The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Look at my new baby!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
CactusHugger
Babycurus
CactusHugger

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2012-10-03

Look at my new baby! Empty
PostSubject: Look at my new baby!   Look at my new baby! Empty7/15/2013, 9:16 pm

Its a baby haddy! Smile Im pretty excited he is so little and yet has so much attitude and courage. I cant wait to see him grow up Smile

Here he is

Look at my new baby! Haddy10

Here is his enclosure

Look at my new baby! Haddy210
Back to top Go down
ShredderEmp
Tityus
ShredderEmp

Number of posts : 515
Registration date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Look at my new baby!   Look at my new baby! Empty7/15/2013, 11:26 pm

Cool. Just keep in mind that they are notorious for being nearly impossible to raise, but that does not mean it has never been done. However, being in Arizona may help a little.
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

Number of posts : 833
Registration date : 2013-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Look at my new baby!   Look at my new baby! Empty7/16/2013, 12:44 am

He looks so cute!
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Look at my new baby!   Look at my new baby! Empty7/16/2013, 11:08 am

Humidity is key when there this young even if they get a little mycosis they'll molt it out. I'd give him a humidity option for optimal molting success.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
CactusHugger
Babycurus
CactusHugger

PostSubject: Re: Look at my new baby!   Look at my new baby! Empty7/16/2013, 1:49 pm

What do you suggest abyss? A little spray on the sides or so? I heard these guys have a tough time molting so I want to make sure I can raise him well. He ate last night and I gave him about a day to settle in. It's about 40-45% RH in my room and 84-85 degrees F.

Shredder have any suggestions on how I can keep him happy and healthy as well?

Sorry I'd quote but I'm at work on my phone thanks so much guys!!! Smile
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: Look at my new baby!   Look at my new baby! Empty7/16/2013, 2:17 pm

Ask patrick about his set up,I instructed him on what I beleive would be the most optimal way to have the right amount of humidity. Unfortunatly the scorp hasn't molted yet to see if it was a success. But right now were at the experimental stage.
Back to top Go down
ShredderEmp
Tityus
ShredderEmp

Number of posts : 515
Registration date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Look at my new baby!   Look at my new baby! Empty7/16/2013, 4:50 pm

CactusHugger wrote:

Shredder have any suggestions on how I can keep him happy and healthy as well?

I don't keep these guys so i wouldn't know much, but all I can say is try to replicate their environment as best as you can.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: Look at my new baby!   Look at my new baby! Empty7/16/2013, 5:04 pm

This is my recommendation. Get a bottle or any container that you can bury in the substrate and punch tiny holes in it. Then fill it with moist coco fiber as moist as you would for and emp and bury it it in deeps sand. It will offer just a small amount of constant humidity where the scorpion is used to getting in...underground.
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

Number of posts : 833
Registration date : 2013-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Look at my new baby!   Look at my new baby! Empty7/16/2013, 6:18 pm

Cactus, you should do what Ed suggested. It hasn't been proven to work yet in MY conditions, but we'll get results very soon.

Here he is with the last meal he ate, he's refusing all other meals now.
Look at my new baby! Sam_0611

I give him a month and a half, 3 months tops.
Back to top Go down
CactusHugger
Babycurus
CactusHugger

PostSubject: Re: Look at my new baby!   Look at my new baby! Empty7/16/2013, 9:53 pm

Thanks guys keep me informed on what you find out and how successful that guys molt is I suppose I could lightly mist a corner for now until I can make a tiny "humidity ball" so to speak. Appreciate the help though I know there above ground conditions because I live in it I can only assume they have a tiny rise in humidity below ground especially after some of the rains we have had. Ill also keep you posted on how my little guy does. Hopefully I won't go overboard with the humidity and cause mycosis haha.
Back to top Go down
CactusHugger
Babycurus
CactusHugger

PostSubject: Re: Look at my new baby!   Look at my new baby! Empty7/17/2013, 3:35 am

I might do a little experiment myself with humidity using spray with 2 small haddys spraying one often say every 2 weeks and then one maybe every month to month and a half? I will see which one does better and grows or molts successfully. Please let me know if this idea for an experiment is dumb haha that's why I love this hobby there is so much to learn.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: Look at my new baby!   Look at my new baby! Empty7/17/2013, 11:00 am

I've wanted to experiment with this but I don't think misting is a good idea...i mean I'd mist a side of the enclosure regardless to offer them water at least once a month but they prefer to be able to escape the humidity. If your going to spray instead of the technique I mentioned maybe you should spray under hides
Back to top Go down
CactusHugger
Babycurus
CactusHugger

PostSubject: Re: Look at my new baby!   Look at my new baby! Empty7/17/2013, 12:31 pm

Ill give the technique a try and probably get another one and test what happens to both. So when I do bury the bottle or "substrate holding container" do I burry it under the hide or just anywhere in the substrate? Thanks again for all your help guys ill keep you posted on when I get another and what happens to both.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: Look at my new baby!   Look at my new baby! Empty7/17/2013, 1:49 pm

I think one corner of the enclosure would work best of course that just speculation.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: Look at my new baby!   Look at my new baby! Empty7/17/2013, 1:50 pm

I'm hoping this technique works as it'll probably be the cheapest most efficient way of doing it. I've had success in the past but it involved a ton of sand and a huge enclosure.
Back to top Go down
CactusHugger
Babycurus
CactusHugger

PostSubject: Re: Look at my new baby!   Look at my new baby! Empty7/17/2013, 3:21 pm

Thanks! What would you suggest for a small specimen haddy? Say for one thats kept in a deli cup?

As far as misting for water im thinking just one spot about an inch wide in the deli cup?

As for the technique im thinking of taping 2 basic store bought 24 pack water bottle caps together with emperor moist coco fiber substrate in them then drill holes in the tops of the caps then place it deep in the sand substrate within the deli cup.

What are your thoughts on this do you believe this could be a good way of creating a good amount of humidity for molting to simulate underground conditions? Or do you believe in such a small enclosure that this could create a harmful amount of humidity and become unhealthy for the haddy?

I will get another specimen and have one using the bottle cap technique and spray for a water source, and one being a control specimen only using spray and no bottle cap technique.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: Look at my new baby!   Look at my new baby! Empty7/17/2013, 3:42 pm

Hard to say, i wouldn't take the chance of using deli's maybe a small kritter keeper would more appropiate.
Back to top Go down
CactusHugger
Babycurus
CactusHugger

PostSubject: Re: Look at my new baby!   Look at my new baby! Empty7/17/2013, 4:14 pm

True thanks for the help and the technique suggestion ill keep you posted on how it turns out for me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Look at my new baby!   Look at my new baby! Empty

Back to top Go down

Look at my new baby!
Page 1 of 1