The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

H. Arizonensis has been MIA for a week now.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Bayushi-san
Hadogenes
Bayushi-san

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2012-07-01

H. Arizonensis has been MIA for a week now. Empty
PostSubject: H. Arizonensis has been MIA for a week now.   H. Arizonensis has been MIA for a week now. Empty6/6/2013, 2:26 am

As the title states, my most recent addition (A presumably adult H. Arizonensis) has gone missing. She looks to have closed up all of her burrows, and even went as far as to fill in all of the tunnels she'd made on or near the glass. All of the holes she uses to get into her tunnel network have been filled in, and she doesn't go on her nightly adventures. Without a scrap of noise or movement, I'm beginning to become concerned.

The night I saw her last, she ate a big cricket - even made a show of killing it right in front of me. She's done this before, but for a day or two at a time. This is over almost 8 days.

Ideas -

She's always been a little plump, so it's possible she was wild caught gravid and is birthing babies. If this is true, will she come out for food later? H. Arizonensis has a reputation for not being captive bred. What's the call when you get a brood?

She's not adult, and is Molting. I'm honestly afraid of this, since I don't have any real variable humidity inside her tank. If it's too dry, I'll have to hunt for a new Haddy. Sad

She's passed away, and for whatever reason chose to isolate herself before dying. I've seen cats do that - just go hide somewhere to die. I'm curious as to scorpions if they do it.

Questions: I've built her hide out of construction clay/sand mix. If I go digging for her, she won't be able to burrow anymore. What's a good way to check for activity?
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

Number of posts : 833
Registration date : 2013-01-15

PostSubject: Re: H. Arizonensis has been MIA for a week now.   H. Arizonensis has been MIA for a week now. Empty6/6/2013, 2:54 am

That's a tough call man. But, if she's been in there for a week now, completely isolated, i'd start chipping away at the hide looking for her.. Or at the very least open up the entrance of the tunnel so you can see what it's up to.
Back to top Go down
Bayushi-san
Hadogenes
Bayushi-san

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2012-07-01

PostSubject: Re: H. Arizonensis has been MIA for a week now.   H. Arizonensis has been MIA for a week now. Empty6/6/2013, 3:07 am

Dug as far as I could into her main entrance, just more sand. She may have dug out a large pit deep inside. I'll give her a few more days. She did just eat, and if she's having babies, she may be having quite a meal if she doesn't think she can keep them.
Back to top Go down
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: H. Arizonensis has been MIA for a week now.   H. Arizonensis has been MIA for a week now. Empty6/6/2013, 9:04 am

Leave her alone. If she's molting or giving birth, digging her up is just going to cause unnecessary stress. All you can do at this point is wait and see what happens. Haddys can stay hidden and fasting in their burrows for extended periods.
Back to top Go down
lmiller
Centruroides
lmiller

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2011-11-22

PostSubject: Re: H. Arizonensis has been MIA for a week now.   H. Arizonensis has been MIA for a week now. Empty6/8/2013, 6:49 pm

I didnt see my male for over 3 months I would drop a cricket or 2 in there and they would eventually work their way down into the burrow, I guess, because I never saw them again. The one day he just showed up. Wandering around his enclosure again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: H. Arizonensis has been MIA for a week now.   H. Arizonensis has been MIA for a week now. Empty

Back to top Go down

H. Arizonensis has been MIA for a week now.
Page 1 of 1