it comes to Heterometrus species. Are they very distinct species that can't interbreed at all or, I have not found any storeys as yet, is interbreeding possible indicating it might be more appropriate to speak of subspecies in different areas (Thailand, Burma, Malaysia, Laos, Vietnam, Indonesia, etc...)?
Back to top Go down
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone know which species this is?    Does anyone know which species this is?  Empty8/25/2013, 6:02 am

interbreeding between Heterometruses in the wild, virtually if not never happens. i just suggested that cause of the big, thick pinchers that swammers usually have. we have resident ID experts here, let's just wait for their timezone to turn haha
Back to top Go down
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone know which species this is?    Does anyone know which species this is?  Empty8/25/2013, 9:06 pm

hey sir good day, so apparently that's a H. spinifer.. I'll be receiving a pair of spinifers next week that looks like that, that's why Very Happy
Back to top Go down
geertlpa168
Pandinus
geertlpa168

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone know which species this is?    Does anyone know which species this is?  Empty8/25/2013, 11:18 pm

After some more searching around I found an interesting book on the Heterometrus genus. From that scientific reference I'll stick with H. cyaneus for now. But H. spinifer would be my second choice and I can get my hands on a cheap H spinifer male right now so I might just buy that one just for fun. The H. cyaneus on sale at the moment are 40 US$ and up per specimen (male or female) which I find a bit steep.

One more question if I may. I see your current species rolling by. Each species has a 3 digit code in front of it. I assume it is something like males, females, young but in which order or it is something totally different. And how do you make it scroll?
Back to top Go down
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone know which species this is?    Does anyone know which species this is?  Empty8/26/2013, 1:05 am

i'll have to wait til my friend brings the spinifer home so we can compare spp. hehe. i'm currently in the Philippines taking care of some reptile stuff before heading back to Bahrain.

its male, female, unsexed.. the number indicating the quantity. just put [updown][/ updown] without the space between / and updown
Back to top Go down
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone know which species this is?    Does anyone know which species this is?  Empty8/26/2013, 5:22 am

okay so scratch that, my spinifer pair just arrived lol.. dunno if its 6i or 7i but it sure doesn't look like the one above.. mine has a reddish brown sheen with pincers that have greenish hues. hope they grow as fat as that though Very Happy
Back to top Go down
geertlpa168
Pandinus
geertlpa168

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone know which species this is?    Does anyone know which species this is?  Empty8/27/2013, 1:16 am

exoticvirus wrote:

okay so scratch that, my spinifer pair just arrived lol.. dunno if its 6i or 7i but it sure doesn't look like the one above.. mine has a reddish brown sheen with pincers that have greenish hues. hope they grow as fat as that though Very Happy
Thanks and good luck with your H. spinifers.

May I ask. Are you Philippino living in Bahrain or a Bahraini visiting the Philippines to find exotic pets?

Geert
Back to top Go down
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone know which species this is?    Does anyone know which species this is?  Empty8/27/2013, 1:25 am

thanks hope you know what your scorps are haha..

well i'm Japanese-Austrian living in Bahrain and doing business in the Philippines haha! All of my pets come from Philippines and then transported to Bahrain legally Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone know which species this is?    Does anyone know which species this is?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Does anyone know which species this is?
Page 1 of 1