The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Scorpion review forum

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
TheKevil
Babycurus
TheKevil

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2010-11-05

Scorpion review forum Empty
PostSubject: Scorpion review forum   Scorpion review forum Empty6/30/2013, 2:42 pm

Had an idea... If we already have something like this and I haven't noticed it, then awesome, but if not, maybe it would be a cool idea... Whatcha think?

We have reviews on products/shops and on breeders, but what about reviews of scorpion species themselves? Maybe this would help some of us when we are looking to pick up specific species.

Example... My B. leptochelys. She's a gorgeous scorpion with awesome feeding habits and fast speeds, making for an exciting show... sometimes. When she's out, which is almost never. Had I known that she was a constant burrower (sometimes even burying herself in the sand) and hardly ever came out, I may not have gotten her.

On the opposite side... H. arizonensis. Awesome personality... killer attitude... amazing strength. Great scorpion to own and observe. Just super common, so not for the collector of rare things.

Of course, reviews would typically want to be longer than that, but you get my meaning, right?

What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
Envyizm
Breeder
Envyizm

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2010-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion review forum   Scorpion review forum Empty7/1/2013, 1:10 pm

In theory this would be a good idea. However, not very many people expose their specimen to ideal conditions, thus would not observe behavior that one could measure with any precision at all. Also, most "collectors" are often taken with novelty, which would highly sway certain individuals observations into exaggerations one way or the other.

Example: Both of the species you listed are burrowers by nature and yet your Buthacus is the only one to receive that label. The Hadrurus behavior was described contrary to the common behaviors of this genus, which is exactly the type of observations that would make a forum like this more detrimental than beneficial to the hobby.

I'm pretty sure a forum like this would have a few people who describe behaviors that fit the species within a certain degree of precision, but there will be a ton of people making extreme exaggerations one way or another, not capable of being subjective in their description and ultimately leading to, yet another, sub forum that contains more static than it does actual signal. I hate to be such a bummer and I really love the thought of being able to do this, really.
Back to top Go down
http://www.insectgeeks.com/Envyizm
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion review forum   Scorpion review forum Empty7/1/2013, 6:45 pm

Well I personally love the idea, I agree with Sean in that it’s not going to be an accurate portrayal of the species because not many people can subjective. However I’d also like to point out that this isn’t a scientific forum and everything here should be taken with a grain of salt. So Sean and Kevin, I don’t know if this can even be done but how about this idea. Firstly if a subforum like this gets created there should be a disclaimer stating that these are all based on experience and opinions of members and by no means does it guarantee accuracy of the scorpion behavior nor does it mean that ScorpionForum agrees with the statements made, and that the only purpose for the review section is to help the hobbyist in determining what kind of scorpion they want to get.
I personally like the idea because like Sean said some scorpion are just novelties now if a scorpion like for example A.pococki is not well know in the hobby but one of my favorite local species and who knows maybe with a great review we might see more of them in circulation. So here’s my idea for it and again keep in mind I don’t know if I can even make this work yet or not so we might have to tweak it. We can import (with permission from Jan) a list of all know scorpion species from the ScorpionFiles each with it’s own Thread in the Scorpion Review forum. Each thread would be limited no comments only reviews and maybe we can even have a format for the review premade. Examples could be Size, Color, Behavior, Petholeness (nor a real word I know), Rarity in the hobby and Over all experience. These were just the first things that came to mind but we can tweak or edit as needed. Idunno….i kind of like the idea of also having an overall average rating similar to something you’d buy on Amazon based on the average of the reviews.  
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
TheKevil
Babycurus
TheKevil

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion review forum   Scorpion review forum Empty7/2/2013, 7:44 pm

Sorry it's taken me a while to chime back in... Had a lot of personal things going on with my parents and family and such. :/

Honestly, I kinda wouldn't mind being able to comment. I think a good discussion about a species could do a lot of good as long as it stays objective and civil. This forum is one of the few places where I think discussions can stay that way pretty easily. I think getting many different perspectives on the species could be great, considering, like you guys said, environment and conditions are huge factors. I do, indeed, like the rating system idea also.

On the different conditions and that affecting the species... Maybe we can make the conditions part of the format? Have something like this:

Species:
Sex (if known):
Size/Instar:
Conditions:
Substrate:
Temperature:
Humidity:
Lighting:
Analysis: (detailed description or write up about species)
Rating:
Rarity:
Activity:
Feeding:
Size:
Temperament:
Overall:

I dunno... It's just an idea. I like your version, also, Eddy, with taking the list and giving each species on the list a rating and review and people posting their ideas of that species as a review similar to Amazon. I just think a discussion about each species would be awesome also. Again, though, as long as it stays objective and civil.

Oh... and the H. arizonensis vs the B. leptochelys... My Hadruras burrows, don't get me wrong... Her enclosure has some awesome burrows that go all throughout. Lol. During the day she stays pretty much in there, but at night she's all over the place. Normal behavior for the species from what I have read. The Buthacus stays in her burrow most of the time except on feeding days.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion review forum   Scorpion review forum Empty7/15/2013, 4:03 pm

So after discussing this with Sean I think I came up with a practical way to do this. And I'll need members help. I'm going to create a species of the month article to give as much info on that species and what makes it worthy of that month honor of being selected. Then members will be able to input their own opinions and rate the species (or genus in some cases). I'm still working out how to do this and I'm open to ideas or suggestions but I think this would be a good way to introduce "different" species besides the ususal Novelty species but I'm trying to get any and all species. So what you guys can do for me is post a list of species you own, currently own or previously owned to help get some speceis up there that will actually get input.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

Number of posts : 870
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion review forum   Scorpion review forum Empty7/15/2013, 5:08 pm

See my sig for my species:)
Back to top Go down
ShredderEmp
Tityus
ShredderEmp

Number of posts : 515
Registration date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion review forum   Scorpion review forum Empty7/15/2013, 5:40 pm

Pandinus imperator
Babycurus jacksoni
Centruroides gracilis
Back to top Go down
TheKevil
Babycurus
TheKevil

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion review forum   Scorpion review forum Empty7/15/2013, 5:41 pm

All in my signature plus P. reddelli. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion review forum   Scorpion review forum Empty

Back to top Go down

Scorpion review forum
Page 1 of 1